The Student Room Group

Anyone else excited about graduating?

I'm in year 3 now and the onset of March and my exam results has made graduation more real than ever, and while I'll miss my friends and learning what I do, I'll be so happy when uni is over. It's not been the easiest of times for me in terms of mental health, money and restricting me from doing things I enjoy which has affected the former and I'm ready to end this part of my life.

When I see people in the "you know you're a student when" thread saying how excited they are about the lifestyle it's nice but I can't relate to it any more. I benefit from structure in my life and a routine that is hard to fall out of when you're only in 6 hours a week. It's great ordering pizza at stupid o'clock but I feel like I've done more than enough of that, and still have 3 and a bit months left to do it.

I love the long holidays but the summers have been very irritating in job hunting, as most people don't want people who are going back to uni so I invariably ended up bored, and if I got a job I'd have to give it up by september. I also offered extra things like dog walking, and I felt bad when I had enquiries that I was back at uni. I'm sure a lot of people have had this kind of problem. And academically the learning has been very beneficial but I will also be glad to be able to learn and read whatever I want without the pressure.

Anyone else have thoughts like these?
Yes. At first I was actually rather apprehensive... I mean I used to get bored in the summer like you, and now it's summer for life. However, I've realised that being back with my family and being able to do what I want to do without having to think about lectures, problem sheets or exams is going to be a tremendous relief.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Before I know it I'll be driving around my kids to school before going to work to pay for the electricity.
Reply 2
Read the title as 'Gardening'... Sort of disappointed.

On topic:
I'm not at uni myself, but my sister graduated last Summer and was in pretty much the same position as you. Variety is the spice of life, I guess, but you might as well try and enjoy the remainder of your time as a student. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
It feels like a long way off at the moment.. I have about 3 months left and yet 44% of my degree to complete. I also have NO IDEA what I'm going to be doing this time next year. So no, I'm terrified and it's all happening too fast :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Rananagirl
Read the title as 'Gardening'... Sort of disappointed.

On topic:
I'm not at uni myself, but my sister graduated last Summer and was in pretty much the same position as you. Variety is the spice of life, I guess, but you might as well try and enjoy the remainder of your time as a student. :h:

I do enjoy watering my dahlias but I'm sorry to disappoint :tongue:

I'm also thrilled that I dont need to worry about housemates or a house and the dreaded student loan. :sigh:
Reply 5
I've been thinking about this recently too. Got 3 months to go. I'm sorta excited but depressed about it at the same time.

I'm very excited about the day I finish. Can't wait to return home and enjoy "home" for a bit. On the other hand I will miss one or two people very much :frown:

I will be studying a masters next year, so I'm looking forward to a different setting and atmosphere.

On the whole I've enjoyed my time at university. I've made some friends for life and a great collection of memories. I've learnt a heck of a lot and matured immensely.

But I guess all good things have to come to an end..
I'm definitely looking forward to it. In some ways, I wish I could have graduated at Christmas. I was happy with my grades and had been enjoying my modules but I now feel that the pressure has taken on a new level and I just want to be DONE!
That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed my time at uni - I've made some amazing friends, done all the stereotypical 'student-y' things and genuinely liked my degree, but the time has come to move on and I'm really excited about what the next phase of my life will bring (...hopefully employment in some shape or form :biggrin:)

Quick Reply

Latest