The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Which Cardiff accommodation is best?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Am also doing Law and finally applied last monday with Talybont South first choice. Anybody else gone for Taly South? I'm hoping not too many have as don't really want to end up with my second choice (Taly North - not really sure why I put it 2nd).
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by Lauraaa12
Do you think it's better to put south down though as there is more chance of having room mates who do stuff?

Beware, living in Talybont South will certainly not mean gorgeous accommodation. People will be going out in all different types of accommodation, not just Talybont south. Taly Court may be a better idea if you want nicer accommodation, and it's the first year of univeristy; so people from there will most certainly be going out.
Reply 62
Original post by Mighty Moe
Beware, living in Talybont South will certainly not mean gorgeous accommodation. People will be going out in all different types of accommodation, not just Talybont south. Taly Court may be a better idea if you want nicer accommodation, and it's the first year of univeristy; so people from there will most certainly be going out.

I actually put court in the end anywaysss, south as a close second :P
Original post by Lauraaa12
I actually put court in the end anywaysss, south as a close second :P

Good luck, hopefully you get court.
Reply 64
Original post by doctor92
Really:confused: My first choice is allensbank because I thought it would be closer to medical school:frown:

Ahh well on the facebook group for Cardiff medics 2012, people said that most teaching in the first year is now not at Heath Park, so they changed their choices to the Talybonts :smile: it might be best though to check with Cardiff uni :smile:
Reply 65
heyy guys! apparently we could always change it from the sims under 'view' and 'update' I think :smile: I'll change it now. Thank you for telling me guys!
Reply 66
Im stuck between taly north and university halls. Any recommendations for a medical student?:smile:
Reply 67
I'm doing medicine as well (hopefully!), I'm really stuck on accomodation as well:frown: I'm deciding between Talybont North and Cartwright court. I'm really not into drinking and late night parties (but i'm still sociable:smile: ) and i want to live somewhere, where it's relatively quiet.
Do any medical students live in cartwright court?
Reply 68
If you wanted a larger room, cheaper rent and less noise than Talybont then Cartwright Court would be perfect. It's a shared ensuite, but that hasn't been a problem for me. 15 minute walk to the Humanities/law/politics buildings too, so not too far away. Bit of a hidden gem really, as everyone tends to go for Talybont. 5 minutes walk away from Tesco/Iceland/Home Bargains/ Spar too, which is handy.

Im doing Economics and Politics,any suggestion where i should go??seems taly south/colum hall are better? :smile:

thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by Cthebrill
Im doing Economics and Politics,any suggestion where i should go??seems taly south/colum hall are better? :smile:

thanks!:biggrin:

Hey. I've done history and politics for my first year, so I know where you'll be having your lectures etc. In relation to that the closest accommodation will be Colum Hall, which I haven't really seen much of. I can imagine it's quite loud though as it looks out over a main road, and it isn't aesthetically the best accommodation.

Taly South will be about a 15 minute walk to your lectures, which isn't so bad. I'm not a fan of it though as it is /very/ loud there, as it's pretty much party central 24/7 (ironically, the loudest time for me was in January exams, which was a major inconvenience). The rooms are tiny (I haven't seen smaller rooms in any university accommodation I've seen. In cardiff and elsewhere) though and there is a 'silverfish' infestation. As a result I wouldn't recommend Taly South unless you're really placing a lot of emphasis on partying a lot.

I'm at Cartwright Court at the moment which is again a 15 minute walk to lectures, with bigger rooms and kitchens, which are refurbished and actually cheaper than Taly South (not so sure about the price of Colum Hall). It's a bit quieter than Taly South, so it's good for if you want a mix between social and quiet so you can get work done. As I've said, it's close to the shops (iceland, tesco, sainsburys, lidl etc). As a result I'd recommend Cartwright Court to everyone over Taly South etc.
Reply 70
Yeah Taly south was one of my last choices. Taly court follwed by Cartwright court. I want a bit of peace and quiet at times!! :tongue:
Reply 71
I'm at Cartwright Court at the moment which is again a 15 minute walk to lectures, with bigger rooms and kitchens, which are refurbished and actually cheaper than Taly South (not so sure about the price of Colum Hall). It's a bit quieter than Taly South, so it's good for if you want a mix between social and quiet so you can get work done. As I've said, it's close to the shops (iceland, tesco, sainsburys, lidl etc). As a result I'd recommend Cartwright Court to everyone over Taly South etc.

