The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adeelmnm
The academic side is scored with GCSE grades but as they say that they recognise individuals develop in different ways therefore strong AS score can compensate for weak GCSEs. Also 4 A's at AS get you full academic marks as long as your GCSEs are above the minimum requirements

The PS score is the same as most unis motivation to study medicine, evidence of work experience, empathy, extra curricular, strong attributes shown etc.

In your case where you are resitting BSMS say:
BSMS will consider re-sit applicants. However, due the large number of applications that we receive, we will ordinarily only consider applications from individuals who have slipped a grade in one subject and obtained a B (plus 2 A grades). You will be required to be predicted, and subsequently to attain, an A in the subject that you are re-taking to be eligible for consideration.

this may help
http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/faqs/

hope it helped

VERY helpful, thanks a lot! :-)
Original post by itssochaotic
Anyone else here a re-sit candidate? And how are people working out their scores out of 20? :s

i am! i'd phone them
Original post by medicaldude
i am! i'd phone them

haha, nice to see u on this thread as well :P
haha, nice to see u on this thread as well :P

loool

are you also in the exeter thread ?

we both applied to lesicter last time too! lmao
(edited 11 years ago)
loool

are you also in the exeter thread ?

we both applied to lesicter last time too! lmao

loool as if! was bound to happen, since as re-sitters we only had like 6 unis to choose from :P and no, i'm not on that thread..yet haha. i'm gonna go join that now lololol. ur 4th uni isnt liverpool by any chance is it? :P
loool as if! was bound to happen, since as re-sitters we only had like 6 unis to choose from :P and no, i'm not on that thread..yet haha. i'm gonna go join that now lololol. ur 4th uni isnt liverpool by any chance is it? :P

decided to do the BMAT and applied for imperial

lmao. hardest exam i have done to date

we resitters will proly end up in the same uni's lmao. if we get in
decided to do the BMAT and applied for imperial

lmao. hardest exam i have done to date

we resitters will proly end up in the same uni's lmao. if we get in

ohh nice, didn't know Imperial took re-sitters. all the best with that! Hahaha, let's see :P
ohh nice, didn't know Imperial took re-sitters. all the best with that! Hahaha, let's see :P

they don't=p had extenuating circumstances

and mhmm we shall see
Reply 308
I'm currently at Brighton University studying Biomedical Science and we get the chance to convert to Medicine after the first year or after 3 years. I'm planning on applying after 3 years as long as I meet the following requirements:

Conditions for guaranteed interview in year 3 (or year 4 if applying via the MPharm route)
Academic

GCSE grade B or equivalent in Maths and English
Subject qualifications (from A level or degree) in Biology and Chemistry
70% weighted overall average for year 2
Other

Taken UKCAT in the previous summer (possibly specified minimum score, but not set high)
Made a UCAS application to BSMS
Specified level of professional experience completed by October of year 3
Excellent record for class attendance & assignment submission by deadline
Timetable
Nominations of qualified applicants by Brighton in October
BSMS interview in November. Interviews would be standard BSMS interviews (50% success rate) and the interview panel would not know that these candidates were in any way unusual.

Professional experience requirements (typically)
At least X [3-4] qualifying observational or learning placements (minimum 5 days each), to include at least one placement in an acute care setting and at least one placement in a primary or acute care setting.
At least X days [say 30 for year 1, 60 for year 3] work experience providing hands-on care as volunteer or employee dealing with common patient groups [e.g. HCA role in acute or community sector; in elderly care or nursing home; with special needs or disabled patients; in a community pharmacy].
For year 3 applicants a proportion of experience required within the previous 12 months.

