The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Just how prestigious is Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Tsunami2011
I see your point but it is important to be happy at university. I have an offer from LSE, which I'm considering turning down, solely because it would mean living at home which would suck.

Same - I can't stand London (nor the idea of living at home during uni). It's because of this I deliberately avoided appplying to any London university.

Having said that, I do have some friends who go to London unis who managed to get private accommodation, but they had to apply very very early. The price wasn't ideal either - they'll most probably be living at home from their second year onwards.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Ree69
Same - I can't stand London (nor the idea of living at home during uni). It's because of this I deliberately avoided appplying to any London university.

Having said that, I do have some friends who go to London unis who managed to get private accommodation, but they had to apply very very early. The price wasn't ideal either - they'll most probably be living at home from their second year onwards.

Yeah, I suppose I could do that. But, considering that I live 15 mins away from LSE, it'd seem pointless when I could have housing for free.
How prestigious is Warwick? Prestigious enough for me. Studying is the most important thing in my life (yeah, sad I know) so for me it's a matter of finding the perfect course fit - and that's English at Warwick. I'm not even going to insure anywhere else, partly because I'm well on course to get the grades and partly because I won't settle for anything else. Prestige only matters to me in the sense that I want to do a serious and challenging degree, and those are generally found at the top universities. Beyond that, I don't give a fig. I've come under a lot of pressure to go for Oxbridge but I don't like their courses as much and neither does the idea of the whole 'Oxbridge thing' and the collegiate university appeal to me.
Reply 43
Original post by anniemagnificent
How prestigious is Warwick? Prestigious enough for me. Studying is the most important thing in my life (yeah, sad I know) so for me it's a matter of finding the perfect course fit - and that's English at Warwick. I'm not even going to insure anywhere else, partly because I'm well on course to get the grades and partly because I won't settle for anything else. Prestige only matters to me in the sense that I want to do a serious and challenging degree, and those are generally found at the top universities. Beyond that, I don't give a fig. I've come under a lot of pressure to go for Oxbridge but I don't like their courses as much and neither does the idea of the whole 'Oxbridge thing' and the collegiate university appeal to me.

Yeah you go girl.
Original post by anniemagnificent

wow..its refreshing to see someone who loves their course.

Me..I'm just using mine as a means to an end.
Reply 45
wow..its refreshing to see someone who loves their course.

Me..I'm just using mine as a means to an end.

Haha what passion :tongue:

I bet you'll love it really!
Original post by Bea492
Haha what passion :tongue:

I bet you'll love it really!

I'm actually worried..about the lack of research I've done..

I literally do not know what half the modules incorporate:s-smilie:
Reply 47
I'm actually worried..about the lack of research I've done..

I literally do not know what half the modules incorporate:s-smilie:

Surely knowing the names of the modules is enough?!:wink:

Saying that I should really look into the modules... I have however done extensive research into the SU and Societies:biggrin:
Original post by Bea492
Surely knowing the names of the modules is enough?!:wink:

Saying that I should really look into the modules... I have however done extensive research into the SU and Societies:biggrin:

Yeah, after all the education is the secondary purpose of university:wink:

Same! I feel like a stalker... will have seen faces prior to first going to the LawSoc:colone:
Original post by deltast0rm
Hi guys
I have an offer from Warwick for English and French (AAA). I went on an open day today, looked round the campus and all the usual stuff, but, whilst I liked it, I didn't get the same feeling of excitement that I did at Sheffield (who have also given me an offer of AAB).

At the moment, my head is telling me that I should accept Warwick's offer as it's the better university in terms of prestige; it frequently ranks much higher in the league tables and I've heard that employers look for degrees from Warwick when considering potential employees. As Sheffield is still a top 30 university, is Warwick's "prestige" really that valuable? Would I be losing out on a lot if I chose Sheffield instead?

Thanks for your time

Warwick is not prestigious for English and French.
Reply 50
Yeah, after all the education is the secondary purpose of university:wink:

Same! I feel like a stalker... will have seen faces prior to first going to the LawSoc:colone:

Of course! The degree isn't all that important to be honest :wink:

Haha same! Already planning my outfit for the Law Ball.... Just kidding....sort of:biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by Onewingedangel
Warwick is not prestigious for English and French.

It's not? It seems to be ranked quite highly in most University league tables for both subjects. Would you then say that it is on a par with Sheffield?
Original post by deltast0rm
It's not? It seems to be ranked quite highly in most University league tables for both subjects. Would you then say that it is on a par with Sheffield?

Look at the amount of red bars they have...
If this was a discussion between Warwick and a (generally) unknown university then I would suggest looking beyond first impressions. But I really don't think the difference between Warwick and Sheffield is particularly great. Warwick might rank higher in league tables but Sheffield is an "old" university.

In my experience of employers, Oxbridge occupies one tier, other established (usually Russell Group) institutions another, and then the little known universities come third. I would put Warwick (and UCL/LSE/Sheffield/Bristol) in the second tier even if there are small differences in status between them.

Prestige is genuinely not a huge factor when employers make recruitment decisions with a few exceptions, e.g. barristers chambers where Oxbridge predominates.

The difference between Warwick and Sheffield is not worth compromising for. But this is a long-term decision so I would visit again and get talk (on here or elsewhere) to some current undergraduates on your prospective course.

Quick Reply

Latest