Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

since when was crime and poverty an black thing?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was reading an article about how we need more black sold models for young black people to aspire to. Because apparently, all young blacks in Britain need an extra reminder not to commit crimes and be involved in gangs.

This highlights a severely racist phenomenon that is considered completely acceptable. That all these initiatives are exclusively targeting young black British people ( in attempt to curb the apparent swarms of exclusively black teenagers begging to be part of a gang) while completely ignoring any other skin colour.

Now obviously not every black male wants to go committing crimes all day, and the evidence suggests that blacks like committing crimes just as little as other skin colours do. So why the disproportionate representation in the media and in crime prevention strategies?

Why does nobody care about crime in the east European, the Asian or (god forbid) the white community?

Why is nobody saying how great a role model plan B is for all the young white kids growing up in council estates.

You can go anywhere in Britain and see that gang culture and criminals exist everywhere, in every ethnic group.

Logic would dictate that a white oriented initiative would make the most sense for demographic reasons. Or how about something which does not base its case on skin colour and ethnic origin?

Do people really think that a poor white teenager doesn't need support, encouragement or aspiration?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with everything you've said. I also think it's this ridiculous idea that crime in certain ethnic groups needs to be dealt with more urgently that causes more problems.
    If the ethnicity and colour of those committing crimes wasn't mentioned, it would be much less big a deal. Why this country feel the need to consistently talk about the colour of people is beyond me.

It's like when we beg for Asian/black police officers. If they don't want to do it, they won't. We should be judged on our merits, not our skin colour.
    I believe it's things like this that make white people believe the country are going against them. If the government didn't deal with things only to do with race, then I, perhaps naively and idealistically, believe that it would become less of a big deal.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because the government likes to create a sort of panic and it just so happens to be againsnt people of a different race talking from the point of view of a black teenager myself its hard to shake that stereotype
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    More black role models, there's tons.....
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

I hate this attitude that Black kids need Black role models, Asian kids need Asian role models.

I've never heard a White kid say that they can't have Dizzee, Nelson Mandela or Ghandi as a role model because they aren't White. And yet the implication is that ethnic minorities cannot have a role model if they are White. Madness.

I'd like to point out I do really think that this is a PC agenda coming from namby pamby civil servants, apologists and do gooders, and it probably does not reflect the majority of the minority population's opinion
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    In London, blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crimes. Hence, why they're targeted. Most gangs in London are full of blacks. Black role models give black people hope. It's not about whether it should or why does it, it just does because black community are a semi-community. Blacks tend to group themselves with each other hence when someone black achieves something, it makes you thin you can achieve something. You can say we're all humans blah blah blah but we don't currently group ourselves as humans hence no one cares what a human achieves, it's only when it's relevant to your community you care.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W-Three)
    I was reading an article about how we need more black sold models for young black people to aspire to. Because apparently, all young blacks in Britain need an extra reminder not to commit crimes and be involved in gangs.

This highlights a severely racist phenomenon that is considered completely acceptable. That all these initiatives are exclusively targeting young black British people ( in attempt to curb the apparent swarms of exclusively black teenagers begging to be part of a gang) while completely ignoring any other skin colour.

Now obviously not every black male wants to go committing crimes all day, and the evidence suggests that blacks like committing crimes just as little as other skin colours do. So why the disproportionate representation in the media and in crime prevention strategies?

Why does nobody care about crime in the east European, the Asian or (god forbid) the white community?

Why is nobody saying how great a role model plan B is for all the young white kids growing up in council estates.

You can go anywhere in Britain and see that gang culture and criminals exist everywhere, in every ethnic group.

Logic would dictate that a white oriented initiative would make the most sense for demographic reasons. Or how about something which does not base its case on skin colour and ethnic origin?

Do people really think that a poor white teenager doesn't need support, encouragement or aspiration?
    I don't understand the later part of what you said. I think the reason why there aren't black role models being actively highlighted, as you say - Plan B is because it's a battle of racial intolerances and rooted in white supremacy and colonialism. By that I mean, it's easier for people to accept the social norm of presenting black people as bad, by default poor and poverty stricken, thus place them theoretically under our control for help, rather than treat them as equals... all of it leads into capitalism in addition, the people running these companies that can actively promote role models i.e. talent shows, music companies, the tv controllers etc. are consciously oblivious to as I said black role models etc. because it's easier for them to keep doing what they're doing and exploiting people rather than having to increase wages, labour etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When taken as a proportion of the population, black people commit far more crimes both violent and non violent than other races. Of course Britain does have a large white underclass but they tend to spend their days breaking windows and starting bar room brawls. They don't generally shoot and stab each other or commit gang rapes as the black underclass has become famous for. Note I am referring to the black underclass not black people in general.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's always been an black thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

This is meant to be sarcastic right? Because while I agree with most you've said (though it's undeniable there's a disproportionate amount of black people in poverty and committing crime), you realise that although Plan B references violence or gang culture in his songs a lot, he never advocates. He always come across as very anti gang and violence to me, though I can understand why if you don't listen to the lyrics properly you would think otherwise.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree. Poor white people (pre 20th century, just poor people) have been discriminated against for hundreds of years in Britain. Immigration happens and we're suddenly part of the oppressing class?