I'm considering this, has anyone else done the same ? I know graduate entry is a LOT harder then undergraduate entry but has anyone been successful in anything like this ?
Reply 309
Original post by YB101
I'm currently at Brighton University studying Biomedical Science and we get the chance to convert to Medicine after the first year or after 3 years. I'm planning on applying after 3 years as long as I meet the following requirements:

Conditions for guaranteed interview in year 3 (or year 4 if applying via the MPharm route)
Academic

GCSE grade B or equivalent in Maths and English
Subject qualifications (from A level or degree) in Biology and Chemistry
70% weighted overall average for year 2
Other

Taken UKCAT in the previous summer (possibly specified minimum score, but not set high)
Made a UCAS application to BSMS
Specified level of professional experience completed by October of year 3
Excellent record for class attendance & assignment submission by deadline
Timetable
Nominations of qualified applicants by Brighton in October
BSMS interview in November. Interviews would be standard BSMS interviews (50% success rate) and the interview panel would not know that these candidates were in any way unusual.

Professional experience requirements (typically)
At least X [3-4] qualifying observational or learning placements (minimum 5 days each), to include at least one placement in an acute care setting and at least one placement in a primary or acute care setting.
At least X days [say 30 for year 1, 60 for year 3] work experience providing hands-on care as volunteer or employee dealing with common patient groups [e.g. HCA role in acute or community sector; in elderly care or nursing home; with special needs or disabled patients; in a community pharmacy].
For year 3 applicants a proportion of experience required within the previous 12 months.

I'm considering this, has anyone else done the same ? I know graduate entry is a LOT harder then undergraduate entry but has anyone been successful in anything like this ?

Oh no, you need to take the UKCAT again?!!
Hate that test...uhhh

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 310
For those who want to know it, applicants will hear about the interviews from mid-January onwards.

Thus, still a long time to there!!
Reply 311
Also, here is the admissions procedure when they assess our applications:

"When assessing applications our admissions assessors will score academic qualifications out of 20 points and the other aspects of an application, including your relevant experience and non-academic activities, out of a further 20 points. There is no minimum score for GCSEs during assessment. In fact as long as there is evidence of strong predicted IB grades within the application this will supersede GCSE support (obviously the minimum requirement of grade B for both English and Maths is still required) if we deem it academically stronger than the GCSEs on show.
You will also need to sit the UKCAT the summer prior to applying via UCAS (www.ukcat.ac.uk). At present we consider UKCAT scores as just part of the overall picture. We do not operate a cut-off system. However we do not use the UKCAT score to prioritise candidates for interview and we do not reveal the score to interviewers, we nevertheless observed with hindsight that the candidates prioritised for interview had (on average) UKCAT scores well above average, and that those with UKCAT scores in the higher range were also much more likely to be recommended by interviewers. However there were individual candidates with low UKCAT scores who had otherwise excellent academic grades and top interview ratings, and who we are happy to have joining us. We shall of course be monitoring the outcome, and there may be changes in the way we use this information in the future.

With reference to the non-academic criteria required, this will mainly come from your personal statement. All forms of extracurricular activities can appeal to assessors once the non-academic aspects of your application come to be considered - from a noted talent or commitment in music, sport, the arts. All these areas could help strengthen your application. Voluntary/work experience will also be assessed and, if in evidence in the application, awarded.

BSMS Admissions"

Hope this helps!
Anybody know how many people are getting interviewed for bsms? And how many people will get offers?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 313
For graduates:

I just got an email from BSMS asking for my degree transcript...did you guys send it with your application form on the 15th october?

because it takes 10 days for me to get a transcript from uni...maybe i should have sent it with my application to speed things up.
Reply 314
Last year there were about 2500 applicants. There are 137 places.
Original post by Fi-Bi-G
Last year there were about 2500 applicants. There are 137 places.

We're all screwed
Reply 316
how many people do they usually interview? and how many offers would they normally give out?
Ahh, so nervous! Don't suppose anybody has heard anything yet? Apparently the first batch of interviews get sent out sometime in December?
Good Luck everyone!
:santa3:
Reply 318
Original post by KeepYourHeadUp
Ahh, so nervous! Don't suppose anybody has heard anything yet? Apparently the first batch of interviews get sent out sometime in December?
Good Luck everyone!
:santa3:

i thought it was second week of jan that we hear?
Original post by Dixie
i thought it was second week of jan that we hear?

I could be wrong, I just remember hearing that somewhere :smile: where else have you applied if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending