The Student Room Group

Higher English Essay Marking

Hi, I was just wondering how long everyone's teachers take to mark essays they hand in for the folio? So far, my English class has done 2 essays for the folio; a personal & reflective essay and a persuasive essay. Before Christmas, it took our teacher 8 weeks to give back our marked persuasive essay, and that was only after several complaints to the school from parents. After Christmas (January 11th I think) we gave in our P&R essays, and she is yet to hand them back to us. How long do you think it's reasonable to wait to receive essays back? When we ask her in class when she will have finished them, she usually says 'soon', or 'some time this week' but the essays never actually materialise :frown: Thanks!
Mines takes a few days at quiet times and up to 2 weeks at busy times, but usually less :smile: (even though im doing int2 im'm in a higher class)
Reply 2
Original post by JumbleJumble
Hi, I was just wondering how long everyone's teachers take to mark essays they hand in for the folio? So far, my English class has done 2 essays for the folio; a personal & reflective essay and a persuasive essay. Before Christmas, it took our teacher 8 weeks to give back our marked persuasive essay, and that was only after several complaints to the school from parents. After Christmas (January 11th I think) we gave in our P&R essays, and she is yet to hand them back to us. How long do you think it's reasonable to wait to receive essays back? When we ask her in class when she will have finished them, she usually says 'soon', or 'some time this week' but the essays never actually materialise :frown: Thanks!

She is taking too long. As well as being keen to find out your marks you need them back in order to see where you went wrong or not.

This isn't acceptable and your parents need to complain again on your behalf.

My son's teacher isn't super fast but she does manage within 4 weeks. Anything longer seems excessive to me.

:smile:
Reply 3
Just remember around this time there are SG, Higher and some AH folios to be marked :smile: Sg consists of 5, higher 2 and AH 2 or 3, not sure. Imagine your teacher has a higher and SG class each of 30. That's 210 essays that each take 15-20 mins each. Just be respectful of a teachers workload :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by catoswyn
She is taking too long. As well as being keen to find out your marks you need them back in order to see where you went wrong or not.

This isn't acceptable and your parents need to complain again on your behalf.

My son's teacher isn't super fast but she does manage within 4 weeks. Anything longer seems excessive to me.

:smile:

yeah, this amount of time would seem absolutely fine to me :smile: I know she can do it in that time, and also wouldn't mind so much if she didn't just blatantly lie when we asked her about them! Last week we asked when she would get them back to us and she said definitely by the end of the week, and then she never even mentioned them again :/

aroy45, i realise she probably has alot of work on her plate with lots of different things needing marking, but I still think that 2 months to mark essays is quite a rediculous amount of time! Last year my standard grade teacher could take about 4 weeks to mark during periods when she also had higher essays to mark, because the higher essays had the priority. She never took longer than about a month though, so surely that is a reasonable time frame to expect work back?

Thanks for the responses! I may have a word with the head of department :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JumbleJumble

do other teachers manage to mark essays a lot quicker than your teacher? if they do, you could always print off another copy of it and ask them to mark it for you, because well, they may do it quicker and it wouldn't hurt to have two teacher's opinions! (I had to do this when my teacher was off for three weeks, ughhh)
Reply 6
Original post by rawragee
do other teachers manage to mark essays a lot quicker than your teacher? if they do, you could always print off another copy of it and ask them to mark it for you, because well, they may do it quicker and it wouldn't hurt to have two teacher's opinions! (I had to do this when my teacher was off for three weeks, ughhh)

This is a good idea too :smile: I might see if my teacher from last year will mark it too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending