The Student Room Group

Help me rank these schools!

I'm a Norwegian student and I need your help! I want to do an Msc in International business. How would you rank these schools?

Kingston University
Oxford Brookes
Kent University
Edinburgh Napier
Reply 1
Original post by Lizzi89
I'm a Norwegian student and I need your help! I want to do an Msc in International business. How would you rank these schools?

Kingston University
Oxford Brookes
Kent University
Edinburgh Napier

If these are the unis - you're probably better off staying in Norway.
Reply 2
I worked for the UK Government Economic Service, and one of my colleagues studied MSc Economics at the University of Kent - she really enjoyed the course and the Uni - but that was econ and not business.

My advice would be to email the Universities and ask for statistics on the work placements of previous students. That should give you a good feel of what students from the unis/courses go on to do - and be better than any ranking.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
If you have the equivalent of a 2.1 then I would highly suggest you look elsewhere...
Reply 4
Original post by _Student_
If you have the equivalent of a 2.1 then I would highly suggest you look elsewhere...

If I can add to that, even with the equivalent of a 2:2 you can get in better universities. I even know a guy with a 3rd (40%-50%, one level above fail) who did a masters degree at a similar uni to those listed. Don't undersell yourself.
If you are really set on these four, go to the city you like best.
Reply 5
Are these schools really that bad? Its just that Msc in Intenational business is only offered at two universities here in Norway, so I expected that the quality at these schools would be better.

I have an C as an average, and 3.2GPA from an exchange year in USA.

I also have an conditional offer from Newcastle, but I'm not sure If I can reach the requirement of an B grade average. Is Newcastle better than these other schools then?
Reply 6
Original post by Lizzi89
Are these schools really that bad? Its just that Msc in Intenational business is only offered at two universities here in Norway, so I expected that the quality at these schools would be better.

I have an C as an average, and 3.2GPA from an exchange year in USA.

I also have an conditional offer from Newcastle, but I'm not sure If I can reach the requirement of an B grade average. Is Newcastle better than these other schools then?

Hell yes.
Reply 7
Original post by Qi Jia
Hell yes.

Seconded.
The 'international' in 'International Business' I assume is pretty misleading. I don't see how it is any different to just 'Management' or 'Business'. If anything, it probably only has one more internationally focused module than your typical business MSc, so if I were you I would broaden your search and also apply for standard Management courses.

Also have a look at Royal Holloway. I believe they accept 2:2 applications for their MSc in Management (they might even do 'International Management' if I recall correctly).
Reply 9
If you look at the guardians ranking of business and management studies, oxford is at 34th and royal holloway is at 60th.. is this ranking very incorrect??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-business-management-studies
Reply 10
Original post by Lizzi89
If you look at the guardians ranking of business and management studies, oxford is at 34th and royal holloway is at 60th.. is this ranking very incorrect??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-business-management-studies

Oxford? You mean Oxford Brooks, right? Oxford Business School is one of the most prestigious in the world...

just pick the one withthe city you like best... they are all the same standards.
Reply 11
Original post by Lizzi89

:smile: Oxford Oxford Brookes

None the less. I am also hoping to study in England and I can assume that you are also doing it because you want the experience and to have fun :smile: Don't let everybody get you down about your choices!
Om Norge är som Sverige känner de flesta ändå inte till några andra engelska skolor utom Oxford och Cambridge :smile: om du ska jobba i Norge sedan tror jag inte att rankingen spelar någon roll, välj den du känner mest för :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by rsq
:smile: Oxford Oxford Brookes

None the less. I am also hoping to study in England and I can assume that you are also doing it because you want the experience and to have fun :smile: Don't let everybody get you down about your choices!
Om Norge är som Sverige känner de flesta ändå inte till några andra engelska skolor utom Oxford och Cambridge :smile: om du ska jobba i Norge sedan tror jag inte att rankingen spelar någon roll, välj den du känner mest för :smile:

I meant Oxford Brookes, I know the difference! :smile:

Cool :smile: Where do u want to study? Yeah, last year I did an exchange year in New Jersey, USA. And now I'm hooked, want to go abroad again, but closer to home:smile:

Sant det! Utenlandserfaring er alltid pluss uansett :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending