Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

TA pay and training questions?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So after a long consideration of joining the TA whilst doing my degree, and hoping to join as an officer, I have a few more questions for those in the know before I head into the careers office for the second time to ask a few more specific questions...

Firstly, the pay rates (I dont want to ask this at the careers office, as I dont want to be "that guy", although I do need to know this as I will have to give up my weekend job that I have at the moment) quoted for an Officer Cadet are £39.90, and a Second Lieutenant is £62.07. Now from what I have heard, in the TA I would go on a training op every other week, and also give a week night up.
    ^Those rates of pay are obviously per full day, so I am curious as to how much you get paid for that week night?

Also, with regards to the training, as far as the information I have been given, I can do the training across weekend, but then will be required to attend a 10 day course at sandhurst? (is this correct ~ thats the only straight "stint" of days?)

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a week night is 1/4 of a days pay. But don't rely on getting it straight away, it can take months for the admin side of it to kick in and you start finally getting paid.

dunno about the officer side of life, officer roles are more admin and paper work than playing in the mud, personally unless you aspire to join the regulars, even if you do, you might get more out of being a tom. Obviously go with what you want, but just keep being ranker in the back of your head, personally the great thing about the reserves is the ability to escape the usual grind by sitting in a muddy hole on dartmoor and getting soaked, officers still do this ... but then when they get back they have to go through paper work and get random mid week calls off of the SQMS because someone left a tent peg behind and now the officers getting billed for it because he signed for it.

sorry I'm rambling..

There may be some some week stints training wise, with a 2 week camp once a year.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get paid a full days pay - for a day of 8 hours or more- a half days pay for between four and eight hours, and a quarter days pay - normally for a weekday evening training.

You need to go and talk through with the unit you are looking to join what the basic training requirments are if you join as a soldier and if you join as a potential officer- and what the various routes are to become an officer.

The final module of the TA commisioning coourse is a 3 week course at Sandhurst. However there are several courses to do before you get to Sandhurst. The time commitment to complete TA officer training is quite significant.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 11, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.