The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AceS4
I am from Romania...will I have to at the KCL on the 12th or the 17th? I will be a first year UG. Thank you!!

Hi AceS4

Thanks for your message!

Basically induction and enrolment week is 17th September and you must be there for the 17th to do the formal enrolment process. But also this is a great time to start meeting people, making friends, joining societies and finding your way around King's and London!

As an international student you will receive information in due course (via myApplication email) about the international student orientation days (12-14 Sept). You need to register onto these days to attend and they aren't compulsory but they are a really good way of getting support with lots of different elements of moving to a new country, plus you get to meet lots of people who are in the same position as you!

So if it were me, I'd probably arrive before the 12th and take part in the orientation days, get settled in etc and be ready to go for the 17th!

Hope that helps! :smile:

Fran
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
It has been brought to my notice that my username did not go down well with Admissions team here. I fully understand how frustrating it might have been for all of you to answer someone with a username like that. I really didn't imagine the consequences while choosing the username and later couldn't change it without suffering the loss of many important thread subscriptions. I just want to apologise to the Admissions team (Fran is one name that pops up first in my mind) I'm hugely looking forward to my time in King's College London.
King's College London >>>>> Oxford :redface: :smile: :smile:
Original post by prospectiveoxonian
It has been brought to my notice that my username did not go down well with Admissions team here. I fully understand how frustrating it might have been for all of you to answer someone with a username like that. I really didn't imagine the consequences while choosing the username and later couldn't change it without suffering the loss of many important thread subscriptions. I just want to apologise to the Admissions team (Fran is one name that pops up first in my mind) I'm hugely looking forward to my time in King's College London.

Good one. :biggrin:
Reply 543
Hello,

I was wondering, how competitive/popular is the MSc Computing and IT Law as well as the Computing Security course? The website says you only admit ~20 people per course.

Many thanks.
Reply 544
How many applicants per place were they for your Mathematics BSc course?
Original post by prospectiveoxonian

Hi prospectiveoxonian,

No need to apologise! There's no problem with the username you chose, everyone can choose whatever username they like on TSR and it doesn't have any bearing on their position with us at all. Really happy that you are looking forward to joining us at King's :smile:

Cheers!

Fran
Original post by syNK
How many applicants per place were they for your Mathematics BSc course?

Hi syNK,

In 2011 there were around 6 applicants per place for BSc Mathematics, and around 180-190 students were admitted onto Mathematics programmes in 2011.

Hope this helps :smile:

Fran
Original post by michi89_1
Hello,

I was wondering, how competitive/popular is the MSc Computing and IT Law as well as the Computing Security course? The website says you only admit ~20 people per course.

Many thanks.

Hi michi89_1

Thanks for your question. I've just spoken to the admissions team for these programmes and the intake for each of these programmes is roughly 20-30 people. They usually receive around 70-90 applications for each programme so it is pretty competitive/popular but they do accept applications until end of July for 2012 entry.

Fran
Hi,

I am thinking of intercalating (spending 1 year at King's coming from another university) this September. My course organiser has classed me as an undergraduate. Are there any conditions for students such as myself that apply for King's accommodation? Am I given equal priority as the other undergraduates? How likely am I to get any of my ranked choices, and has it happened before in the past? As much info on this as possible would be hugely appreciated :smile:

Iso
Original post by Isometrix
Hi,

I am thinking of intercalating (spending 1 year at King's coming from another university) this September. My course organiser has classed me as an undergraduate. Are there any conditions for students such as myself that apply for King's accommodation? Am I given equal priority as the other undergraduates? How likely am I to get any of my ranked choices, and has it happened before in the past? As much info on this as possible would be hugely appreciated :smile:

Iso

Hi Iso,

Thanks for your message; I'm just checking with the Accommodation Office on your query as its a bit beyond my field of expertise unfortunately! Should hopefully have some info for you shortly!

Cheers :smile:

Fran
Original post by Isometrix
Hi,

Iso

Hi Iso

I've just heard back from the Accommodation Office.

The priority for accommodation is given to applicants who are studying in higher education for the first time, live outside of the M25 ring road or who are international. Even though you are an undergraduate student as this is not your first time studying in higher education I'm afraid that you wouldn't be classed as a top priority for accommodation, but if you get your application for accommodation submitted before the 30 June deadline then this will help you chances in being allocated accommodation.

Accommodation for UG students is allocated by a random computerised ballot after A Level results and priority students would obviously take precedence. It varies from year to year as to when students who are lower priority may find out if they have been successful in being allocated accommodation, but this tends to be at the start of September at the earliest. Obviously people in a position such as yourself have been allocated accommodation in the past so there is a chance you could be successful. Therefore the advice of the Accommodation Office was to submit an application (definitely by 30 June to increase your chances) but to also investigate alternative accommodation options e.g. in the private rented sector, more information can be found here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/accom/kings/private/index.aspx

Fran
Hi,
I was just wondering in previous years how quickly people in zone 5 have been allocated accomodation? also do you think it would be a major disadvantage to live at home for a month or whatever until I got accomodation (ie in terms of freshers and making friends?)
Hello,

First of all, thank you for answering all these question, it's a very practical and easy way for getting answers to our queries and a great initiative.

Second of all, I had two question :

1/ I've been made an offer for the Politics of the International Economy course and as it's a new course I haven't been able to get figures about it : Could I have some informations about the number of applicants and the intake for this year ?

2/ I'm an international student and my offer specifies that I have to obtain IELTS with 7.0, however when I wanted to book a testplace all the dates available were too close to the deadline I'm supposed to send my qualification to KCL and it wouldn't have let me the time to resit the test in case of failing. Since my offer letter stipulates that it can be "other equivalent qualification" I decided to take the TOEFL iBT test. Is that a problem ? Do I need to inform the admission office about that ? And also, I was wondering what would happen if i get 98 or 99 instead of 100+ at the Toefl? Would it mean i missed my offer or is it possible to negotiate?

Thanking you in advance
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
Hi,
I was just wondering in previous years how quickly people in zone 5 have been allocated accomodation? also do you think it would be a major disadvantage to live at home for a month or whatever until I got accomodation (ie in terms of freshers and making friends?)

Hi <3 inbetweener =D

Thanks for your question.

As I'm sure you'll be aware if you are currently living within the M25 ring road then you are a lower priority for university accommodation than students who live outside it. Therefore priority is given to those people first and places in accommodation start being allocated after A Level results day (16 Aug). Lower priority students (if they have been successful in gaining a place) can expect to start hearing if they have been allocated a place by late August/early September.

Plenty of people at King's do live at home whilst studying with us and still have very hectic social lives and meet lots of people! If you do need to live at home for the first month or so I don't think you'll be at a huge disadvantage at all, just make sure you attend the fresher's week activities, meet and greets with your coursemates and get involved at the Student Union when you start, that way you'll get meeting people very quickly! Make use of the last tube and night buses if you want to stay out late too!

I hope this helps, it might be worth posting in other threads in the King's forum to see whether any current students have been in the same position as you and see what they have to say :smile:

Fran
Reply 554
If I apply for accommodation and I am allocated a place can I give up my place if I don't want it anymore?

When applying for accommodation can you specify what type of room you want? I mean if I only want an ensuite...
Reply 555
I have tickets for King's Live but don't think I'll be able to make it now, what do I do/who do I contact?

Thankss :smile:
Reply 556
Is Liberty House (St John Street) still a nominated residence by KCL?
Is it still available to apply to and rank through KCL's application program?

Thank you
Original post by mister_blue
Hello,

First of all, thank you for answering all these question, it's a very practical and easy way for getting answers to our queries and a great initiative.

Second of all, I had two question :

1/ I've been made an offer for the Politics of the International Economy course and as it's a new course I haven't been able to get figures about it : Could I have some informations about the number of applicants and the intake for this year ?

2/ I'm an international student and my offer specifies that I have to obtain IELTS with 7.0, however when I wanted to book a testplace all the dates available were too close to the deadline I'm supposed to send my qualification to KCL and it wouldn't have let me the time to resit the test in case of failing. Since my offer letter stipulates that it can be "other equivalent qualification" I decided to take the TOEFL iBT test. Is that a problem ? Do I need to inform the admission office about that ? And also, I was wondering what would happen if i get 98 or 99 instead of 100+ at the Toefl? Would it mean i missed my offer or is it possible to negotiate?

Thanking you in advance

Hi mister_blue

Thanks for your question; happy to hear you are finding the forum useful! :smile:

You're right, Politics of the International Economy (PIE) is a new course so figures regarding intake and applications isn't really available yet. I would suggest that you contact the programme leader directly to discuss PIE. His name is Rod Dacombe and he's really keen to help answer any questions regarding the programme, he can be contacted via email ([email protected]) or on the phone (020 7848 7350). Here's a link to his profile: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/politicaleconomy/people/academic/dacombe.aspx

Rod will also be able to help advise you on the English language entry requirements, or you can contact the admissions team as they will be able to give you the most up to date information on this. They are available on [email protected] or +44 (0) 20 7848 1403 or (0) 20 7848 7216.

Fran
Original post by oHellno
I have tickets for King's Live but don't think I'll be able to make it now, what do I do/who do I contact?

Thankss :smile:

Hi oHellno,

Thanks for letting us know; shame you can't make it! In the email you received to book your tickets you should be able to log in and cancel your tickets, that way they will then go to the next people on the waiting list. Alternatively, PM me with your full name and I will ensure the event organiser is aware and we can cancel your tickets that way.

Fran :smile:
Original post by AceS4
If I apply for accommodation and I am allocated a place can I give up my place if I don't want it anymore?

When applying for accommodation can you specify what type of room you want? I mean if I only want an ensuite...

Hi AceS4

Yes, if you are successfully allocated a place you can give it up, you will need to let the Accommodation Office know as soon as possible that you no longer want the room. But be aware that once you give it up, it will be reallocated to someone else and you will not be able to get another place in university accommodation for that year, so think very carefully before giving it up!

In terms of room type, just make sure you rank the accommodation that has rooms you would prefer (i.e. ensuite) at the top of your rankings, that way you will have a better chance of being allocated it. However, we can't make any guarantees that you will be allocated the specific room type you would prefer!

Fran

Quick Reply