Growing up poor and white in a mostly non white school was horrible. Having to learn about the evilness of white people repeatedly really doesn't give white kids the impression that they have a place in our multicultural society.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because black areas almost always have alot of crime?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LarrikinLibertine)
    This is meant to be sarcastic right? Because while I agree with most you've said (though it's undeniable there's a disproportionate amount of black people in poverty and committing crime), you realise that although Plan B references violence or gang culture in his songs a lot, he never advocates. He always come across as very anti gang and violence to me, though I can understand why if you don't listen to the lyrics properly you would think otherwise.
    I wasn't being sarcastic, but i think you missed my point. The fact that plan b is connected to underclass culture, but doesn't advocate violence (quite the opposite) is precisely why he would make a great role model.

Of course, i see no reason why someone's role model can't befrom another ethnicity or culture than you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve78)
    When taken as a proportion of the population, black people commit far more crimes both violent and non violent than other races. Of course Britain does have a large white underclass but they tend to spend their days breaking windows and starting bar room brawls. They don't generally shoot and stab each other or commit gang rapes as the black underclass has become famous for. Note I am referring to the black underclass not black people in general.
    You're unfamiliar with Glasgow then. Probably less gun crime than in Peckham or Hackney, but loads of everything else. "Bar room brawls", as you call them, frequently lead to people being glassed. Scotland's First Minister referred to a "beer and blades" culture. How is this worse than what black underclass do?

Glasgow's murder rate is over double London's:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...crime.15457796
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't being sarcastic, but i think you missed my point. The fact that plan b is connected to underclass culture, but doesn't advocate violence (quite the opposite) is precisely why he would make a great role model.

Of course, i see no reason why someone's role model can't befrom another ethnicity or culture than you.
    You know your society has gone down the crapper when a rapper is a role model.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubby Isaacs)
    You're unfamiliar with Glasgow then. Probably less gun crime than in Peckham or Hackney, but loads of everything else. "Bar room brawls", as you call them, frequently lead to people being glassed. Scotland's First Minister referred to a "beer and blades" culture. How is this worse than what black underclass do?

Glasgow's murder rate is over double London's:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...crime.15457796
    Probably because it's twice as impoverished.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    You know your society has gone down the crapper when a rapper is a role model.
    So true. And those rappers that are looked upon and even worshiped are usually uneducated and very ignorant. All modern rap talks about is wearing Gucci, LV and any other ridiculously expensive unnecessary material goods.
    This of course leads to people desiring those material goods. When they cant get them, they resort to crime as was shown by the summer riots as well as the numerous incidents of people being stabbed for Blackberries, iPhones e.t.c
    Don't forget the boxing day stabbing of the teenager who was stabbed over a pair of Nike trainers that cost less than £10 to manufacture and were made by child slave labour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Probably because it's twice as impoverished.
    I agree with you entirely.

It's just that you get the impression from some that places without black people are all OK.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason specific ethnic groups are targeted for trying to reduce crime is because, for whatever reason, crime overall is often higher statistically in these groups. This is not because their race or culture is wrong or bad in any way, it's simply a fact that certain groups have higher rates of crime.

Whether it's the result of poverty or cultural differences and stresses in Britain that are leaving them vulnerable to getting lured into crime, pretending that a group that has more prevalence for crime hasn't is just foolish. I don't know the statistics, but if black youths are the target of an anti-crime and role-model drive, then it's probably because they have a higher crime rate than other groups, and because the government wants to make sure that whatever factor it is (because we know it's not their race itself) is addressed so they can have a better future.

And there are schemes targeting white populations, but when there is an imbalance between ethnic groups, it surely has to be a priority to address what is causing this imbalance - if for nothing else then for the sake of equality!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

a poor white teenager doesn't need support, encouragement or aspiration?
    I think you need to remember the liberal script in modern society identifies certain minorities as victims and whites as either oppressive figures or recipients of undeserved privilege.

Under this script, the needs of the white teenager are obviously seen as less pressing.

Lawrence Auster also explains:

the liberal order articulates the world through a "script" in which there are three characters: the white liberal, who embodies the non-discriminatory virtue of the liberal regime; the white non-liberal, who discriminates against nonwhites and who must be crushed by the white liberal; and the nonwhite/non-Westerner, who either is discriminated against by the white non-liberal or is non-discriminatorily included by the white liberal.

In the script, furthermore, only the white liberal and the white non-liberal are moral actors, with the first representing good and the second representing evil. The nonwhite/non-Westerner is not a moral actor, but is simply the passive recipient of the white liberal's goodness or of the white non-liberal's bigotry.

The reason that the nonwhite/non-Westerner cannot be a moral actor is that his very function in the script is to be the recipient of either good non-discrimination or evil discrimination. If he were a moral actor, then his own actions would have to be judged; specifically, his bad actions would have to be judged. But to judge his bad actions would be to discriminate against him. And since the central purpose of liberalism is to eliminate all discriminatory treatment of nonwhites/non-Westerners, moral judgement of nonwhites/non-Westerners must also be eliminated. Therefore nonwhites/non-Westerners cannot be seen as responsible moral actors.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.