The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
HAHAHAHA oh my you're hilarious.........................................I have a feeling I was asking a rhetorical question there but guess not!
Original post by Dorito
It is not in the same league as Sherlock. Which is odd, as Moffat writes for both shows.

Yes, but Sherlock is already an existing thing, all Moffat is doing is taking the books and putting them on the screen. Doctor Who requires a lot more original thought from Moffat, which is probably why it's not as good.
Original post by GunnerBill
Dr Who has always supposed to be "cheesey". You should check out some of the older episode with Tom Baker in as the Dr! :rofl:

The dressing is "eccentric" but some of the stuff in the 1970s is really very gothic, even by today's standards, Talons of Weng-Chiang is an excellent example.

And it was produced on a BBC drama budget in a 5-camera videotape studio, maybe cheesy by today's standards, but not so at the time.
Original post by animalnitrate
I can't even stress how much better the classic series is compared to the crap they churn out today, and it's completely due to the writing. Eccleston, Smith and particularly Tennant are all brilliant actors, unfortunately Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat couldn't write more than one decent story per season if their lives depended on it.

It definitely is a show that is primarily aimed at children, it always has been, but the biggest difference between the stories from the 60s/70s/80s and the stories of today, is that back then it was literally just a man in a box travelling around with his friends just for the hell of it - now he's an egotistical God-like creature who uses the fact that people are scared of him to his advantage. The personality of the Doctor changes with each regeneration but they've taken this concept too far and he's completely unrecognisible as the man he was many years ago.

Most of the classic series, there were quite a few series of the classic series that were nothing but crap writing. Particularly the 1980s.
Original post by ritchie888
Completely agree with you. I think people that watched the original (which I never watched) are somewhat forced to like it.

I've watched two episodes, one with a giant bee, the other was the Christmas special on the space Titanic. Easily some of the worst television I've ever watched. Never again.

I've watched the original series and I despise with a passion the new series.
Reply 65
Original post by AidanLunn
The dressing is "eccentric" but some of the stuff in the 1970s is really very gothic, even by today's standards, Talons of Weng-Chiang is an excellent example.

And it was produced on a BBC drama budget in a 5-camera videotape studio, maybe cheesy by today's standards, but not so at the time.

Baker was/IS my favourite Doctor, as you say eccentric in appearance but he could sometimes be very dark.

I don't recall the story you mention but I've got the Pyramids of Mars on DVD and the story stands up well.

I've watched the original series and I despise with a passion the new series.

What we have to consider is that the audience has changed and wouldn't stand for the kind of Dr Who's we may have liked in the past. I suppose we should be thankful the franchise continues.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the best things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 13 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look high budget? Is the acting over the bottom on purpose? Am I loving some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

Whats the problem?
Original post by SweetsAndSugar
I thought I was the only one. Although I'm not a sci fi fan in general, I can usually appreciate why a tv series or film is liked by many even if it's not typically 'my thing', but with Doctor Who, I feel completely lost as to why it is so popular and respected.
I completely agree with everything you've said OP. I have tried asking my brother to explain what he finds so interesting about it, and he just said "I can't really explain it". :confused:
David Tennant's acting style is similar to Daniel Radcliffe's. He has limited facial expressions imo.
I know 'each to their own' and that, but I really want to understand what I'm missing...

It's a science fiction show like no other, with an alien who can repeatedly renew himself and change personalities, with a time/space travel machine in the same ilk of the wardrobe in "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe", i.e. you enter a small box which is bigger on the outside and when you exit, you're in a totally different place and time.

To put it simply, it has more elements of British drama in it than the cheesier sci-fi of the US.

Specifically I'm referring to the original series, not that new piece of shyte that happens to call itself "Doctor Who"
Doctor Who is a bit like McDonalds food. Loads of people love it, though probably every one of them would be happy to admit that it is very low quality. Junk food for the soul :smile:
Original post by mau5
Nothing, it's awful. Everyone should just watch Fringe instead, not only the hand downs the best sci fi show around but Breaking Bad is probably the only show to have bettered it recently.

You seem to state your opinion as if it were a fact or as if your opinion is more important than anyone else's.
Original post by doloroushazy
I agree! It's the same with Harry Potter, it has its place and it's good for kids etc but I don't understand when people over like age 13 are obsessed with it and act as if it's their entire life or something.. ah well

Because it's not a children's show. It used to be scheduled against Coronation Street once upon a time, hardly a children's TV slot.

Children's TV series don't happen to deal with genocide or lesbianism or racism.

Unless it's Grange Hill :biggrin:

And it's not produced by the BBC Children's Department, so that puts the tin hat on it.
Reply 71
David!.jpg

I just like looking at this guy... Lovely :biggrin: :colondollar: :love:

Shame about Matt Smith taking over really!
Reply 72
You seem to state your opinion as if it were a fact or as if your opinion is more important than anyone else's.

Well nobody disagreed chump.
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

I do agree in places. I think it really depends upon your age. For example in 2005 when it came back with Christopher Eccleston and then David Tennant, I was about 11/12 at the time, and can remember liking it. It was when I was 14/15 I lost interest and didn't watch it. I think it's generally more of a show aimed at families with kids, where everyone can sit down and watch it and it's just good fun... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you're in your teens and you like it, whatever.

But, yeah I had a look at the Christmas special last year (I have watched the odd one of those over the years) and that was all right, but apart from that, I've not watched it in a few years. I do agree that it's just plain bad and quite weak at times. But that's probably because I'm now 18 and I don't always bum Matt Smith or Karen Gillan, whenever they come up in conversation.
Original post by ch0llima
not about some washed-up pop music bimbo or a gobby unfunny 'comedienne' who is constantly screaming for help and needing rescued from absurd situations of her own making like a "damsel in distress".

That's what most of the classic series was about. Only Ace was a true representative of women's liberty, although many female companions showed promise, they were all eventually relegated to "scream at the first inclination of fear" female companions.

not endless Daleks and hanging off well known London landmarks facing certain death

The Daleks had no less than 5 Dalek adventures within 4 years of each other in the 60s and another 4 in the same time frame in the early 70s.

Just done my research, between December 1964 and December 1965, the Daleks had appeared in 3 stories, 24 individual episodes in total.

It was cringeworthy, oorly written ham acted nonsense

You clearly haven't watched the Colin Baker era.

The acting is also mostly terrible.

Three words: Sylvester McCoy angry

It's turned into light-hearted family comedy which, again, isn't what Doctor Who was ever designed to be... Procrustean television if ever I saw it :colonhash:

Doctor Who was light-hearted in the late 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqHJpGmLp0

Sorry, but I'm somewhat of a Doctor Who purist. Even the Sylvester McCoy run from the late 1980s (mostly considered to be awful by hardcore fans) is more engaging and believable than some of the truly appalling scripts that are being packaged in the current run.

Many hardcore fans acknowledge that most of the McCoy run is good - just his first series and thus first impressions of him let his run down, quite significantly in fact.
Reply 75
In concept, and indeed in many of the episodes, it is an good show. However, the writers seem to be seriously struggling to come up with good ideas.
They seem to be recycling old and tired plot-arcs, one-upping themselves each time and including an annoying amount of sappy filler.

How many times has "the whole universe(s)"/"all of space of time" been saved from the Daleks/someone else of that ilk now? Each time pulling the solution more or less out of a hat without any real substance to it.

I'm also not a fan of the newer Doctors rather clichéd, over the top and repetitive style. You'd think someone who's ~900 years old would be a bit less hopelessly hyperactive.

We need more Eccleston, Planet of the Ood, and Weeping Angels, and less cheesiness, sappy writing, and using the "I'm the Doctor" or other equally vapid sound-bites as a valid line of reasoning.
That's what most of the classic series was about. Only Ace was a true representative of women's liberty, although many female companions showed promise, they were all eventually relegated to "scream at the first inclination of fear" female companions.

I think Leela could also fall into this category
Most of the classic series, there were quite a few series of the classic series that were nothing but crap writing. Particularly the 1980s.

It definitely did go downhill during the Colin Baker/McCoy era but at least it was always good fun, which can't always be said for the new series

I agree, Talons is one of the best Baker stories I have ever seen.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I enjoyed the series while Christopher Ecclestone and David Tennant was in it but started giving up after a while because it just got progressively worse. The new series with Matt Smith is ridiculous so I never bothered with it.

This. During S5 if I'd said that I got rage neg'd so I'm glad people agree with me now.

Quick Reply

Latest