The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Txi
not only that but do you guys know that UoM is giving away many of your same degrees for 1/2 price at various twinny and offshore deals in foreign countries like Malaysia, Singapore and China ?

Source, or stop getting confused with Uni of Wales / Nottingham.

Original post by kka25
Why bother paying fees or attending a Uni even if you can study the subject yourself? Students come to hear lectures; poor lectures, poor support, poor everything, give us our money back.

Firstly, that's not my experience. And secondly, they come for the bit of paper at the end proves they've learned something, and allows them to call themselves a graduate.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 121
Original post by Origami Bullets
And secondly, they come for the bit of paper at the end proves they've learned something, and allows them to call themselves a graduate.

Sure? Proof of this?
Original post by iamlovinit05
Thats the tricky bit. Why does it rank so good internationally but when it comes to the local rep, many people here say it's not that great?
I plan on firming Manchester for Econs and Finance but am receiving loads of conflicting information about it now.

I think it's because student satisfaction plays a much larger role in domestic league tables. International league tables however, seem to focus on research, academic reputation and employability. Manchester's outperformance of most other british unis in international league tables is one thing that swayed it for me as the student satisfation for my individual course there is very high (92-96%) and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy myself there. Hence, I put Manchester as insurance :smile:
Original post by Chaofan88
I think it's because student satisfaction plays a much larger role in domestic league tables. International league tables however, seem to focus on research, academic reputation and employability. Manchester's outperformance of most other british unis in international league tables is one thing that swayed it for me as the student satisfation for my individual course there is very high (92-96%) and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy myself there. Hence, I put Manchester as insurance :smile:

I see.. So whats your firm choice then? :smile:
Reply 124
Original post by Origami Bullets
Source, or stop getting confused with Uni of Wales / Nottingham.

Firstly, that's not my experience. And secondly, they come for the bit of paper at the end proves they've learned something, and allows them to call themselves a graduate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Institute_of_Technology

http://www.simge.edu.sg/gePortalWeb/appmanager/web/default?_nfpb=true&_st=&_pageLabel=pgViewAllProgrammes&university=The%20University%20of%20Manchester&fid=ViewAllProgrammes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDU_University_College

Oxford :smile: I'm really ****ting myself about the grades though! Have you applied to UoM then? (If you're not already there..I'm being a bit presumptuous)!
Oxford :smile: I'm really ****ting myself about the grades though! Have you applied to UoM then? (If you're not already there..I'm being a bit presumptuous)!

Haha all the best for Oxford!
I've just firmed an unconditional BeconsSc from UOM. As I'm international, it's gonna be a hefty price tag. Pretty unsure!
Haha all the best for Oxford!
I've just firmed an unconditional BeconsSc from UOM. As I'm international, it's gonna be a hefty price tag. Pretty unsure!

Thanks very much :smile: Oh wow, I'm so envious of you- I'd love to have unconditional offers to take some of the pressure off this year...maybe I shuold have just applied after A-levels but watevs.

But then on the other hand, I don't envy the expense! Why are you unsure?
Reply 128

Thanks very much :smile: Oh wow, I'm so envious of you- I'd love to have unconditional offers to take some of the pressure off this year...maybe I shuold have just applied after A-levels but watevs.

But then on the other hand, I don't envy the expense! Why are you unsure?

I don't mean to steal your thunder and I'm happy to hear the good news but could you please just PM each other? Your conversation is borderlining spamming really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kka25
I don't mean to still your thunder and I'm happy to hear the good news but could you please just PM each other? Your conversation is border-lining spamming really.

Haha, sorry no problem- I apologise! I always end up doing this unintentionally :colondollar: let's just hope iamlovinit sees this
Reply 130
Original post by kka25

You're a child aren't you?

You don't know anything about education or the reality of life. I suggest stop posting rubbish.

Source or GTFO. What a lot of hypocrite you are. You don't even know a thing about education in general, and here you are giving massive generalization. You accuse people of 'thinking they know so much' but you act as if you're a Professor of Education. Owh, dear...

Firstly, no I'm not a child, and I'm probably slightly more familiar with the debate around this than you are. I'm too busy to fight with aggressive keyboard monkeys though.

Secondly, if you don't already understand why universities compete on a basis of their age (the fact we've been arguing about it already should give you a clue) then giving you a source isn't going to make you much less ignorant of that fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_oldest_university_in_England_debate (let me refer you to the 'Lesser claims' section of this article for relevance)
Reply 131
Oh so he's a ' keyboard monkey ' just cause he disagrees with you ?

