The Student Room Group

Do you wear ear plugs to night clubs?

Scroll to see replies

wtf, troll thread surely.
Reply 21
By the time I'm 50 I fully expect to have robot ears, so meh :tongue:
Original post by Captain Haddock
I'm a drummer, I've played for 10 years and for the first 5 or so of those years I didn't wear hearing protection while playing every day, or when going to gigs. It took it's toll on my hearing, and I developed minor tinnitus. That **** is irreversible, that ringing will be with me the rest of my life so you bet your ass I take care of my hearing now. I bring ear plugs to clubs, concerts, festivals, wherever there might be loud music. I don't always need to put them in but I don't see how it's 'silly' to take precautions against irreversible hearing damage.

Cute.
Reply 23
I once woke up after a night out with a perforated eardrum (very painful)
I've had "mild" tinnitus before and let me tell you, that **** is ****ing terrifying, not to mention dehabilitating (for a light sleeper especially).

Take care of your ears kids, trust me.
Reply 25
Original post by The Entity
wtf, troll thread surely.

How is this a troll thread?
Reply 26
Wow, this makes me glad I'm learning sign language.

Tbh, when I read this first I was like 'NO HAHA, WHO WEARS EAR PLUGS TO CLUBS' but I'm thinking twice about it now. Stuff like this isn't publicised enough.

Although having said that, I doubt I'll start wearing earplugs, but like has been said, I'll go outside for a break more often and make sure I'm well away from the speakers. I guess I've had it a couple of times maybe, where I get a slight ringing in my ears, but its never bothered me.
Original post by kerb123
I'm just worried about developing tinnitus, so what ear plugs would you recommend, if any at all?

You won't develop permanent tinnitus from going to a nightclub unless you go every night. But you might get temporary tinnitus, though if you don't go too often you'll be fine. Given that you may look a little odd with earplugs in though, could you just not go to the club? Why not go to a bar or something instead?

Earplugs generally aren't very good, especially if you have particularly large or small ears. You can buy travel earplugs from chemists, and swimming ones from swimming pools. Otherwise, cotton wool.
Reply 28
Original post by Steevee
By the time I'm 50 I fully expect to have robot ears, so meh :tongue:

Your hearing can't ever be corrected or fixed like eyesight with glasses ha. Even if you did have some form of cochlear implant or 'robot ears' your hearing would still never be the same. In fact most people who have implants complain that voices are more robotic sounding than human...

Honestly so many people will have hearing aids in the future it's crazy. Tbh people should wear them at clubs but people never will.
Reply 29
After causing myself quite a bit of hearing damage over the years, I'm seriously considering wearing some in future. :erm:

You can buy them pretty cheaply and they're quite comfortable when you get used to them.
Reply 30
Original post by SparksInTheSky

Earplugs generally aren't very good, especially if you have particularly large or small ears. You can buy travel earplugs from chemists, and swimming ones from swimming pools. Otherwise, cotton wool.

How is that true? And it doesn't matter how big your ears are really, you're protecting your eardrum, which is tiny. Cotton wool is quite dangerous as well because it can get easily stuck.
Reply 31
Original post by Pitt1988
I spend too much time outside damaging my lungs to think twice about my lugs!

Pretty much this. Only time I've had ringing ears was after sticking my head in a Funktion one when Sven Vath dropped Stranger to Stability. :colone:
I do when I go to concerts. It means that I can sleep when I get home as well, and not have it sound like an alarm is constantly going off in my head.
Reply 33
Original post by astros4ws
Metal gigs may well be much louder than night clubs. The basic rule of thumb though is if you're shouting into someone's ear to have a conversation then it is definitely too loud to stay there for any length of time without earplugs.

As you can see here: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/voice-level-d_938.html shouting is about 88dB at 30cm distance. You can safely listen to that for 4 hours: http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html.

If someone has to be much closer than that for you to hear them then the background noise will be higher and therefore the safe length of time for you to be exposed to the noise will be shorter.

Also, if you come out of a club with your ears ringing then you've damaged your hearing. Perhaps only slightly, but it adds up over time and the cells in your ears don't heal - once your hearing is damaged it is permanent.

Clubs are certainly too loud I agree, it's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of them. I just wondered if they were all really comparable to a plane taking off.

I may well invest in some earplugs the next time I'm dragged along.
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a pair also. When you need to shout in someones ear just for them to hear you. You know this can't be all good for you.
Original post by fnm
Your hearing can't ever be corrected or fixed like eyesight with glasses ha. Even if you did have some form of cochlear implant or 'robot ears' your hearing would still never be the same. In fact most people who have implants complain that voices are more robotic sounding than human...

Honestly so many people will have hearing aids in the future it's crazy. Tbh people should wear them at clubs but people never will.

While it being ready by age 50 is incredibly optimistic (and they're obviously joking, but if serious then also incredibly stupid), I'm sure people were saying the exact same thing before glasses/contact lenses were invented etc.
Reply 36
Original post by aliluvschoc
Odd, particularly the bit I've bolded. Metal gigs seem a million times louder than nightclubs to me, so I wonder how they compare to planes taking off? A rocket taking off perhaps?

Or maybe the clubs I've been to are simply not as loud as the ones in this study you quoted, I think that's more likely the answer. I don't think many clubs are really that loud. Certainly I don't feel pain in my ears or tinnitus the day after, whereas after a gig without earplugs I would.

Agree ^. I go to a lot of DnB events and the music loudness is ridiculous in comparison to a club. Clubs don't play music that loudly at all, definitely not as loud as me listening to music through headphones (and not even at full volume) so I dunno what all the fuss is about.
Reply 37
Original post by mau5
Pretty much this. Only time I've had ringing ears was after sticking my head in a Funktion one when Sven Vath dropped Stranger to Stability. :colone:

Saw him at cocoon in the park last year mate, single best day of summer that! He's at tomorrowland as well this year, can't wait for that!
Original post by SleepySheep
Cute.

Aha, some know-it-all teenager posting snarky comments in a life advice forum, now that is cute.
this thread has made me scared for my hearing

i might invest in some ear plugs :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending