The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King’s College London Open Week 12-16 March

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Hi KCL! I was also wondering about the contact hours for law. Could you also find out about the contact hours for law?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by darkccc
Hi KCL! I was also wondering about the contact hours for law. Could you also find out about the contact hours for law?

Hello darkccc!

I will contact the department and get back to you. I assume you are referring to the straight Law LLB?

All the best,
Emma :smile:
Reply 682
Hi KCL,

I live within the M25 circle (zone 4) and know that my chances of getting King's residences is very slim. However, I heard that it is far more likely for a Londoner to get a place in an Intercollegiate Hall since they are more expensive than King's residences and therefore, are in less demand. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Thanks.
Reply 683
Hi KCL,

I have been given the offer for second year of Computer Science. Could you help me understanding better the conditions? The offer says I have to achieve 70% overall average in my first year at my current uni. The problem is, here in Poland we use grades rather than percentages, so for each subject I am taking I will be awarded 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 or 5.0. In subjects where you get points during the year, you need 70% to be awarded 4.0. Does it mean that I have to achieve overall average of 4.0? I ask only because on the official statement there will be my grade average overall so I want to make sure it will be honoured by KCL. The second question is about accommodation. Could you tell me if I will be given the same priority as if I was starting the course? Bearing in mind I am entering UK HE system and definitely live outside M25;p One last thing, could you tell me/check what tution fees will I be paying? I mean, the course started a year ago, when it was 3000 pounds, but for me it starts this year so it's up to 9000. I find it a little bit confusing.

Thank you for your help,

Peter
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 684
Hello,
I am just looking for a bit of advice really. I am currently on an access to nursing course as a mature student and have been applying for adult nursing degree via ucas for sept '12 intake.
Quite a while back I received an unsuccessful from you (KCL) but as of yesterday I had an email asking if I could come on for a selection day due to now having extra spaces I assume.
The problem is, where I am so far into course I am unsure I will be able to get the high amount of distinctions you require lol!
I don't want to waste anyone's time and take a selection day spot if I know I will not be able to fulfill any offer that may be offered unless of course it is not absolutely vital taking other factors on my application into consideration.
I would appreciate any feedback,
Hi,

I have an A*AA offer for liberal arts, and was wondering what the chances of being accepted with AAAB would be like?
Reply 686
Original post by King’s College London
Hello darkccc!

I will contact the department and get back to you. I assume you are referring to the straight Law LLB?

All the best,
Emma :smile:

Well I've applied for the straight LLB but I have friends who applied for the combined law programmes i.e. the M190 one and the one with French law, so it would be great if you could also find out the number of contact hours provided in those programmes as well!
Reply 687
Hi King’s College London,

I am an international student and have unconditional offers for both Philosophy and Philosophy, Ethics and Religion in 2013.

I would like to ask do I apply for accommodation this year or the next?

Also, upon firming the offer, do I have to pay a deposit or any sum of money? Or do I just pay when I'm going to start school in 2013.

Thank you!

Looking forward to be there,
Tim
Reply 688
Hi Emma and the KCL Team,

I am an international student offered a conditional offer for Medicine for 2012. However, my results have fallen marginally short of the offer. I have made an online appeal to KCL and their reply is to wait until August before they can consider my case. I have always wanted to join KCL and am at a lost as to what to do since I have been given firm offers from other universities both in my home country and overseas.

I have received a package from KCL and wonders if I should sign up for the halls accommodation. Otherwise, if my appeal is successful, I may be left with no accommodation.

Secondly, when is the new term for Medicine at KCL starting and when should I report if my appeal is successful?

Thirdly, what is the latest date I can expect to hear from the Administration office regarding my appeal as I really really want to join KCL?

Lastly, is it really possible to speak to anyone at KCL about this appeal?

I would be most grateful if you can guide me on the above.

Thank you.

Surflee
Reply 689
heeey KCL team !

i contacted you a while ago about the MSc China & Globalisation and I am happy to tell i got a conditional offer :biggrin: thanks all for the tips !! i hope i meet my conditions, cant wait to start now !

does any of you know anything about the amount of contact hours of this course? just wondering, cause this also might help me with accommodation :smile:

thanks everyone :smile:
Original post by timkek
Hi King’s College London,

I am an international student and have unconditional offers for both Philosophy and Philosophy, Ethics and Religion in 2013.

I would like to ask do I apply for accommodation this year or the next?

Also, upon firming the offer, do I have to pay a deposit or any sum of money? Or do I just pay when I'm going to start school in 2013.

Thank you!

Looking forward to be there,
Tim

Hi Tim! Congratulations on your offers TWO courses, that’s brilliant. They are both fantastic degrees!

In terms of accommodation, if your offer is for entry in 2013 then you would apply for halls in 2013, when the accommodation applications are open from around April that year.

You also have to make one of the offers you have now into a ‘firm’ choice on your UCAS account THIS year, to secure your place but there is no course deposit needed (sometimes there are for postgraduate programmes, but not undergraduate). It’s important to keep checking your King’s myApplication account as important messages will come through this portal.

We hope that helps, and congratulations again! See you next September!

Chris
King's College London
Original post by darkccc
Well I've applied for the straight LLB but I have friends who applied for the combined law programmes i.e. the M190 one and the one with French law, so it would be great if you could also find out the number of contact hours provided in those programmes as well!

Hi darkccc!

Thank you for your message. The contact hours are the same for all three of these programmes in the first and second year. For core modules we are looking at the following contact hours per module: 2 hour lecture and 1 hour tutorial per week and 4 x 2 hour research seminars throughout the year. Group sizes for tutorials up to 20,10 for research seminars. Optional modules have different contact hours, which are either a 2 hour lecture and 1 hour tutorial per week, or 2 hour seminar per week.

UG students taking the core modules in year 1, 2 and 3 (or equivalent) will be guaranteed exposure to full-time academic staff in lectures and research seminars. The addition of the research seminars we see as an enhancement and a way for students to engage with full-time staff in a capacity that best takes advantage of their expertise.

Hope this helps :smile:
Emma
Original post by ruixue
heeey KCL team !

i contacted you a while ago about the MSc China & Globalisation and I am happy to tell i got a conditional offer :biggrin: thanks all for the tips !! i hope i meet my conditions, cant wait to start now !

does any of you know anything about the amount of contact hours of this course? just wondering, cause this also might help me with accommodation :smile:

thanks everyone :smile:

Dear ruixie

Congratulations on your offer! We’ve spoken to the Lau China Institute who offer this programme, and have some figures for you regarding the contact hours.

There are 6 taught modules taught over 2 terms (of 10 weeks each), each having 20 contact hours. You will also have 6 hours dissertation supervision through the summer term (6 weeks), which makes a minimum of 126 hours of contact time over the 3 terms. You’ll also have meetings with personal tutors, and things like essay workshops so this will add to the contact time (depending on how often you meet, and how many workshops you go to!)

So, most of your contact time will be over the autumn and spring terms, anywhere upwards of 6 hours per week, plus the dissertation supervision over the summer of around 1 hour per week plus further personal tutor and workshop hours.

We hope that helps, and look forward to seeing you in September!! :biggrin:

Chris
King’s College London
Original post by fjalar
Hi KCL,

I have been given the offer for second year of Computer Science. Could you help me understanding better the conditions? The offer says I have to achieve 70% overall average in my first year at my current uni. The problem is, here in Poland we use grades rather than percentages, so for each subject I am taking I will be awarded 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 or 5.0. In subjects where you get points during the year, you need 70% to be awarded 4.0. Does it mean that I have to achieve overall average of 4.0? I ask only because on the official statement there will be my grade average overall so I want to make sure it will be honoured by KCL. The second question is about accommodation. Could you tell me if I will be given the same priority as if I was starting the course? Bearing in mind I am entering UK HE system and definitely live outside M25;p One last thing, could you tell me/check what tution fees will I be paying? I mean, the course started a year ago, when it was 3000 pounds, but for me it starts this year so it's up to 9000. I find it a little bit confusing.

Thank you for your help,

Peter

Hello Peter!

Thank you for your message. I have just spoken with our Admissions team about the grades and the situation with your tuition fees. They asked for you to contact them directly via the myApplication portal so they can look into this further for you - hope that's ok!

Regarding accommodation, you will be given the same priority as a first year overseas student. Therefore you will be guaranteed accommodation in either a College hall or Intercollegiate hall for at least one year of study, as long as you submit your application by 30th June. All full-time undergraduate students who are entering higher education in the UK for the first time on a programme of two or more years duration and whose home address is outside the M25 ring road are guaranteed an offer of one year in either a College, Intercollegiate or nominated residence.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Emma
Original post by Surflee
Hi Emma and the KCL Team,

I am an international student offered a conditional offer for Medicine for 2012. However, my results have fallen marginally short of the offer. I have made an online appeal to KCL and their reply is to wait until August before they can consider my case. I have always wanted to join KCL and am at a lost as to what to do since I have been given firm offers from other universities both in my home country and overseas.

I have received a package from KCL and wonders if I should sign up for the halls accommodation. Otherwise, if my appeal is successful, I may be left with no accommodation.

Secondly, when is the new term for Medicine at KCL starting and when should I report if my appeal is successful?

Thirdly, what is the latest date I can expect to hear from the Administration office regarding my appeal as I really really want to join KCL?

Lastly, is it really possible to speak to anyone at KCL about this appeal?

I would be most grateful if you can guide me on the above.

Thank you.

Surflee

Dear Surflee

Hello from King’s sorry to hear that you fell short of the necessary requirements. It’s a tricky one, because Medicine is one of our most popular courses, and so it’s no surprise that Admissions have asked you to wait until August. This is when we will know for sure how many people will have reached their offer conditions and therefore, how many will be coming onto the course, and whether we have spare places left over.

For you it’s probably a case of weighing up the risk involved with waiting for August to come around, against acting now. You may feel more secure if you go with one of your offers from another university there’s no guarantee at all that there will be places here in August, but then again, you might get lucky. And it’s very good that you were made an offer, considering that only 7.5% of all medicine students at King’s can be international students (this is a government-imposed quota) - so you are obviously a very capable student.

Another option would be to accept an offer from elsewhere and then if you are still set on King’s in August, and there are places here, you can ask your UK firm choice university to release you from your offer but this again is quite risky, as it is sometimes tricky to get this to happen quickly. It wouldn’t be so much of a risk to do this if you accepted an offer from an international university, but you would potentially lose a deposit with them if it was the case that you eventually came to King’s.

There’s really no hard and fast answer here so you will just have to think very carefully about what you do.

In answer to your other questions, our Registration Week is from 17th 21st September, with term starting on 24th September, although we normally hold sessions for international students during the week before this: we have a meet & greet team at London Heathrow on 10, 11 & 15 September 2012, but you have to book ahead to make use of this (this info should be in your offer-holder guide that you were sent).

In terms of accommodation, it is only possible to apply for this if you have firmly accepted King’s as your first choice on the UCAS system. However if you have not made the conditions of your offer, then it may not be possible to apply. See www.kcl.ac.uk/accomm for more information on this.

We hope this helps you in some way, and best of luck! :redface:

Chris
King’s College London
Reply 695
Thanks for the prompt reply Chris!

That was really informative and provided all the answers I need.

Lastly, I know that the Philosophy department in King's is very exclusive and a tight-knit small community. I heard only 80+ students are admitted a year. I was wondering if you could provide me more information; or better still if you could point me to any individual student-rep or support group for the Philosophy department at King's so I can ask questions pertaining to the courses I've been accepted to! It's a tough choice picking between the two seeing as they both boast only slight nuanced differences and have their own merits.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim! Congratulations on your offers TWO courses, that’s brilliant. They are both fantastic degrees!

In terms of accommodation, if your offer is for entry in 2013 then you would apply for halls in 2013, when the accommodation applications are open from around April that year.

You also have to make one of the offers you have now into a ‘firm’ choice on your UCAS account THIS year, to secure your place but there is no course deposit needed (sometimes there are for postgraduate programmes, but not undergraduate). It’s important to keep checking your King’s myApplication account as important messages will come through this portal.

We hope that helps, and congratulations again! See you next September!

Chris
King's College London
Original post by skay
Hi KCL,

I live within the M25 circle (zone 4) and know that my chances of getting King's residences is very slim. However, I heard that it is far more likely for a Londoner to get a place in an Intercollegiate Hall since they are more expensive than King's residences and therefore, are in less demand. Can you confirm that this is the case?

Thanks.

Hello skay!

Thank you for your message! I have just double checked this with Accommodation Services and I’m afraid this is incorrect. The Intercollegiate halls are actually quite popular and many students rank them as their first choice. Applicants with a home address inside the M25 ring road have a lower priority in terms of allocation of halls, and are not likely to be considered for accommodation until after the start of session, so it will very much depend on what is available at the time.

If you are keen live away from home you might want to consider looking into the private rented sector. For further details see http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/accom/kings/private/index.aspx.

Sorry this isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I do hope this helps.

All the best :wink:
Emma
Original post by Siennah
Hello,
I am just looking for a bit of advice really. I am currently on an access to nursing course as a mature student and have been applying for adult nursing degree via ucas for sept '12 intake.
Quite a while back I received an unsuccessful from you (KCL) but as of yesterday I had an email asking if I could come on for a selection day due to now having extra spaces I assume.
The problem is, where I am so far into course I am unsure I will be able to get the high amount of distinctions you require lol!
I don't want to waste anyone's time and take a selection day spot if I know I will not be able to fulfill any offer that may be offered unless of course it is not absolutely vital taking other factors on my application into consideration.
I would appreciate any feedback,

Hi Siennah!

Thank you for your message :smile:

There is usually very little flexibility with our offers, but it is largely dependent on whether the other offer holders achieve their offers, therefore there is a very slim chance you could still be accepted if you just miss your grade. If you are worried you will only just miss the grade then it is definitely still worth you attending the selection day.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Emma
Reply 698
Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the kind words and help in replying to my long list of questions.

Most grateful. I will pray hard and hope Admission Department will give me a chance to be study at KCL.

Surflee
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 699
whoa thanks for the quick response !

so there are three semesters for me: autumn, spring and summer. I take it i have to be in London during summer for my dissertation? When does the summer term end (couldnt find it on the KCL website...not that I mind staying in London tho :biggrin:)? Could you maybe give me the dates of each semester? thanks youuu !

Dear ruixie

Congratulations on your offer! We’ve spoken to the Lau China Institute who offer this programme, and have some figures for you regarding the contact hours.

There are 6 taught modules taught over 2 terms (of 10 weeks each), each having 20 contact hours. You will also have 6 hours dissertation supervision through the summer term (6 weeks), which makes a minimum of 126 hours of contact time over the 3 terms. You’ll also have meetings with personal tutors, and things like essay workshops so this will add to the contact time (depending on how often you meet, and how many workshops you go to!)

So, most of your contact time will be over the autumn and spring terms, anywhere upwards of 6 hours per week, plus the dissertation supervision over the summer of around 1 hour per week plus further personal tutor and workshop hours.

We hope that helps, and look forward to seeing you in September!! :biggrin:

Chris
King’s College London

Quick Reply

Latest