The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
it's a childrens' adventure show, don't expect it to be as high brow as sherlock. people like it because it's light-hearted, exciting and feel-good. also:

:sexface:
Hmmm the thing about Doctor Who is you can't take it too seriously. I think some of the appeal is its meant to be ridiculous. But in a good way.I also agree that some episodes are diabolical, Love and monsters for instance.I still don't know what the hell happened in that episode. :lolwut: But equally there are also some episodes which are hilarious/creppy as heck/ have brilliant acting/ are generally awesome. I reccommend Blink :biggrin:

Also:

Attachment not found
Original post by Lumos
it's a childrens' adventure show, don't expect it to be as high brow as sherlock. people like it because it's light-hearted, exciting and feel-good. also:

He is stupidly handsome...
Ive always felt that they should combine dr who with james bond.
Now that would be cool.
Original post by Chucklefiend
I can see this is going to digress into a yet another debate about the subjectivity/objectivity of the intrinsic value of programming if we are not careful, but please do elaborate. How exactly are these shows "better" than Dr Who?

To summarize you're claiming that: 'Dancing on ice' a show in which Z list celebrities faff about on some ice; 'X Factor' a programme in which a group of talentless individuals are eventually whittled down until we're left with some vaguely in tune generic pop 'artist'; 'Take me out' a show based exclusively on the superficiality and shallowness of its moronic contestants. And 'Total Wipeout' the concept of which sees people repeatedly falling off of things into some water, are all better than Dr Who? A Bafta award winning programme listed in the Guinness World Records as the "most successful" science fiction series of all time and the longest-running science fiction television show in the world. On what conceivable objective measure of "better" are you basing this absurd assertion?

X Factor is a worldwide show, with hundreds of awards and tenfold the viewers of Doctor Who. Is that a good enough basis? I'd much prefer the X Factor to the reign of Moffat & Smith, however not Davies & Tennant.
Original post by Dorito
Seriously, it is one of the worst things I think I have ever seen.

I think I have seen 3 full episodes and each one was worst than the last. The acting is so over the top and good actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith seem to crumble and turn into blithering idiots, reeling off cliche after cliche. Granted, they can't be blamed for this, the script is weak. The special effects are laughable and the storylines are severely lacking as well as highly predictable.

I initially overlooked this and admittedly could see how children may enjoy it but I come on here and I see people raving about how good it is and my housemates are the same, they all claim it is brilliant. Doctor Who is an icon of British TV but that is no excuse for the terrible episodes being churned out nowadays. There was not a single thing I enjoy about the show and I find myself cringing in places because the dialogue is so poor. Three episodes is enough for me, I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on it.

There are plenty of bad TV shows out there but usually I can see their appeal, this is not the case for Doctor Who.

Maybe I'm missing something, is it supposed to look low budget? Is the acting over the top on purpose? Am I missing some huge inside joke? Help me out guys!

Watch these episodes and then see if you want to change your mind:
Blink
The girl in the fireplace
Forest of the dead
Silence in the library
The empty child
The doctor dances.

Another good episode is gridlock, although i don't think it is quite as good as those episodes.
Original post by Chucklefiend
I can see this is going to digress into a yet another debate about the subjectivity/objectivity of the intrinsic value of programming if we are not careful, but please do elaborate. How exactly are these shows "better" than Dr Who?

To summarize you're claiming that: 'Dancing on ice' a show in which Z list celebrities faff about on some ice; 'X Factor' a programme in which a group of talentless individuals are eventually whittled down until we're left with some vaguely in tune generic pop 'artist'; 'Take me out' a show based exclusively on the superficiality and shallowness of its moronic contestants. And 'Total Wipeout' the concept of which sees people repeatedly falling off of things into some water, are all better than Dr Who? A Bafta award winning programme listed in the Guinness World Records as the "most successful" science fiction series of all time and the longest-running science fiction television show in the world. On what conceivable objective measure of "better" are you basing this absurd assertion?

The fact that he/she doesn't like it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
The two shows bear so little resemblance that any comparison is pointless.
Reply 88
Original post by Lumos

Ah, my first love...:love:
Original post by GunnerBill
Baker was/IS my favourite Doctor, as you say eccentric in appearance but he could sometimes be very dark.

I don't recall the story you mention but I've got the Pyramids of Mars on DVD and the story stands up well.

The one with Giant rats and a mythical Chinese God in the sewers of Victorian London
Original post by mau5
Well nobody disagreed chump.

Because your post was so ridiculous and unreasonable that most people wouldn't even bother agreeing with it.
Original post by animalnitrate
I think Leela could also fall into this category

She was often found screaming for help later in her run.

Though she was an OTT example of women's lib - throwing poisonous thorns and knives would embarrass any feminist!

Whereas for Ace - smashing Daleks up with a cricket bat and then preparing to fire an anti tank rocket when cornered by them is much more like it! :biggrin:
Original post by animalnitrate
It definitely did go downhill during the Colin Baker/McCoy era but at least it was always good fun, which can't always be said for the new series

And then it picked up again during McCoy's run.

Remembrance of the Daleks and The Curse of Fenric are just as good as the best 70s stories.
Reply 93
I used to like Doctor Who but the last series was terrible, imho
Original post by GunnerBill
Dr Who has always supposed to be "cheesey". You should check out some of the older episode with Tom Baker in as the Dr! :rofl:

Although I tend to agree with some of what you have said as with the increased budget of the effects & production you might expect the acting to have been taken more seriously.

Still brilliant though.

oh well, if it is intentional its okay
Reply 95
Original post by AidanLunn
Because your post was so ridiculous and unreasonable that most people wouldn't even bother agreeing with it.

Doctor who = Bad
Fringe = Good

Hardly a groundbreaking claim son. Honestly I'm sure the standard of TSR users falls by the day.
Reply 96
How can anyone not? :O
Reply 97
Doctor who till i die!!!!!!
Reply 98
Original post by mau5
Doctor who = Bad
Fringe = Good

Hardly a groundbreaking claim son. Honestly I'm sure the standard of TSR users falls by the day.

Everything I've seen of Fringe makes me doubt your second claim.
At least Doctor Who doesn't pretend to be scientific.
Reply 99
its amazing

Quick Reply

Latest