The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by .eXe
Great, thanks for clearing that up. I received contradictory info from them a few weeks back but they seem to have changed the scores for this year.

They probably gave you information regarding 2012 applications and didn't realise their policy changed for 2013 :tongue:.

It happens :smile:

Wondering if you're going to say sorry to the other person :colone: jk jk

But I'd like to find out exactly what they mark non academics for? Like sports? Or is it solely PS based?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 41
Original post by Doctor.
They probably gave you information regarding 2012 applications and didn't realise their policy changed for 2013 :tongue:.

It happens :smile:

Wondering if you're going to say sorry to the other person :colone: jk jk

But I'd like to find out exactly what they mark non academics for? Like sports? Or is it solely PS based?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well it was a mistake on their part not mine so I won't be offering any apologies. My job is to let people know what I know. If the information given by the primary source is false, I can't be blamed for it.

Non academics is PS and reference. Exactly what they look for in the PS I don't know but I can tell you that my interview was highly PS focused; so they do place considerable emphasis on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is it worth applying with AAAB? With B in English Lit (dropping and retaking?)
what sort of UKCAT score do BSMS look for?
Reply 44
Is it possible they'd accept A*AB instead of AAA?
To answer the 3 above questions: based on applying last year a-levels of AAA or A*AB were all that was looked for and so a fourth AS does not matter; the UKCAT score is used with borderline candidates post-interveiw and so UKCATs really do not matter (a variety of scores featured in last years applicants whom gained places)
Reply 46
Can somebody tell me if i have a good chance at getting an interview?

GCSEs: A*AAAAABBBBB
A levels : A*A*AA (maths, physics, bio, chem)
Ukcat - Pending
Work experience - 1 1/2 years at st. john ambulance, 3 weeks helping elderly and special needs adults in lourdes, 3 days on a cardiology ward, 2 weeks in a general practice

THANK YOU :biggrin:

I'm a reapplicant btw
Reply 47
Original post by taz101
Is it possible they'd accept A*AB instead of AAA?

This is the reason I'm applying to BSMS. They and Keele are the only medical schools in the country which accept these grades. I have them too and it's exceptionally frustrating. I've been calling up all the other medical schools, just in case, but no luck yet. I'm about 1/3 through.

I hate that I'm 1 UMS below the A boundary in my non-science subject (Geography) and yet my A* is completely ignored in other medical schools. Makes me want to slap them. :angry:

However, I love BSMS and Keele right now.
If you have your achieved grades, do you get full academic marks like last year? :beard:
If I have 8A* 1.5A 1B at GCSE and AAAB at AS, how would i do on the academic point score- I'm conceerned about my B in English.
Original post by Toppy
This is the reason I'm applying to BSMS. They and Keele are the only medical schools in the country which accept these grades. I have them too and it's exceptionally frustrating. I've been calling up all the other medical schools, just in case, but no luck yet. I'm about 1/3 through.

I hate that I'm 1 UMS below the A boundary in my non-science subject (Geography) and yet my A* is completely ignored in other medical schools. Makes me want to slap them. :angry:

However, I love BSMS and Keele right now.

Have you checked KCL? :smile:
Reply 51
Do BSMS accept EPQ?
Reply 52
Original post by AspiringGenius
Have you checked KCL? :smile:

Yes. No luck I'm afraid
Reply 53
Can i just get one thing clear... This whole big argument i just read was about whether or not they score your academics/PS out of 15 or 20?

Jeez some people need to relax. It doesn't make a difference it seems to your chances anyway.
Original post by AspiringGenius
If I have 8A* 1.5A 1B at GCSE and AAAB at AS, how would i do on the academic point score- I'm conceerned about my B in English.

I know 4 a's at as scores you 20/20 on academic so I guess its probably 5 marks for every a, four for a b etc (just guessing) so you should be fine 19/20 ish . As it isn't in one of your main subjects it shouldn't matter too much, just make up for it in your personal statement :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Original post by KeepYourHeadUp
I know 4 a's at as scores you 20/20 on academic so I guess its probably 5 marks for every a, four for a b etc (just guessing) so you should be fine 19/20 ish . As it isn't in one of your main subjects it shouldn't matter too much, just make up for it in your personal statement :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire

:s-smilie: But the PS is sooooooooo subjective.
i may apply here if they accept my exentuating cirucmstance
Reply 57
how do they score your academics if you have completed your a levels. Do you need 4A*s for 20/20?
If so that seems harsh seeing as it's easier to get 4As at as level.
Reply 59
Wait...4 A's at AS scores 20/20 for academics? Just like that? Totally ignoring GCSE's?!

FINALLY. I can compete for a place in medical school...:wink:

(sounds too good to be true, but a girl can dream...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending