Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have a phobia?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Fear of the sky/moon/sun/planets/space/ocean/deep water etc.

I have a phobia of space (and the aforementioned that are related to it). When I see pictures of the Earth (or the moon/sun or any other planet for that matter) I get this feeling that I'm falling from space into it. I earlier today that I fear this because because I'm so scared that when I [metaphorically] 'fall', no one will catch me. I seem to have displaced this fear (thank you, Freud&Psychology AS!) onto the inanimate objects that are the sky/moon/sun/planets/space etc.

Similar thing with the ocean/deep/a lot of water - I fear that if I drown (like the falling) then no one will be there to help/save me

Also, I'm a massive arachnophobic! Two years ago my sister woke up at 2am and told me she saw a spider next to my pillow (she could've been sleep talking/dreaming for all I know - I didn't see it!) and for the 6 weeks after that (summer holidays) I slept on the sofa in my living room!
    I'm totally with you on the space/sea thing... It's the idea of being completely alone and unreachable in the great unknown. I find space fascinating but the idea of being up there makes me feel sick... And don't even get me started on the opening scene from Titanic!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    heights, creepy crawlies, being vulnerable, alone, dying,
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cynophobia.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be terrified of big, white moths (yes just the white ones). Wtf is up with the powder they leave? I used to have to leave a room squealing whenever I came within close radius to one, and would demand that someone execute it for me. But I think I've matured a lot recently, so I'll let them carry on doing their mothing this Summer. Bashing themselves against lampshades repeatedly and so on. Fools.

Now I just really hate those creepy puppets that ventriloquists always have on their knees. They make me feel ACTUALLY sick.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Fear of the sky/moon/sun/planets/space/ocean/deep water etc.

I have a phobia of space (and the aforementioned that are related to it). When I see pictures of the Earth (or the moon/sun or any other planet for that matter) I get this feeling that I'm falling from space into it. I earlier today that I fear this because because I'm so scared that when I [metaphorically] 'fall', no one will catch me. I seem to have displaced this fear (thank you, Freud&Psychology AS!) onto the inanimate objects that are the sky/moon/sun/planets/space etc.

Similar thing with the ocean/deep/a lot of water - I fear that if I drown (like the falling) then no one will be there to help/save me

Also, I'm a massive arachnophobic! Two years ago my sister woke up at 2am and told me she saw a spider next to my pillow (she could've been sleep talking/dreaming for all I know - I didn't see it!) and for the 6 weeks after that (summer holidays) I slept on the sofa in my living room!
    Damn, I wouldn't want to have your fears. All the best in overcoming them, though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gerontophobia ( fear of old people ) - yeah i suffer from this and also like fear of getting old you know like getting wrinkles and stuff. im not scared of dying just the whole looking really old and not being able to do anything for myself anymore

Mottephobia ( fear of moths ) - im really scared of moths they freak me out have to hide under a duvet or run out of the room. if one lands on me or flies directly towards my face i gotta shower use facial scrub just freak me out so bad. one landed on my pillow before i changed the pillow case flipped it but i was still thinking MOTH MOTH MOTH on it hours later.. i get like a shiver up my spine when i see one trying to get in the window .. so big and hairy and creepy ugghh

apart from those 2 im really ok with everything else nothing phases me.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid of crowds and strangers (in fact, sometimes I'd rather take my chances in a cage with a lion). I don't think I can be classed as a claustrophobe, though, because I don't mind closed in areas when I'm alone/with people I know.

I used to be afraid of certain dogs, too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Super realistic wax models of people make me somewhat uneasy, but I think that's the closest thing I have to a phobia.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tall buildings and high ceilings. I went to Durham Cathedral once and had to crawl out, I feel as though I am going to be I have this problem with the sky too and cannot lie flat outside due to it, without feeling physically sick. I have huge problems with skyscrapes, churches, the sky, the thought of space, trees, mountains, stairwells, lift shafts..
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Flying. But give me some diazepam and I'll get on a plane fine. Otherwise I'm throwing up at the airport, unable to sleep for days beforehand, shaking, panicky...something about being in a tiny metal tube thousands of feet off the ground terrifies me.

Also claustrophobia. Probably from my brothers shutting me in small spaces and not letting me out when I was younger. I'm not good in any situation where I can't walk out. I was on a locked psychiatric ward once and I felt like I was going insane from the lack of freedom.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arachnephobia- Fear of spiders (my fear spreads to most insects, sea crustaceans and anything with creepy legs!)

Fear of flying - i think it's more a huuuge dislike rather than a phobia. I just don't like the feeling of not being in control and feeling helpless if something goes wrong - putting too much trust in people we don't know thousands of feet up in the air!!

I also don't like open, high places! I'm fine going up but when i stop and look around i get all dizzy, panicky and refuse to budge. I'll just sit in a spot and it takes an age to bring me back down.

I've also got this fear of being locked up in a small place where i'll have no possible means of escape! Hope this never happens!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I only have two phobias that desperately terrify me.

The first is of insects - and I mean any insect. From the smallest of money spiders to butterflies, and from slaters crawling across the ground to fluttering moths, I am deathly afraid of them. I cringe, I freeze and I have to keep them in my line of sight until someone else deals with them. If no one else is in the house with me, I sic the dogs on the insect. I'm not even joking.

The second is a mild form of a rare phobia called 'haphephobia'. I say mild not because it doesn't scare me as much as it could, but because of its selectness in position. The phobia 'haphephobia' means 'a fear of being touched'. However, I only have a fear of being touched on my neck, be it front, side or back. Most of my friends know not to touch my neck, but there have been times when touchy-feely drunks/strangers have touched my neck only to find their hands slapped away and my anger replacing the previous warmth. I heavily dislike anything touching my neck. I find it difficult to wear clothing that is restrictive at the neck - wearing a tie as part of my school uniform was torture, and I often wore it much looser than I perhaps should have. The same goes for turtle-necked t-shirts or jumpers; whilst I can wear them, I find myself tugging at the neck and being very conscious of my breathing. I'm not at all sure as to why I have this fear - I've never been strangled or been attacked in that manner, so I can't put it to a fear arising from a past experience.

Any ideas?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only one I have is of blood. The site of a lot of blood makes me come close to vomiting / feinting. Despite how illogical it is I can't stop it, it's just my bodies reaction. Small cuts don't do it but for example having a blood test makes me feel very bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fear of failure, the idea of being another average Joe is sickening!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clowns! Clowns are the worst...

Also heights, flying, sharp objects, deep water and sharks.

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Katsaridaphobia.
    (just googled that now..)

cockroaches.
    even the word is making me feel sick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have 4 phobias:

really hate spiders, snakes and reptiles as i had a dream i was in a reptile house and the tanks shattered, covering me in all these spiders, snakes and reptiles, freaked me out and cant go near any of them now.

clowns are really creepy, so scared of them.

nettles scare me: when i was 3 i fell down a bank large covered in nettles at a birthday party, in a dress. the dress rode up when i was falling down it and i ended up being stung over the large majority of my body (like the stings completely covered my legs, arms, most of my torso and some of my neck as well) was so painful and really not a fun experience, so understandably has put me off them. (apparently its called Cnidophobia, which is a fear of stings)

i am also scared of small spaces/feeling trapped, which is probably my biggest issue due to several bad experiences. i got trapped in my nanas shed for 3 hours when i was about 7 and no-one heard me screaming to get out. i had an mri scan for about an hour where i couldnt move and something on my head to keep it pinned still. and i have sleep paralysis sometimes so have the feeling of being trapped in my own body unable to move. im ok with lifts but this has kind of left me with a fear of being trapped and i try to avoid sheds as well.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a fear of balloons bursting. The anticipation of it really grinds my gears.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    mine is pretty common :L spiders but a few years ago I was scared of apples, seriously :L
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    mine is pretty common :L spiders but a few years ago I was scared of apples, seriously :L
    Any reason you were afraid of apples?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 5, 2012
New on TSR

Starting your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.