Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are you getting your mum for Mothers day?

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to hear your ideas

***To make this clear, I'm not talking just monetary items, if your making homemade gifts or cards, or ideas for helping around the house or whatever, I equally want to hear it ***
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a 'sons special' cup of tea coupon
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly hate Mother's Day and Father's Day.

It's a piss-take and just makes people feel bad if they don't go out and spend money on them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i will proberbley end up getting something like a cd and box of chocolerts and flowers. or maybe a hair voucher for a salon. I hate buying presents, looking fored to hearing what others are going to buy.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    I honestly hate Mother's Day and Father's Day.

It's a piss-take and just makes people feel bad if they don't go out and spend money on them.
    Oh yeah total piss take.. 2 days out of every year! nuts... I mean it's not like they deserve any attention or show of appreciation for making you and looking after you.

Honestly... Some people!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's my mums birthday on saturday and I've got her a pair of shoes and some eye cream (<3 tk maxx! lol) and it's my grans birthday on tuesday... I don't have a job so I'll probably just get my mum a card and some daffodils or something.. maybe some little toiletries thing as well.. Nothing big though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about buying her perfume but not sure what else to get her.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    i don't usually buy her stuff, i bake her something special. She loves it
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    Oh yeah total piss take.. 2 days out of every year! nuts... I mean it's not like they deserve any attention or show of appreciation for making you and looking after you.

Honestly... Some people!
    If you actually need annual consumerist holidays to make you appreciate your mother and father then not only are you a spoilt brat you're also easily led.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you need to buy your mother/father material goods to remind them that you care for them, then quite frankly you're doing it wrong.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ... There's a Mothers day?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    nothing because she's in Turkey and doesn't get back until the end of May.

I'll text her though to wish her happy mother's day.

If she were here, I'd probably get her flowers and a card.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you actually need annual consumerist holidays to make to appreciate your mother and father then not only are you a spoilt brat you're also easily led.
    How the hell does that make me a spoilt brat?! Obviously I appreciate them and everything they do for me all year round which is why I think it's nice for them to have a day that's just for them and with that comes cards and gifts that don't need to be expensive. It's the thought that counts, if I was completely broke and couldn't even afford a card for my mum then I'd make her one. It's not really about money, it's about the effort.

Why do you feel such an urge to rebel against all forms of consumerism? You might think you're being clever in not following the herd or whatever but it's a bit of an insult to your parents so why not just go along with it? Life is too short to get huffy about things like this. Grow up.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    If you need to buy your mother/father material goods to remind them that you care for them, then quite frankly you're doing it wrong.
    It's not about the fact that it's material goods. It's about the effort and the thought behind it. I know that if I made something then my mum would appreciate that more than anything I could buy her. I'm not particularly creative though so I always just get a bunch of daffodils and maybe some smellies lol it's the lazy way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you actually need annual consumerist holidays to make to appreciate your mother and father then not only are you a spoilt brat you're also easily led.
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    In that case, perhaps you should both do without birthday or Christmas presents...?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    How the hell does that make me a spoilt brat?! Obviously I appreciate them and everything they do for me all year round which is why I think it's nice for them to have a day that's just for them and with that comes cards and gifts that don't need to be expensive. It's the thought that counts, if I was completely broke and couldn't even afford a card for my mum then I'd make her one. It's not really about money, it's about the effort.

Why do you feel such an urge to rebel against all forms of consumerism? You might think you're being clever in not following the herd or whatever but it's a bit of an insult to your parents so why not just go along with it? Life is too short to get huffy about things like this. Grow up.
    So because someone tells you on a specific day you must go out and spend money because it's 'Mother's Day', you do it? Why not the week before or week after?

You're spoilt if you think you can make an effort with them one day a year and forget the rest.

And I am Nigerian, if you think I don't respect my parents, you clearly don't know many Nigerians.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my house it's not mothers day for two reasons.
    1. It's Julie day not mothers day (mothers day occasionally falls on my birthday).
    2. I don't live with my mum so it's grannys day. But she's going on holiday day before so i'm just going to give her some australian dollers and 12 pictures of my face doing weird facial expressions so she can look at them when she misses me...
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najinaji)
    In that case, perhaps you should both do without birthday or Christmas presents...?
    Not really, the birth day is unique to me, it's not some random day they're told to spend money on me, it's the anniversary of the day I was born, something they were a part of, they celebrate it because it's the day of my birth. You're celebrating one day, not the person. My parents do not make an effort for me just one day a year. If they did, they would be terrible parents.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not about the fact that it's material goods. It's about the effort and the thought behind it. I know that if I made something then my mum would appreciate that more than anything I could buy her. I'm not particularly creative though so I always just get a bunch of daffodils and maybe some smellies lol it's the lazy way.
    No.

The beauty of doing something for somebody is that you take it upon yourself -- pressure somebody to do something, as is done in this country with these silly holidays, and it defeats the purpose of doing something for somebody off your own impulse.

If someone was forced to apologise to you for something they did, would it hold the same weight as if they took it upon themselves because they felt guilty? I think not.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    So because someone tells you on a specific day you must go out and spend money because it's 'Mother's Day', you do it? Why not the week before or week after?

You're spoilt if you think you can make an effort with them one day a year and forget the rest.

And I am Nigerian, if you think I don't respect my parents, you clearly don't know many Nigerians.
    I don't forget the rest though... I do things for my mum all the time! No I don't know many nigerians. I never said you didn't respect your parents though.

Mothers day is a tradition and my family have always celebrated it. I'm not exactly going to mess that up and say 'no I didn't want to waste my money on a card for you because it's consumerism'. That would be a horrible thing to do and I can't imagine upsetting my mum like that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 4, 2013
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.