Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How on EARTH do I hide my Facebook Timeline from the public?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Basically facebook has forced this horrible thing called timeline on everyone and everyone will have to have it by the 6th of March.

When trying to limit my privacy settings, the task has been so huge, I have almost given up!

This is the most BASIC privacy feature: Hiding your profile from the public.

With my old facebook profile, I could make sure that only friends had access to my facebook profile, and the public could not see anything on your facebook account.

Now when entering privacy settings, this feature is not there. When I view my timeline as "public" (to see how the public sees my timeline) they can see everything just like my friends can!!! I might as well have added the entire internet as friends on facebook!!!

I have googled "how to hide your timeline from the public" many times to no avail.

tl;dr Is there anyway I can possibly limit all content on my timeline so that only my friends can access it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've still got the old version don't just check privacy settings, check account settings, I've heard it's been altered so you can now press some button on you're actual timeline to make it private.

It's definitely there, just look a little harder
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to privacy settings.
    You should see a section titled "Control Your Default Privacy". Click on "friends".

Should work...?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death.)
    Basically facebook has forced this horrible thing called timeline on everyone and everyone will have to have it by the 6th of March.

When trying to limit my privacy settings, the task has been so huge, I have almost given up!

With my old facebook profile, I could make sure that only friends had access to my facebook profile, and the public could not see anything on your facebook account.

Now when entering privacy settings, this feature is not there. When I view my timeline as "public" (to see how the public sees my timeline) they can see everything just like my friends can!!! I might as well have added the entire internet as friends on facebook!!!

I have googled "how to hide your timeline from the public" many times to no avail.

tl;dr Is there anyway I can possibly limit all content on my timeline so that only my friends can access it?
    Facebook is all about giving up privacy, babe.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you go to privacy settings, you can limit all past posts. set it to friends only and voila.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only thing people I'm not friends with can see on my profile is the cover pic which is made public automatically () Other than that, all of my privacy settings stayed intact when I converted to the timeline... so perhaps your setting weren't as militant as you thought they were? :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    Go to privacy settings.
    You should see a section titled "Control Your Default Privacy". Click on "friends".

Should work...?
    This. :yep:

I really dislike Timeline, I was forced by Facebook into upgrading. :unimpressed:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Privacy is of no value to facebook.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    When does timeline get forcibly rolled out? OP said 6th March but mine is still old school :beard:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death.)

wait WHATTTT... no I don't want timeline.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to privacy settings, and the main feature of the page is three radio buttons: public, friends and custom.

Obviously click friends or custom and then use the individual settings underneath to set it more finely? "how you connect" is the main one
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dear Facebook, if I had wanted Timeline then I would have converted my account myself by now. Can you not just leave us non-timeliners alone? Twitter would never assert such influence on me... :rolleyes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aek-94)
    This. :yep:

I really dislike Timeline, I was forced by Facebook into upgrading. :unimpressed:
    how?? i haven't been forced yet... what did they do? did they give you any time to adjust settings and pictures and hide posts etc. before going public?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    When does timeline get forcibly rolled out? OP said 6th March but mine is still old school :beard:
    same... at least half my friends still have normal old facebook
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually mind the new timeline, just didn't want to buck the trend by going early :teehee:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Delete (careful, delete, not de-activate) your account, make a new one and then set the permissions individually to every new post. Simples.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    how?? i haven't been forced yet... what did they do? did they give you any time to adjust settings and pictures and hide posts etc. before going public?
    They're rolling it out starting today, without a choice
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    They're rolling it out starting today, without a choice
    ohh that sucks, don't you get any time to adjust it privately?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only real way to achieve privacy is to not use facebook at all.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    ohh that sucks, don't you get any time to adjust it privately?
    Not sure, I did it when it first came out (oblivious to what it actually was haha).

(Original post by JC.)
    The only real way to achieve privacy is to not use facebook at all.
    Yep.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 10, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.