The Student Room Group

Need to run 1.5 mile in 11 mins (In 1 month!!)

Hey,

I'm 22, a pretty healthy person but have never really done any running in a long time.

In 5 weeks I have to take a fitness test where I need to run 1.5 miles in 11mins on a treadmill.

I've been to the gym and managed to do 1.5 miles in 13mins 20 seconds with no training what so ever.

Will it be possible to get my time down in 5 weeks, if i train 5-6 days a week? Also, can you tell me what is the best course of action to take??

Should I practice running long distance?.. Say running for 40 minutes at a manageable pace? Or should I train short fast periods? Or should I do both on different days? How often should I take rest days? How could I best prepare for this?

Help much appreciated.

Also any supplements which may assist in my training?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I think you should be able to do it :smile:
I'm pretty lazy and I have to walk to college everyday which is 3 miles away and it only takes me 40 mins so roughly it takes me 13 mins a mile by walking and I don't break a sweat so you should be able to do it :biggrin:
Have you tried running outdoors? I've gone from running only 1 minute at a time to running 1mile in under 9 minutes, im sure the time will be a lot less on the threadmill as I havent got uphill, wind, stoplights amongst other things to slow me down, plus im over 200lbs. So im sure if you incorporate outdoors into your training, im sure you'll become a better athlete becomes a reduce your time.
Original post by Denny Crane
Have you tried running outdoors? I've gone from running only 1 minute at a time to running 1mile in under 9 minutes, im sure the time will be a lot less on the threadmill as I havent got uphill, wind, stoplights amongst other things to slow me down, plus im over 200lbs. So im sure if you incorporate outdoors into your training, im sure you'll become a better athlete becomes a reduce your time.

thanks, gonna try and do as much of my training on the athletics track.. there is a massive difference from track running, and treadmill running.
Reply 4
I started running last week, for the 1st times in around 3 years and I managed 1.7 miles in 12:15 seconds.
Original post by Bleak Lemming
thanks, gonna try and do as much of my training on the athletics track.. there is a massive difference from track running, and treadmill running.

What about just running outside? to parks and stuff, you might find laps boring, scenery helps while running :smile:
Original post by chickenonsteroids
What about just running outside? to parks and stuff, you might find laps boring, scenery helps while running :smile:

This too, I've got a decent route lined up through Newcastle.

good man, I'm sure you'll reach your time quickly :yep:

Best of luck,
Reply 8
Try uphill reps outside, go fast up a hill, jog down, repeat a few times (how many depends on the size of the hill). :smile:
Hey,

I'm 22, a pretty healthy person but have never really done any running in a long time.

In 5 weeks I have to take a fitness test where I need to run 1.5 miles in 11mins on a treadmill.

I've been to the gym and managed to do 1.5 miles in 13mins 20 seconds with no training what so ever.

Will it be possible to get my time down in 5 weeks, if i train 5-6 days a week? Also, can you tell me what is the best course of action to take??

Should I practice running long distance?.. Say running for 40 minutes at a manageable pace? Or should I train short fast periods? Or should I do both on different days? How often should I take rest days? How could I best prepare for this?

Help much appreciated.

Also any supplements which may assist in my training?

Hey,

I have been running this week (m a noob too!) and have been doing 1.1 mile in 10-11 minutes. But after just 5 times going, i really improved, didnt stop on my route at all. So i think in 5 weeks you will be fine!

Jesmond Dene Road?

Thats where i do my 1.5 milers :smile:

If you can mix it up a bit with some sprints and some longer runs you should develop pretty quick :smile:
Evening!

You need to be combining both Interval training which incorporates short sprints for speed and also longer distances for endurance. There is a great ebook (free) that gives you an 8 week training program to achieve 1.5 miles in 8 weeks. I see you have less time but the advice will help and if you start at week 4 then you should be fine!! the website is www.armyfitnesstest.co.uk/pace-6-40-ebook -

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest