The Student Room Group

Do you wear ear plugs to night clubs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I know this is an old thread but oh well...

Some clubs and some gigs you don't need to wear ear plugs but the majority are way too loud. If you go to clubs or gigs often and you get temporary ringing in the ears then you should see this as a warming sign. Its called tinnitus and I have it permanently and will have it for the rest of my life as there is no cure.

It's the worst thing to of happened to me, imagine trying to get to sleep with a loud ringing in your ears.

Protect your ears, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Z89SRG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have tinnitus in my right ear. Not 100% sure how it developed (I don't go to clubs) but I do tend to listen to music loud on my headphones and only use my right ear on the phone. I had an MRI scan on my head but nothing was found so concluded it was tinnitus.

For about a year it troubled me so much when trying to sleep as it's a high pitched, albeit quiet noise, but I finally managed to learn how to ignore it. This was fine until my housemate had the same thing. I hadn't even thought about my own tinnitus for a year, but then I started to think about it and also tried to listen out for it, and now I'm back to hearing it. I can imagine it's a nightmare for people who have it worse than me.
little wizard - sometimes people find that having a low levle of beckground noise can mask tinnitus - something like radio 4 on quietly ... might also help you by subliminal learning !
Original post by zippyRN
little wizard - sometimes people find that having a low levle of beckground noise can mask tinnitus - something like radio 4 on quietly ... might also help you by subliminal learning !

I'm one of those people who require silence to sleep... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
I'm currently looking for the most innocuous ear filters on the market... for concerts as well. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears :wink:
Reply 125
A word I have developed tinnitus from just 2 hours of clubbing and would give anything to go back and stop it, i can't get to sleep or anything now effing great
Wear earplugs, you can hear everything almost exactaly the same just a bit quieter. They are perfect for bar staff as you can hear the customer more easily wearing ear plugs (been doing it for 8years). Conversation is easier, music is no different, yes people will think your weird for a while but you'll have the last laugh when your hangover is slightly easier (no ringing) and you can hear your grandchildren laugh when your 90. Any earplug is better than no earplug but check out this guy for some expert knowledge: http://www.djtechtools.com/2015/01/25/what-you-need-to-know-about-protect-your-hearing/
Reply 127
I'd just like to weigh in here...

I am 20 years old and got tinnitus when I was 15 and it ruined my life for over a year. It was from loud noise exposure at an under 16s event for a friends birthday!

During my battle with depression/anxiety brought on by T I met a lady through my mums friend who was recently diagnosed, aged 40 who phoned me crying at 3am because she couldn't shut the sound out... That night i managed to calm her down and she got through but a month later she couldn't take it any longer and slit her wrists, her daughter found her in a pool of blood the next morning on the kitchen floor, She ended up in a coma for 9 months and when her family decided to turn off the life support but she could breathe on her own still, 2 years later she finally passed away however was trapped in her body unable to see, hear or move all of that time.

It's safe to say I now wear ear plugs to clubs/concerts and even pubs that are too loud and I advise everyone too unless you want to end up deaf with tinnitus, it really isn't worth the risk of one night out potentially ruining your whole life.
Nobody knows the severity of ear damage until they get it. I am a music maniac and listen to music all the time, one fine day i started getting radio hissing sound in my ear if i am exposed to loud sounds. It was four years ago, to this day i never went to a dj club or any events for that matter where there is loud music. It ******** my life.
So, yes wear concealed ear plugs, or wear earphones that cancels out some sound. Even Samsung's inner ear phones can also reduce your exposure and damage. I dont know how its going to make u look like in the club :P try something that makes u look good but yea i would rather have good hearing than be worried about looking stupid.
Reply 129
I would completely argue against this. Just because you haven't got tinnitus now doesn't mean you wont get it later on. I go into clubs/bars wherever and get ringing in my ears after I come out that used to go away after a day or two. I have tinnitus now, prolonged exposure to noise can damage your ears even if you don't think it's that loud.
Reply 130
Original post by diving_queen
No.

Unless you are dj'ing (thus have headphones)/the 'sound' guy or a lighting technician.
You won't need ear plugs.

EDIT: I think I need to make a point...I work in a bar/club. This music is LOUD. But I don't get tinnitus...or ear pain at all.
Bar staff can't wear them or they would'nt hear a damn thing. Worse than per normal.

So if bar staff can suffer 6 hours serving drinks. Then people dancing can. And shouldn't stand right next to the amps. Thats just stupid.

Haha this post seems to be controversial! Interesting how no one has quoted me to explain why they disagree...
As a young member of the human species. I know NOONE. Not a SINGLE young human who wears ear-plugs clubbing. Its certainly not the norm.

Maybe staff couldn't wear earplugs but everyone else should always do so as it will have a bad effect over time.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending