The Student Room Group

How do you write the number four?

Poll

How do you write the number four?

There's no correct or incorrect method, as it [the number four] depends on the typeface. I am interested to find out how the TSR public writes the number four.

Do you:
A) Write it with an angled back, and a closed top, such as is common on your keyboard: 4.
B) Write it with a 90* angle, and an open top, such as is common in digital displays? (See here for visual representation).

EDIT: I forgot a third option which is a hybrid of the two:
C) Write it with an angled back, and an open top, such as drawn by one TSR member? (See here).
- Up to you how you decide on this one in the polls, if they look more like the first option (4) with just a slight gap, go for that! If the gap is slightly larger and the angle not exactly 45*, then go for the second option!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
B.
I write it the first way. Not sure why, I think when I was younger I made a conscious effort to draw them that way.

:tongue:
Reply 3
The first option. Why?
Reply 4
I write it as IV
Reply 5
I write it with an angled back and open top, although I chose b). :p:
I actually alternate between the two. (pun unintended) :tongue:
Original post by san_M
I write it as IV

There's always one awkward person! lol
Reply 8
Original post by san_M
I write it as IV

Ah, I should have added a Roman numeral option, as well as base options, too! I think I kept it to the more common and faster methods (arguable, of course).
Reply 9
90* angle, and an open top.

And a seven I write 7 with arms :tongue:
I used to write it the second way around, till I got told off.

So now I use the first.
...why would you be interested in that?

Off the top of my head there are also variances in how people write 0,2,7,f,k, and q
mindblown
Reply 12
Original post by Tortious
I write it with an angled back and open top, although I chose b). :p:

Yes, that is an option too (I should have added that to the poll), do you write it as a T shape or a + shaped four (alongside the angled back and open top)?
Reply 14
Numero 4.jpg

I always write it like this as when I am usually using numbers I am thinking at a fairly fast pace and just want to get the number down quickly
Reply 15
I use both ways.
B.
Reply 17
Original post by MartinKellyisagod
...why would you be interested in that?

Off the top of my head there are also variances in how people write 0,2,7,f,k, and q
mindblown

I think there's a preferred method of writing 2, 7 (and even 1) in that there are to be no loops, and no extra lines, a 7 is written as is presented on your keyboard, and a 1 as the lower-case l .

There are typefaces for handwriting too, but that's far more complex of a matter to discuss, it's fascinating though to develop a style that you find easier to write with. I sometimes did my lower case a as the computer method rather than the most common ' o ' with a line added to the right side of it.
I do A. But only because when i was younger i thought this was cooler so tried really hard to do it that way.
I use B...
I can't do my fours like 4. Or my ones like 1. I've tried so many times but it doesn't look right at all haha.

Quick Reply

Latest