The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laceheart
Hi everyone, this is the first year I have applied to do my Primary PGCE. I had an interview at a university in January but was unsuccessful. I think their decision was unfair for a number of reasons but what's done is done... so I waited on my next choice but I never received a decision. When I checked GTTR all vacancies for the course had been filled. Since GTTR only allows you to select two primary courses my only next option is clearing. Has anybody been through/had any luck with clearing? I heard the government is changing a lot of things next year, for example only applicants with A-B GCSEs in Maths and English Language can apply to do a PGCE (A in English, C in Maths) so not sure whether I can apply again :frown:

Seems unlikely because A-C is a pass, but even so, there are always other routes. There are still vacancies in some unis, have you tried having a look for some of them? Its only 2 options when you first apply, you are allowed to make more applications now that you've finished with your first 2 choices! I strongly suggest if you really want this to look at more places! And have you tried schools direct? They might still have some places! Its not over until you say its over!! You're always going to think that their decision is unfair, and maybe it is, I know I have thought that too. Maybe you are good, but you're just not exactly what THEY are looking for! but try and look at it as an experience that you can learn from :smile: Good luck and keep going!
Original post by raheebhagani
I have recently created a group for PGCE students starting in sept at Greenwich University.

The title is: Greenwich Uni: PGCE Primary 2013-2014

The link should be: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361124910672547

Please join

xxx

It's a bit harsh and tactless to post that in here when people here have clearly been 'unsuccessful' as it says in the title.

Next time please refrain from rubbing the fact that you have a place and I don't in my face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by Jellybean91
Seems unlikely because A-C is a pass, but even so, there are always other routes. There are still vacancies in some unis, have you tried having a look for some of them? Its only 2 options when you first apply, you are allowed to make more applications now that you've finished with your first 2 choices! I strongly suggest if you really want this to look at more places! And have you tried schools direct? They might still have some places! Its not over until you say its over!! You're always going to think that their decision is unfair, and maybe it is, I know I have thought that too. Maybe you are good, but you're just not exactly what THEY are looking for! but try and look at it as an experience that you can learn from :smile: Good luck and keep going!

I had a look on GTTR and I have applied for a SCITT course, I know the interview process is a little more daunting than a university interview but at least I will be more prepared and know what to expect. If unsuccessful I have a few other unis I would like to apply to, but it will only let me do one at a time. Thanks for your help :-)
Reply 103
If you haven't got onto a course then keep your chin up and keep going!

I was unsuccessful at my interview at Reading University 3-7 route this year and really panicked as that interview was in May and I didn't think there would be many places left on other courses BUT I applied to Brighton uni as soon as I found out and have now got a place on a 5-9 route (something I didn't know was available and I much prefer it!) The Reading university interview was quite formal and in my opinion they were looking for applicants that are really really academic where as at Brighton they wanted to see if you were the right sort of person to go into teaching and a lot of the 1:1 interview was to do with your personal attributes and reflecting on your experiences working in a school.

So all I'll say is, prepare like mad for your interview day and don't worry if you get rejected as they might not be the best uni for you and something better will be waiting around the corner!

Oh and most importantly don't ever feel you're not good enough as if you don't believe in your ability they certainly won't, brush yourself off, hold your head high and go and win them over!! Good luck future teachers :smile:
Reply 104
Hi Everyone,

I'm conducting research into graduate experiences and expectations of the recruitment & selection process as part of my thesis and really, really need graduates to take part. It's a chance to air your views, it won't take more than 5-10 mins and there is the chance to win £30 Amazon Vouchers.

If you do have a few mins spare please click on the survey link to take part, it would be a HUGE help:
https://cityss.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_dnbMTeM5EfSGftz
Reply 105
I think personality and curriculum subject knowledge is a big factor for getting onto a course. I didn't have the best degree class but due to vast experience teaching abroad I was able to secure a place.
Another thing is primary places are v. competitive, but I'm doing secondary.
Good luck and don't give up. Anyone worried about age...don't. ..I'm 27 and one of the youngest on my course!
If you really want to teach then keep trying, maybe try for a TA job in the meantime - though that depends where you live if that's possible. Primary and PE are notoriously hard to get on - but I'm sure no course is easy to get on. It is a much better application system this year which should help you get on a course more easily (because you won't have the "all our places are almost filled" told to you for your second choice. And try to learn from any interviews you get - many courses reject you for the tiniest of reasons based on a few minutes of talking to you and sometimes not understanding the real you from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Hi Agentj87. I saw you got into Cardiff Met to do primary last year and I have just been told I have an interview there in the new year. Any tips? What was the assessment day like?
I've been rejected for the third time now at several different universities. I'm 23 and am seriously worried about age, after reading hundreds of posts I feel a bit better but still no nearer to securing a place. The biggest problem is I can't really apply anywhere else because of financial issues and as Nottingham Trent is one of the hardest to get into I feel I am pretty much screwed! Does anyone else feel that it's always the loud, in your face, know-it-all types that seem to get in? From my experience it is always these kind of people! Starting to feel that because I'm not a total bitch trying to compete with anyone that I'm at a disadvantage.

If anyone has any advice/tips they good give me it would be very much appreciated!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pandasocks
I've been rejected for the third time now at several different universities. I'm 23 and am seriously worried about age, after reading hundreds of posts I feel a bit better but still no nearer to securing a place. The biggest problem is I can't really apply anywhere else because of financial issues and as Nottingham Trent is one of the hardest to get into I feel I am pretty much screwed! Does anyone else feel that it's always the loud, in your face, know-it-all types that seem to get in? From my experience it is always these kind of people! Starting to feel that because I'm not a total bitch trying to compete with anyone that I'm at a disadvantage.

If anyone has any advice/tips they good give me it would be very much appreciated!

Why would you be bothered about age? It wouldn't have any bearing on your applying for a PGCE.

Lots of people go in as a career change in their 30s, 40s and even 50s. What stage did you get to? What experience do you have?
Reply 111

What about Derby uni? I did my pgce there, I was 30 when I qualified and I'm now in my first teaching post.
Anyone using Apply 2 for Teacher Training?

If so, how are you finding it? Have you heard anything?

My choice for Apply 2 was sent 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I know they say to wait 40 days but I am surprised not to hear anything so far.

Any feedback would be great

Thank you!
Reply 113
> Unsuccessful PGCE applicants :frown: what will you do now?

I guess "start punching the people in the I got an offer thread" isn't an appropriate answer.:evil:

Original post by gavinevens1
Anyone using Apply 2 for Teacher Training?

My choice for Apply 2 was sent 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. I know they say to wait 40 days but I am surprised not to hear anything so far.

Any feedback would be great

Thank you!

This is getting on my nipple also. I deliberately withdrew from my remaining apply 1 choice that wasn't responding to me so I could apply in apply 2 with another provider who i had been in contact with and I thought was about to short list. Since then of course I haven't heard a thing. Seriously thinking I must be cursed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by crock
> Unsuccessful PGCE applicants :frown: what will you do now?

I guess "start punching the people in the I got an offer thread" isn't an appropriate answer.

This is getting on my nipple also. I deliberately withdrew from my remaining apply 1 choice that wasn't responding to me so I could apply in apply 2 with another provider who i had been in contact with and I thought was about to short list. Since then of course I haven't heard a thing. Seriously thinking I must be cursed.

Sort of similar with me in terms of contact with the provider. Cardiff initially told me in apply 1 that I didn't have enough classroom experience (although as part of my role I work in primary schools, but I accepted it) and said if I arrange a placement for 2 weeks, as long as there are still vacancies to apply again. So when I did through apply 2 I sent an email with it to say I have got a placement (which I am halfway through) and they replied to say thank you and they would attach it to my application. 15 days still nothing! Ahhhhh! Though I did hear they are still interviewing there but I am so impatient about it.
I was unsuccessful the other day. My letter says "The reason is given below: Your application has been unsuccessful". Hoping I can get some real feedback from the university. I feel mega bitter about it. The last 5 years of my life have been leading up to this effectively. I'm going to guess I was let down largely by being nervous. Give me a few days with a class and the nerves go, as I found out on my work experience placement!
I'm still waiting for word from my Apply 2 choice. Meanwhile I got feedback from my last interview there. My application was ok and they said it was clear why I wanted to teach and why I wanted to teach my subject, but they thought I would benefit from more experience in a school. The last bit confuses me since I observed in a school at the end of the last school year and have been working full time in a school as a TA :/
Original post by starryeyedkid
I'm still waiting for word from my Apply 2 choice. Meanwhile I got feedback from my last interview there. My application was ok and they said it was clear why I wanted to teach and why I wanted to teach my subject, but they thought I would benefit from more experience in a school. The last bit confuses me since I observed in a school at the end of the last school year and have been working full time in a school as a TA :/

I am simply flabbergasted by this kind of feedback. Meanwhile, people with far less experience in schools get places on courses all the time. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense really because from what you just said it sounded like you made an otherwise positive impression.
Reply 118
I am currently applying through Apply 2, having been unsuccessful in Apply 1. One thing which annoyed me with university PGCE was their inflexiablity. The interview letter basically told me if I didn't take the date offered I would have zero chance. My work is currently setting up a new project, so getting time off is a bit of a nightmare. Most people I know would find it very hard to take a day off with only a week's notice.

The interviews seemed rushed (I swear my interview for summer cafe job when I was 16 seemed longer.) It did really feel like a numbers game. I appreciate I don't have the experience some other candidates have, or a 1st class degree and as a result will appear less desirable. My SCITT interview seemed less rushed and less of a numbers game. Personally, I felt they actually wanted to get to know you as the person as well as the person with all the right answers etc (which is obviously important as well).

I am hoping, if I beg, my boss will let me take an afternoon off every week/fornight in order to get more experience (just have to get to work super early :tongue:). I cannot afford to work as a TA in London, alongside studying part time. People I spoke to who were working as TAs either their partner was supporting them, or their parents. As I am single (sigh) and my parents live 300 miles away in the middle of nowhere, that doesn't really help. However, I am hoping an afternoon every week/fornight from now until November will make a difference.

As it appears I won't get in this time (I really don't think I stand much of a chance in Apply 2), I'll be applying next year but to SCITTs. I'm not bitter, I realise I need to improve my application I.e. get more experience. However, I just felt SCITTs appeared to be more geared up to the career changer than PGCEs. At 30, I was definatly one of the oldest, if not the oldest at my two PGCE interviews.
Nonsense - age is EVERYTHING - At 39 I was told by READING at interview 'you're not exactly the right age for this are you?' There followed many other rejections...and several friends of the same age have simply given up. I have a degree and an MA and 5 years school experience - plus 2 years of good A Level results as an unqualified - AND - the GTP ended because universities were rejecting older people (I quote the TDA).

Latest

Trending

Trending