Which law states that we must all agree with you or anyone for that matter ?

Do you still not know the significance of a Royal charter and the date that it is issued on ?
Reply 132
Original post by Aquinas
Firstly, no I'm not a child, and I'm probably slightly more familiar with the debate around this than you are. I'm too busy to fight with aggressive keyboard monkeys though.

Secondly, if you don't already understand why universities compete on a basis of their age (the fact we've been arguing about it already should give you a clue) then giving you a source isn't going to make you much less ignorant of that fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_oldest_university_in_England_debate (let me refer you to the 'Lesser claims' section of this article for relevance)

Wow, you're 19 and already showing clear signs of arrogance. Good job :rolleyes: And what evidence do you have to say that you know this topic better than anyone of us on this thread? FYI, I'd finished Uni a long time ago and that's a fact; have you? At least my comments, now with evidence, is more credible than you :rolleyes:

If you still think that old == better, you really need to grow up.

If you can't handle a simple argument as before, well, I was being very nice. Wait until you see how I argue :biggrin:

Original post by Txi
Oh so he's a ' keyboard monkey ' just cause he disagrees with you ?

Which law states that we must all agree with you or anyone for that matter ?

Do you still not know the significance of a Royal charter and the date that it is issued on ?

Meh, don't bother. He's still in his teens. Haven't even finished first year I think :teehee:
Reply 133
Original post by kka25
Wow, you're 19 and already showing clear signs of arrogance. Good job :rolleyes: And what evidence do you have to say that you know this topic better than anyone of us on this thread? FYI, I'd finished Uni a long time ago and that's a fact; have you? At least my comments, now with evidence, is more credible than you :rolleyes:

If you can't handle a simple argument as before, well, I was being very nice. Wait until you see how I argue :biggrin:

Meh, don't bother. He's still in his teens. Haven't even finished first year I think :teehee:

Your whole reply is based on 'old == better' considering your slights on my age, so that's not a good argument at all my friend! Also, you're completely twisting my words. Myself, I never said that old equalled better, I merely pointed out the difference between foundation and degree-giving abilities with my original argument with Txi.

I think it's quite clear that older doesn't always equal better as can be evidenced with the prominence of Bath, Warwick and, increasingly Sussex in UK higher education. The root of the argument is, after-all, about foundation dates, not which one is better, or have I missed something? Txi made the assumptions previously that smaller = better and that Manchester's claims to their 'est. 1824' was laughable - I proposed a different argument. I never once stated that its age made it better.

Also you use the word 'evidence' quite liberally, unlike your condescending tone. Nice one, you're talking down to a student who's posting on... wait for it... the 'student room' forum! Hope you feel nice, old and superior while you're at it. :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by Aquinas
Your whole reply is based on 'old == better' considering your slights on my age, so that's not a good argument at all my friend! Also, you're completely twisting my words. Myself, I never said that old equalled better, I merely pointed out the difference between foundation and degree-giving abilities with my original argument with Txi.

I think it's quite clear that older doesn't always equal better as can be evidenced with the prominence of Bath, Warwick and, increasingly Sussex in UK higher education. The root of the argument is, after-all, about foundation dates, not which one is better, or have I missed something? Txi made the assumptions previously that smaller = better and that Manchester's claims to their 'est. 1824' was laughable - I proposed a different argument. I never once stated that its age made it better.

Also you use the word 'evidence' quite liberally, unlike your condescending tone. Nice one, you're talking down to a student who's posting on... wait for it... the 'student room' forum! Hope you feel nice, old and superior while you're at it. :smile:

Owh, dear. Someone doesn't understand sarcasm :teehee: And you yourself have no proof to tell us that you know this particular topic better than anyone here on the thread, and here you are telling us what to believe in or to say what's laughable? How ironic. Who's twisting words now?

Nope. Not in anyway did you specify that or you've made the claim. Only now you are making it. Too late.

And you think I'm no longer a student since I've finished a degree? :teehee: *shakes head* Do you even know what a degree is?

Condescending? This just proves to everyone what a hypocrite you are; check back your post junior and see how you construct your own sentences and come back and argue like a matured person.
Reply 135
Original post by kka25

LOL

Latest

Trending

Trending