heey thanks for the advice! how do u find the course?im quite interested in politics,and heard that economics can be really hard... :frown: any idea?

yeahh cartwright sounds like a good choice!seen from the website,i feel allensbank is also good,but why nobodys mentioning it?would it be a convenient place to live and has a balance of social+work?

thanks again :smile:
heey thanks for the advice! how do u find the course?im quite interested in politics,and heard that economics can be really hard... :frown: any idea?

yeahh cartwright sounds like a good choice!seen from the website,i feel allensbank is also good,but why nobodys mentioning it?would it be a convenient place to live and has a balance of social+work?

thanks again :smile:

Hey. Well I'm doing history and politics but I actually prefer the politics. It's a really good department and the modules are very interesting. I do introduction to government and introduction to international relations as my two modules, which are quite different but very fascinating. I've really enjoyed the politics so hopefully you'll like it too. Not too sure on allensbank as it's private accommodation rather than being run by the university team. I haven't actually seen it, or met anyone from there.
Reply 73
Hey. Well I'm doing history and politics but I actually prefer the politics. It's a really good department and the modules are very interesting. I do introduction to government and introduction to international relations as my two modules, which are quite different but very fascinating. I've really enjoyed the politics so hopefully you'll like it too. Not too sure on allensbank as it's private accommodation rather than being run by the university team. I haven't actually seen it, or met anyone from there.

is history and politics same as economics and politics,they split the course into 2 parts so you go with two different groups of people?or people in this course actually form their own class?also,is the department for politics located on the main campus?how about the exams? sorry for holding so many questions!!:P

awww i didn't notice it is private accomm!!right...yeah i'm looking for a place with a good balance of social and work...besides Cartwright,anywhere else you'd recommend me?:biggrin: is it weird to take Aberdare,the girl only one?i'd prefer mixed gender ones...but not a big fan of taly s...

thanksssssssssssss:biggrin:
You'll be mixed with everyone else doing politics modules for your politics lectures/ seminars and the same for your economics lectures and seminars. So 50% of your time will be spent in economics lectures with everyone else doing those modules and the other 50% with other students doing politics, no matter if they are doing it single honours or joint honours or as an additional module.

The department for politics is right opposite the law building which is on the main campus. It's about a 2 minute walk from the arts and social studies library (which you will be using) and a 5 minute walk from the main building (the big white one). I can't claim to know anything about the economics exams, but for politics you'll have an exam per module in January worth 20% of the module. Then you'll have another exam in the Summer worth 50%. The remaining 30% is found in essays you do in Spring and a research trail in November.

If I had to recommend two accommodations I'd say Cartwright Court and Taly Court. Taly South and Taly North were far too loud for me and a bit grotty, while Colum Hall looks similarly grotty. Aberdare hall is in a good location and looks nice from the outside but I've never been inside. If you don't mind single sex accommodation it could be a good call.

is history and politics same as economics and politics,they split the course into 2 parts so you go with two different groups of people?or people in this course actually form their own class?also,is the department for politics located on the main campus?how about the exams? sorry for holding so many questions!!:P

awww i didn't notice it is private accomm!!right...yeah i'm looking for a place with a good balance of social and work...besides Cartwright,anywhere else you'd recommend me?:biggrin: is it weird to take Aberdare,the girl only one?i'd prefer mixed gender ones...but not a big fan of taly s...

thanksssssssssssss:biggrin:
Anyone definitely chosen Senghenydd court? Or sociology and Criminology? :smile:
Hi! I've accepted my offer to the MSc Neuroimaging program but am unable to decide regarding the accommodation. Does anyone know as to which accommodation sites are closer to the CUBRIC and the Psychology dept?
Reply 77
Original post by aspirationz
Hi! I've accepted my offer to the MSc Neuroimaging program but am unable to decide regarding the accommodation. Does anyone know as to which accommodation sites are closer to the CUBRIC and the Psychology dept?

Senghenydd court or Senghenydd hall are really close (5-10 min walk max) or column road which is the same distance away in the other direction :smile:
Original post by laX
Senghenydd court or Senghenydd hall are really close (5-10 min walk max) or column road which is the same distance away in the other direction :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 79
Hi everyone , I want 12 week contract accommodation for next semester starts from September untill December ,please help me I couldn't find any accommodation less than 20weeks:frown: help meeeee

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending