The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Just how prestigious is Warwick?

Hi guys
I have an offer from Warwick for English and French (AAA). I went on an open day today, looked round the campus and all the usual stuff, but, whilst I liked it, I didn't get the same feeling of excitement that I did at Sheffield (who have also given me an offer of AAB).

At the moment, my head is telling me that I should accept Warwick's offer as it's the better university in terms of prestige; it frequently ranks much higher in the league tables and I've heard that employers look for degrees from Warwick when considering potential employees. As Sheffield is still a top 30 university, is Warwick's "prestige" really that valuable? Would I be losing out on a lot if I chose Sheffield instead?

Thanks for your time

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes Warwick overall is more highly rated by employers than Sheffield.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
My cousin studied English and French at Warwick, scoring a First. She has never had any trouble getting a job to be honest. She chose Warwick over Oxford!
If you really like Sheffield go there. But generally speaking Warwick is superior and as long as you're not bothered by that you'll be fine. Also considering the course you've gone for, I doubt it'll really matter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Go where you are going to be happiest, which clearly seems to be Sheffield. It's three years of your life, and Warwick isn't that much better. Either one is a good choice.
Warwick is significantly more prestigious. But being happy at university is more important, so go to Sheffield if that will make you happier.
Reply 6
At the end of the day most employers now dont look at the uni you went to but more your work experience... i got in at warwick but i chose coventry. Hasn't impacted me in the slightest, go where you are happy as you will be spending 3+ years there. sheffield is really good city to live in!
All I hear is prestige,prestige this prestige that.Just live your life.At the end of the day it's more to do with the experience you gain opposed to the the uni you go to.I read about three girls who went to Warwick, did traditional degrees got 2:1s but still no job at the end of it.I mean if your going to have a better time in Sheffield, I would go.
Reply 8
Prestige means absolutely bugger all once you're a year or two into your first job, and when you're applying for that £120k executive role when you're 50 you won't be rejected because you went to X instead of Y 30 years previously - if you do get rejected on those grounds, then that company isn't worth working for. Go to where you are happiest and everything else clicks into place the more experience and skills you build up as the years go on.

If you already have prior experience, this often drastically improves your chances with a degree from a 'lesser' institution. Most companies would take Sheffield with work experience over Warwick with none, especially in this job market when competition is fierce and employers don't want to take risks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by bufflikebread
All I hear is prestige,prestige this prestige that.Just live your life.At the end of the day it's more to do with the experience you gain opposed to the the uni you go to.I read about three girls who went to Warwick, did traditional degrees got 2:1s but still no job at the end of it.I mean if your going to have a better time in Sheffield, I would go.

Who are these 3 girls?

Also getting a job isn't just about academics. The academics put you in good stead though.
Original post by f1mad
Who are these 3 girls?

Also getting a job isn't just about academics. The academics put you in good stead though.

They are a figment of her imagination
Original post by deltast0rm
Hi guys
I have an offer from Warwick for English and French (AAA). I went on an open day today, looked round the campus and all the usual stuff, but, whilst I liked it, I didn't get the same feeling of excitement that I did at Sheffield (who have also given me an offer of AAB).

At the moment, my head is telling me that I should accept Warwick's offer as it's the better university in terms of prestige; it frequently ranks much higher in the league tables and I've heard that employers look for degrees from Warwick when considering potential employees. As Sheffield is still a top 30 university, is Warwick's "prestige" really that valuable? Would I be losing out on a lot if I chose Sheffield instead?

Thanks for your time

The rankings aren't particularly important in themselves, but employers are taking serious notice of Warwick. To be honest, it derives largely from their strength in Business and Mathematics, but it is a good all-rounder. If employment is your main consideration, the advice of your head is probably correct. But there are many, many other considerations worth bearing in mind. So-and-so who chose Warwick over Oxford as claimed by an above poster undoubtedly did so for some reason other than employability.
Original post by ch0llima
Prestige means absolutely bugger all once you're a year or two into your first job, and when you're applying for that £120k executive role when you're 50 you won't be rejected because you went to X instead of Y 30 years previously - if you do get rejected on those grounds, then that company isn't worth working for. Go to where you are happiest and everything else clicks into place the more experience and skills you build up as the years go on.

If you already have prior experience, this often drastically improves your chances with a degree from a 'lesser' institution. Most companies would take Sheffield with work experience over Warwick with none, especially in this job market when competition is fierce and employers don't want to take risks.

This is fairly obvious; you're not comparing like for like. But the point about importance of work experience may be worth making if the OP was unaware previously.

This guy would have had a bad time at any university. He clearly didn't take advantage of any of the opportunities available and just expected the perfect university experience to just magically happen. If you want a great uni experience you have to be proactive, he clearly wasn't.
Original post by ch0llima

This is the Unromantic Truth :smile:. Thanks for reminding us.

Often, as students, we get so insulated in our banter of degrees and prestige and grades that we (with exceptions) get shell-shocked when we plunge into the working world where the degree only matters during the first month of working life and employers won't give a hoot anymore after.

I finished my Diploma and have done/applied for a few jobs here and there related to my field and my Distinction really did mean 'bugger all' to my employers. They barely remember what I studied much less what my grades were, and they were only interested in people who can get the job done NOW. My field is a little more on the practical side and not too traditional-academic, so it can be a bit more extreme, but I expect it's more or less the same everywhere else.
Original post by yabbayabba
This guy would have had a bad time at any university. He clearly didn't take advantage of any of the opportunities available and just expected the perfect university experience to just magically happen. If you want a great uni experience you have to be proactive, he clearly wasn't.

My thoughts exactly.

Original post by f1mad
"THURSDAY 05 OCTOBER 2000".

Keep up with the times! The University has changed quite a lot since then.

I know, I know. It wasn't a particularly serious comment, I should've been more explicit.
Original post by f1mad
Who are these 3 girls?

Grazia,had an article about graduate unemployment.The spread they did focused on three girls who went to Warwick, did traditional degrees but couldn't get a job. Now,I'm not going to find my magazine now and name you each of the girls.
Reply 19

Although this article was a while ago and this guy clearly didn't do any EC's blah blah blah, please note that he is still writing for the Independent! Seeing as journalism is notoriously hard to get into, Warwick couldn't really have done him much harm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending