Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Banking&Consulting firms would you like to have on TSR to answer your questions

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchous)
    Why not? I mean if top firms like Salamander Trading* recruit from TSR, KKR, Carlyle and Berkshire are not out of range.

*these guys are ballers, they go to Berlin for a week during trading days with uni students 5 years younger than them and date russian girls that swim at competitive level rugby players.

My target is people who can be creative. That doesn't suit 'almost everywhere', where working hard to instructions is valued highly and being smart the odd bonus.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spurious)
    No offense, but isnt KPMG hiring anyone who shows up on time?
    I thought they were recruiting first and then filter people on the way to the top. Not sure what they could offer.
    Welcome to Big4 Accountancy. They need 4,000 graduates to hire year-over-year.

2.1 in Media? You got the gig!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK)
    Isn't this a good opportunity to ask them some questions then?
    I think their recruitment policy is a little more stringent than just turning up on time!
    How well do you know the consulting industry? KPMG really is the absolute dregs, I'm afraid...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Death of the forum.... Mods make an attempt to help and offer something. The majority of people shout it down.

Good effort.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Death of the forum.... Mods make an attempt to help and offer something. The majority of people shout it down.

Good effort.
    mods make an effort to increase advertising revenue

desperate firms make an effort to catch our attention

And we have to put up with their bull**** which has zero value added and the potential increased scrutiny of these firms on this forum which will prevent people from talking freely
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon all

who's getting involved with the KPMG Q&A session on TSR?
    Lizzie will be on next week to answer your questions, so have a look and get involved!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=759

Happy Easter to you all! Don't OD on Chocolate
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchous)
    mods make an effort to increase advertising revenue

desperate firms make an effort to catch our attention

And we have to put up with their bull**** which has zero value added and the potential increased scrutiny of these firms on this forum which will prevent people from talking freely
    Frenchous!

What's with the negativity?!
    The anonimity on TSR enables our users to talk freely, openly and honestly and recruiters want to hear what TSR users think about a wide range of issues relating to their schemes.
    Likewise, many of our users want to ask recruiters questions about their schemes, and to enable them to make an informed decision before applying.

Where's the harm in this?

JK
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK)
    Frenchous!

Probably because none of the responses you have given are linked/relevant to the quality and utility of these visitors

(Original post by JK)
    The anonimity on TSR enables our users to talk freely, openly and honestly
    This is the reason why regular, anonymous TSR users in these specific jobs can give honest and open advice, it's because we don't have to toe any company line.

It is the loss of anonymity by companies that makes their advice (to date) so useless, because they just trot out the same old platitudes you can find reading any company recruitment literature.

(Original post by JK)
    and recruiters want to hear what TSR users think about a wide range of issues relating to their schemes.
    They can do that simply by reading TSR over a period of time, it doesn't need a gilt edged invitation to participate.

(Original post by JK)
    Likewise, many of our users want to ask recruiters questions about their schemes,
    And there are many ways of doing this outside TSR. The issue is not the ability to ask questions, but the availability of honest, detailed, case specific answers that are not wrapped up in HR speak and political correctness.

(Original post by JK)
    and to enable them to make an informed decision before applying.
    There is little or no evidence that anyone you have brought in so far has done this. They just all parrot the party line and refer people to the standard, perfectly Google-able websites.

(Original post by JK)

JK
    Perhaps little harm, it's just tedious to see companies given an opportunity to give authorised, sanctioned advice, and then waste that opportunity by just trotting out the standard info. There is no insider edge, no leverage for TSR users etc. It doesn't fill the gap between an anonymous, and therefore usually unsubstantiated advisor, and a company website. The gap is currently better filled by those of us that have stuck around, divulged enough information to establish our professional credibility, and give honest, accurate advice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK)
    Frenchous!

The anonimity on TSR enables our users to talk freely, openly and honestly and recruiters want to hear what TSR users think about a wide range of issues relating to their schemes.
    Likewise, many of our users want to ask recruiters questions about their schemes, and to enable them to make an informed decision before applying.

JK
    I couldn't give you a better reply than did the person who posted above.

Also as a rule of thumb it's better to be pessimistic so that you can be positively surprised from time to time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brilliantly said threeportdrift. As I see it, the only "achievement" of this thread was to revive the longstanding question of splitting IB from consulting, and yet surprise surprise, nothing has been done. Still.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In fact, this is a microcosm of consulting, isn't it?

- Client misunderstands source of competitive advantage (which is: regular visitors who are actually working in the industry, who can give insightful, impartial help to students; and is not: HR from accountancy firms).
    - Consultant gives great advice (split IB forum from consulting forum to avoid driving these visitors away and thereby losing this source of competitive advantage).
    - Nothing ever changes.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    In fact, this is a microcosm of consulting, isn't it?

- Client misunderstands source of competitive advantage (which is: regular visitors who are actually working in the industry, who can give insightful, impartial help to students; and is not: HR from accountancy firms).
    - Consultant gives great advice (split IB forum from consulting forum to avoid driving these visitors away and thereby losing this source of competitive advantage).
    - Nothing ever changes.
    Certainly it's a pattern I recognise, and I no longer hold my breath over any implementation phase. :rolleyes:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Quick thank you for all of your comments.
    I've learnt a lot from hearing what you have to say, and I thank you for it!

Have a great weekend.

JK
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah right...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Yeah right...
    I agree with PB, TSR stop being tools, this is clearly an attempt to line your own pockets etc...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.