The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuziieB
Wait...4 A's at AS scores 20/20 for academics? Just like that? Totally ignoring GCSE's?!

FINALLY. I can compete for a place in medical school...:wink:

(sounds too good to be true, but a girl can dream...)

I think they look at your GCSE's and AS's and score them, whichever one you did better in, will be your academic score, so yes 4A's should get you full marks :wink:
Reply 61
Original post by This Honest
I think they look at your GCSE's and AS's and score them, whichever one you did better in, will be your academic score, so yes 4A's should get you full marks :wink:

Yeah...I definitely did better at AS...have also got a possible A* in ze EPQ so hopefully they realize that I worked my butt off and my GCSE's are in no way representative of my capabilities.
(Obviously worded it morre politely in ze Personal statement.. :rolleyes:)
3 A* and 9As at GCSE
4 As at AS level
Predicted 3 As in Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy (Dropped English)
Doing an EPQ on Stem Cells
UKCAT average of 680

How do I stand - with a chance?
Reply 63
Original post by lordmackery
3 A* and 9As at GCSE
4 As at AS level
Predicted 3 As in Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy (Dropped English)
Doing an EPQ on Stem Cells
UKCAT average of 680

How do I stand - with a chance?

You get maximum academic score because you got 4 A's at AS. I'm sure of it because they emailed me just this afternoon:

If we see aaaa at AS level in your UCAS application you will get maximum academic score.

Kind regards

BSMS Admissions
Original post by SuziieB
You get maximum academic score because you got 4 A's at AS. I'm sure of it because they emailed me just this afternoon:

If we see aaaa at AS level in your UCAS application you will get maximum academic score.

Kind regards

BSMS Admissions

Thanks, what's the weighting on the UKCAT like?
Reply 65
Original post by lordmackery
Thanks, what's the weighting on the UKCAT like?

Almost non existent. Basically if needs be, to decide between two similar applicants after the interview. But they have said that:

We nevertheless observed with hindsight that the candidates prioritised for interview had (on average) UKCAT scores well above average, and that those with UKCAT scores in the higher range were also much more likely to be recommended by interviewers.

...all from the e-mail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Hey guys, well my UCAS deadline is in three days :frown: and I have not decided on my 4th Uni! ¬¬ Im thinking of one outside of London... So far either, BSMS, Nottingham, UEA, Keele, Exeter or Plymouth.. I NEED HELP. :frown: My (London) choices are St George's, Barts and Imperial.
If you guys could advise me about whether or not to apply here would be GREAT xD
So my "profile":
- GCSE 4A* and 7A's (one A* and A in short courses)
- AS: AAAA
- A2 Predictions: A*A*A* (Im scared i wont achieve them :frown:((( - What kinda conditional grades would i get??)
- UKCAT: 688
- Two work experiences (1- hospital and 1- GP) and two permanent volunteering placements.
- Hopefully a good PS.

What should I do? D:
Reply 67
Original post by JananyS
Hey guys, well my UCAS deadline is in three days :frown: and I have not decided on my 4th Uni! ¬¬ Im thinking of one outside of London... So far either, BSMS, Nottingham, UEA, Keele, Exeter or Plymouth.. I NEED HELP. :frown: My (London) choices are St George's, Barts and Imperial.
If you guys could advise me about whether or not to apply here would be GREAT xD
So my "profile":
- GCSE 4A* and 7A's (one A* and A in short courses)
- AS: AAAA
- A2 Predictions: A*A*A* (Im scared i wont achieve them :frown:((( - What kinda conditional grades would i get??)
- UKCAT: 688
- Two work experiences (1- hospital and 1- GP) and two permanent volunteering placements.
- Hopefully a good PS.

What should I do?

D:

Hello!!
I am currently at Peninsula medical school (plymouth) and I can say it is brilliant!
Your 'profile' has nothing to worry about to if you apply.
The course, student life and learning experience is amazing.

Definitely consider it, you won't regret it.
Best of luck!
Reply 68
Has anyone emailed BSMS recently and got a reply? I emailed over a week ago and so far have only got the automated response.

They must be really busy.
I've got my achieved A-level grades.

Called them up yesterday, he said I would get 14/15 because of my B in the 4th AS :colonhash:
Someone said it was out of 20??Someone also said you get full marks if you have your achieved A-level grades??

:unsure:
Can someone give me a link to where they said about their scoring system? I tried to go on their website but can't find it? :confused:
Reply 71
I've got my achieved A-level grades.

Called them up yesterday, he said I would get 14/15 because of my B in the 4th AS :colonhash:
Someone said it was out of 20??Someone also said you get full marks if you have your achieved A-level grades??

:unsure:

They want 4 A's either at AS or the A level. It is out of a possible 20. An A* makes no difference as well.

I think they have an obsession with consistency. :dontknow:
Reply 72
Original post by Future_Dr
Can someone give me a link to where they said about their scoring system? I tried to go on their website but can't find it? :confused:

You gotta email them.
Original post by SuziieB
They want 4 A's either at AS or the A level. It is out of a possible 20. An A* makes no difference as well.

I think they have an obsession with consistency. :dontknow:

It's so stupid! One man on the phone said out of 15. I get 14.
A person on this thread who said she's up to date with the admin process since she knows them, said its out of 20 and AAA will get you full marks :sigh:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 74
It's so stupid! One man on the phone said out of 15. I get 14.
A person on this thread who said she's up to date with the admin process since she knows them, said its out of 20 and AAA will get you full marks :sigh:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What are your A levels? I would imagine that three A's should get you full marks..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
What are your A levels? I would imagine that three A's should get you full marks..

Posted from TSR Mobile

three A's but the man said my fourth AS not at an A means I get 14/15.
I'm just confused with the admin atm.
I'm not even 100% sure if it's out of 15 or 20? :lol:
Reply 76
Wahooo applying here this year :biggrin:
Reply 77
Does anyone know if it's too risky applying to BSMS with aaab at AS (b in maths, As in bio, chem and English lit)? I have 7A* 3A and 1B at GCSEs but I didn't really get the A*s in sciences, does that matter?
Considering applying here, at A2 I've got AAB (German, Chemistry, Biology - German is 2 UMS off an A*, so it's being re-marked). The AS Levels are: AAABb (German, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Critical Thinking).

I'm a re-sit applicant, re-sitting Biology and my predicted grade will be an A.

At GCSEs, I have 8 A*, 1 A, 1 B (A in Core Science, B in English Language)

Can anyone guesstimate what my academic score would be?

Cheers :biggrin:
Reply 79
Original post by ~ariel
Does anyone know if it's too risky applying to BSMS with aaab at AS (b in maths, As in bio, chem and English lit)? I have 7A* 3A and 1B at GCSEs but I didn't really get the A*s in sciences, does that matter?

You can definitely apply! You will not get full academic criteria but probably just 1 mark off...maybe 18/19 out of 20...just make sure your ps is top notch.

Original post by thegodofgod
Considering applying here, at A2 I've got AAB (German, Chemistry, Biology - German is 2 UMS off an A*, so it's being re-marked). The AS Levels are: AAABb (German, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Critical Thinking).

I'm a re-sit applicant, re-sitting Biology and my predicted grade will be an A.

At GCSEs, I have 8 A*, 1 A, 1 B (A in Core Science, B in English Language)

Can anyone guesstimate what my academic score would be?

Cheers :biggrin:

Not full marks as you didn't get 4 A's at AS level but probably 18/19 out of 20..don't really know though. You should probably email them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending