The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuziieB
You can definitely apply! You will not get full academic criteria but probably just 1 mark off...maybe 18/19 out of 20...just make sure your ps is top notch.

Not full marks as you didn't get 4 A's at AS level but probably 18/19 out of 20..don't really know though. You should probably email them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you 100% sure it's out of 20?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 81
Original post by This Honest
Are you 100% sure it's out of 20?

No, I'm actually not. It's just a rumour going around :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Does anybody know what the scoring system is for the academic requirements? and also what score out of 20 is the minimum required to be considered further? Thanks!
Original post by SuziieB
No, I'm actually not. It's just a rumour going around :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:mmm:

Original post by Maden222
Does anybody know what the scoring system is for the academic requirements? and also what score out of 20 is the minimum required to be considered further? Thanks!

No minimum but there will be overall cutoff depending on how strong the applications they receive.

Last year, it was out of 30. (15 for academic and 15 for PS)
The cut off was 25.5/30.

Reply 85
No minimum but there will be overall cutoff depending on how strong the applications they receive.

Last year, it was out of 30. (15 for academic and 15 for PS)
The cut off was 25.5/30.

Hey, do you think that medicine applicants numbers would have reduced since overall university applicants have gone down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Hey, do you think that medicine applicants numbers would have reduced since overall university applicants have gone down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: I hope so but tbh it will hardly make a difference because the majority are very strong applicants!

Original post by SuziieB
Not full marks as you didn't get 4 A's at AS level but probably 18/19 out of 20..don't really know though. You should probably email them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks :smile:

Just thought I'd ask here before annoying the admissions people :wink:
Can someone please copy the scoring system here because they are taking awfully long to respond from email.
Reply 89
When assessing applications our admissions assessors will score academic qualifications out of 20 points and the other aspects of an application, including your relevant experience and non-academic activities, out of a further 20 points. There is no minimum score for GCSEs during assessment. In fact as long as there is evidence of strong year 12 grades within the application this will supersede GCSE support (obviously the minimum requirement of grade B for both English and Maths is still required) if we deem it academically stronger than the GCSEs on show. We do not prescribe any subjects students should take as the 'third' A level, with only General Studies and Critical Thinking normally being excluded from conditional offers.

You will also need to sit the UKCAT the summer prior to applying via UCAS (www.ukcat.ac.uk). At present we consider UKCAT scores as just part of the overall picture. We do not operate a cut-off system. However we do not use the UKCAT score to prioritise candidates for interview and we do not reveal the score to interviewers, we nevertheless observed with hindsight that the candidates prioritised for interview had (on average) UKCAT scores well above average, and that those with UKCAT scores in the higher range were also much more likely to be recommended by interviewers. However there were individual candidates with low UKCAT scores who had otherwise excellent academic grades and top interview ratings, and who we are happy to have joining us. We shall of course be monitoring the outcome, and there may be changes in the way we use this information in the future.

With reference to the non-academic criteria required, this will mainly come from your personal statement. All forms of extracurricular activities can appeal to assessors once the non-academic aspects of your application come to be considered - from a noted talent or commitment in music, sport, the arts. All these areas could help strengthen your application. Voluntary/work experience will also be assessed and, if in evidence in the application, awarded.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kind regards

BSMS Admissions

Then I replied:

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Is there any chance that I could have an idea how I would score out of 20 in the academic criteria?

And they replied:

Hi

If we see aaaa at AS level in your UCAS application you will get maximum academic score.

Kind regards

BSMS Admissions
Reply 90
any one else applying as a resit applicant ? got A*AB this year but bsms don't accept this anymore, only keele!
anyone know how much bsms look down on resits compared to other unis like exeter, plymouth and liverpool?
Reply 91
Hi I'm thinking of possibly applying to BSMS as well.
I'm split between Sheffield and Brighton for my last choice I know both look at personal statements a lot but does anyone know who's stricter on P.S?

And how many places are there for the A100 course for 2013?:smile:
Reply 92
...well, here goes nothing. :redface:

I've sent in my applications. All I can do is wait until October and hope for the best.

(BTW, if not for my school who are so extra and love everything extra, extra early, I would have waited till October when they can actually start making decisions and have received our UKCAT grades. "applying early gives you. a better chance of an interview," our school said. Just BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
...well, here goes nothing. :redface:

I've sent in my applications. All I can do is wait until October and hope for the best.

(BTW, if not for my school who are so extra and love everything extra, extra early, I would have waited till October when they can actually start making decisions and have received our UKCAT grades. "applying early gives you. a better chance of an interview," our school said. Just BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the bright side, you can focus on your A-level now. :smile:

Reply 94
Yeah I suppose :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
I have 7A*'s 2A's and AAAa at a-level, what do I score in academics?
Reply 96
Original post by Tan Theta
I have 7A*'s 2A's and AAAa at a-level, what do I score in academics?

15 / 15 if 4 A's at AS level :biggrin:
Original post by randa23

He's already completed his A-levels :nothing:

Reply 98
He's already completed his A-levels :nothing:

oops :P
Reply 99
Original post by randa23

SO does that mean I score full marks since I have AAAa at alevel aready.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending