The Student Room Group

Did you get to read your reference?

Just out of curiosity - did you get to read your UCAS reference?

My college showed them to Oxbridge interviewees and not to anyone else, which I thought was unfair - as if we're the only people who had interviews! However, 90% of mine was copied from previous subject reviews and the like, so it wasn't really anything I hadn't seen other than basic factual information.

Scroll to see replies

our college showed everyone their reference before their ucas application was sent off :smile:
Reply 2
Our school's policy was not to show students their reference but if you asked you were allowed to look :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah, my tutor showed me mine and briefly went through some of the points. It's unfair that your college only allow some applicants to read their reference, if I hadn't been allowed to read mine I think I'd have made a fuss.
Yup. My referee (Assistant Head of VI Form) practically wrote it with me, and he kept on checking there was nothing I wanted to be added.
It was a lovely reference, although I think only those of us applying for Medicine / Oxbridge got to read ours. Others could probably request to skim over it, but we were almost forced to read it.
Reply 5
Nope :sad:
I wasn't shown mine either. It must have been quite good though because I got my full set of offers :smile:
basically got to write it.:ahee:
Reply 8
yeah, shortly before my application was sent :dontknow:
Our school has a policy of not showing anyone their reference, even if you ask for it, they refuse to show it to you.
Nope, I was told it was very nice though.
Reply 11
My tutor showed me mine :yep: At my school, general policy was 'only if asked' but my tutor's never been one to listen to the school :tongue:
If I didn't ask to read mine there would have been many mistakes in my reference, as in contradictory mistakes "Ilyas has achieved high marks in his AS maths/ f.maths... he has completed C1-4, M1-2)" what the actual ****? I'm sitting C3/4 and M2 this year!
Everyone got to see theirs at my sixth form, and it's a good job because my tutor had spelled my name wrong throughout!
Seems bizarre that some people don't get too see. Tutors have to deal with a lot of applications, it's very unlikely that they won't make at least one mistake somewhere.
Reply 14
Most people in my school don't get to see their reference however my form tutor showed me mine cause he's awesome :biggrin:
1st time I applied, whilst at college - Yep :smile:

2nd time I appied, while in work and having to approach tutor again - Nope... I had to work to get her to do it anyway, I didn't want to push it. I've got one offer and interviews for all my choices, bar one, so I am guessing it was alright :smile:

Good luck to everyone still waiting for offers! :biggrin:
Nope.
Well, it depended on who your guidance teacher was at my school, some showed you, some didn't. I'm lucky that my guidance teacher is lovely so she let me read mine through before my application was sent off, just as well cos there were a few mistakes in it, felt so awkward pointing them out! She printed it out actually and gave it to me, although I have no idea where it is. Suspecting it's in the bin. But yeah, she asked me if I wanted to read mine and I said "Sure, why not?"
I edited my reference :sexface:
Reply 19
Nopee.

Quick Reply

Latest