The Student Room Group

how scary is the woman in black?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Personally I thought it was pretty good. Theres a good 20-25 minute scene when he stays over the house which has you on the edge of your seat.

As above the window scene is pretty scary but the rest is pretty dull. Story isn't great either.
Reply 21
Indo-Chinese Food
About as scary as closing the front door and thinking you forgot your keys - but then finding them in your jacket pocket.

LOL... but no really, it had many jumpy parts to keep you on the edge of your seat, but overall, the storyline was so bland that it wasn't tremendously scary - there wasn't a great deal of scare in the overall storyline other than a creepy feel, but the small scares were pretty much all there was to it to make it as scary as it was.
Reply 22
Read the book!
Its not scary, its atmospheric but it relies on jump scares for the horror factor though. Not bad in a cinema and might be considered creepy but not scary per se. Only one bit really got me to jump involving touching window panes. The shocks are predictable as is the story, but it is creepy however the exposistion takes an age, nothing is explained properly until past the halfway mark.

I didnt mind Daniel Radcliffe - i think he really does try not just ghost through a role (pun not intended) like other big name actors. He seemed to really enjoy this role. But then his acting vastly improved over the years and i find him quite likeable.

I will say it needs more than a 12 rating. This film is about a ghost that does nasty things to children. Not to mention the jump factor is probably enough to upset some viewers.

Original post by Dee Leigh
A little bit scary, but rather jumpy (and hilarious) at times. Quite creepy.

Spoiler

The ending made no sense - my take on it is in the spoiler bit - you have been warned peeps

Spoiler

oh and it has massive plot holes
I had my jumper half over my face for three quarters of it maybe. And then I woke up at 4am and couldn't shut my eyes for 2 hours in case she got me. I watched Carrie and Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 11 and coped better than this afterwards, no idea why a 12A got to me so much.
Reply 26
Original post by silverbolt

The ending made no sense - my take on it is in the spoiler bit - you have been warned peeps

Spoiler

I think..

Spoiler

There's at least 20 jumpy moments in the whole film. The people in the cinema were so annoying though, everytime there was a jumpy moment they would scream. :rolleyes: And yes I'm not an idiot, I know they're meant to scream, but is panting so loud that I'm not able to hear the film for a minute afterwards excusable? Speaking of hearing, there's a tense scene in the creepy mansion that has no dialogue whatsoever for about 10 minutes. Come to think of it, this film hasn't even got much dialogue. Overall apart from the jumpy parts the film wasn't really that scary. And yes it is a stereotypical ghost film, so don't expect any twists in the plot. Although if you're that much of a pussy I have to say, the ending certainly wasn't hunky dorey as you'd expect when watching a film starring Harry Potter aka Daniel Radcliffe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
It's not scary AT ALL! It's really stupid actually. Watching it in theatre is so much scarier. Like seriously, I'd recommend that instead of the film. I love Daniel Radcliffe but no. Bad film altogether.
I actually watched it lat sunday and found it alright but jumpy in a few places.
Reply 30
Not as scary as the man in black from Lost.
Reply 31
Original post by Emma_B
I think..

Spoiler

I think this is because

Spoiler

Reply 32
Not too scary in my books, there was a handful of sudden jumps, but these quickly faded. It's only scary once they start ripping and screeching their stringed instruments!

It certainly wasn't a movie that made me feel weird (scared-type) walking out of the cinema afterwards, and the plot was nowhere near enough to cause that 'haunting' effect that lasts a few days, for examples, movies like Paranormal Activity (1 ONLY!!), and The Exorcist.

Go watch it, it's nothing bad tbh. 6.5/10
the only thing scary was the state of my anger after i wasted £10 on a cinema ticket.
this movie and the devil inside made me cry, simply because i was robbed by the cinema.
There are alot of jumpy moments in the film but, like already said, nothing that "scares" you for longer than a couple of seconds.
I certainely didn't think anything of it after we left the cinema anyway :laugh:.

Its a fun film for watching with friends though as you all just end up laughing after you almost jump out of your seat; if the film itself is rubbish nothing beats that :tongue:
All the 'scary' bits are shown in the trailer >_> if you've watched the trailer, don't go and see it. You'll be disappointed.
Reply 36
It was a bit jumpy, but not scary (though a few people in the cinema did scream when I watched it, mainly at the jumpy parts).

They really shouldn't have cast Daniel Radcliffe. He's too young for the role and he wasn't that great in it.
Reply 37
I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to scary films, and I found it terrifying :frown: It was a mixture of sort of haunting scary things, like when you see the woman in black's face, and jumpy bits. I would recommend it though, just be prepared to be frightened.
I saw the play first and it was so much better. And MUCH more scary because it felt much more real. The film isn't too bad, you are always on edge because you know something will happen soon (that is the worst thing) but they overdo the 'creepy' bits in the film and the ending is really obvious towards the last quarter. I still think it is worth watching, but don't worry you will be unlikely to scream the cinema down :smile:
Only time I've ever screamed in a cinema, and I love horror films.

Quick Reply

Latest