The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Which Cardiff accommodation is best?

Hi,
I have heard that Talybont is the nicest and newest accommodation in cardiff uni, but there is talybont court, North and South......which is the best and whats the difference between them all????
Please help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Taly Court - Most expensive, very nice rooms and kitchen. Closest to the University.

Taly South - Considered the most social halls, rooms are slightly smaller and older than Court

Taly "the bronx" north - Very similar to South but older.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Which one would you choose?
Reply 3
does each room have its own bathroom? or do they share one?
Reply 4
Yeah, all talybont rooms have their own ensuite.

I'm going to be studying Law, is there specific accommodation where students studying law stay or are they mostly mixed? :smile:
I go to Cardiff now, and live in Taly South. Obviously that makes me a bit biased, but I would definitely say South!
In the eyes of Cardiff Uni, North is a bit of a ghetto, and Court is up itself :wink:
South is really lovely and social.
I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by abigailrebecca
I go to Cardiff now, and live in Taly South. Obviously that makes me a bit biased, but I would definitely say South!
In the eyes of Cardiff Uni, North is a bit of a ghetto, and Court is up itself :wink:
South is really lovely and social.
I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions :smile:

What order would you rank the accomodations if you had to choose??
Personally, I'd go for Court, South then North, even though I lived in Taly South last year and loved it! Court bathrooms and kitchens are just much nicer and bigger, but then you get used to wherever you end up!!
Original post by DevonSun
What order would you rank the accomodations if you had to choose??

Of the Taly ones?
South, Court, North :smile: Court doesn't seem to be as social, and a lot of the people I know who live in court say that not that many people in their flat like to go out very often, so they have to find other people to go out with! Depends what you're looking for though.
Reply 9
Original post by abigailrebecca
Of the Taly ones?
South, Court, North :smile: Court doesn't seem to be as social, and a lot of the people I know who live in court say that not that many people in their flat like to go out very often, so they have to find other people to go out with! Depends what you're looking for though.

well probably somewhere more social! ive stayed with my mate in south and it was really good fun as everyone is so social but i dont know whether court would be worth it just due to the increased cost and also as you said, the less social vibe (which is also what my mate said). However that being said i havent heard how social north is and the only things i have heard about it is how run down it is sometimes!
but at the end of the day having social contact means more to me then a nice shower!

but at the end of the day thats purely what my friends have said, so the more opinions i have the better view i can get.
well probably somewhere more social! ive stayed with my mate in south and it was really good fun as everyone is so social but i dont know whether court would be worth it just due to the increased cost and also as you said, the less social vibe (which is also what my mate said). However that being said i havent heard how social north is and the only things i have heard about it is how run down it is sometimes!
but at the end of the day having social contact means more to me then a nice shower!

but at the end of the day thats purely what my friends have said, so the more opinions i have the better view i can get.

From what I know about north, it's about the same as south in terms of how social it is, it's just a bit more run down than south!
Reply 11

Dont think that just taly courts are the big social ones!
Theres also the uni halls which the other side of the Student union, which are similar to taly south and taly north. Also really social as alot of the med students live there so its great for the med socials. When i was there it ended up sometimes with what seemed all of uni hall hitting cardiff together!
Compared to the taly's its allso similar in terms of accomodation quality (not as run down as north tho! :biggrin:)
Reply 12
Ahh there's nothing wrong with us lot down in North. South is where the social scene tends to happen, but that doesn't automatically mean that everyone in North is boring. :smile:

Though in terms of ranking, North is the worst of the three generally. Personally I like Court then South, but can see why others would put them the other way around.
If you wanted a larger room, cheaper rent and less noise than Talybont then Cartwright Court would be perfect. It's a shared ensuite, but that hasn't been a problem for me. 15 minute walk to the Humanities/law/politics buildings too, so not too far away. Bit of a hidden gem really, as everyone tends to go for Talybont. 5 minutes walk away from Tesco/Iceland/Home Bargains/ Spar too, which is handy.
Reply 14
North isn't entirely rough, the buildings near the astroturf are newer than the reduced ones and are basically the same as what you get in Taly South in terms of quality. South does often seem livelier though that might just be because everyone walks through there on their way to town or whatnot, also they have 8 to a flat compared to 6 in north. I had south as my first choice but north isn't as bad as people make out, you are much closer to the gym and the big Tesco as well.
Reply 15
I'm trying to make my mind up between these! Its such a hard decision. I really want gorgeous accommodation and don't mind paying extra, but I can't be dealing with a flat of boring sob's :P
I want to be going out all the time and lots of banter with my room mates.
Really don't know which one would be best out of South or Court.
I'm going for Pharmacy at Cardiff, anyone else in my situation or want to give me some advice, would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Lauraaa12
I'm trying to make my mind up between these! Its such a hard decision. I really want gorgeous accommodation and don't mind paying extra, but I can't be dealing with a flat of boring sob's :P
I want to be going out all the time and lots of banter with my room mates.
Really don't know which one would be best out of South or Court.
I'm going for Pharmacy at Cardiff, anyone else in my situation or want to give me some advice, would be greatly appreciated :smile:

You have no choice who you are set with. Even in South theres flats which dont do anything. Its just pure luck
Reply 17
Original post by NGC773
You have no choice who you are set with. Even in South theres flats which dont do anything. Its just pure luck

Do you think it's better to put south down though as there is more chance of having room mates who do stuff?
Original post by Lauraaa12
Do you think it's better to put south down though as there is more chance of having room mates who do stuff?

Yeah I think so. South is considered the most social accommodation so naturally people who want to party alot will pick it first. Court is just as social although its slightly quieter these days after freshers.

I have friends in North and all over the place who are very social, every flat is different.
Reply 19
I been looking at the rooms and what are the difference between normal ensuit and undergraduate plus??
Also do people tend to pick the Mixed housing or single sex?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending