The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpiggyTopes
I couldn't agree more. It's not really my kind of show but I used to watch it because it was very well written and the acting was quite good. I stopped watching it when Russell left and Matt joined, he's so creepy!

Agreed
Completely disagree. RTD turned the show into a sci-fi eastenders. Doctor and Rose, will they or won't they? Its was a little pathetic. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the episodes, they were ok, I just feel Matt Smith is a far better Doctor.

Also, any excuse to pull this out again.
Original post by Guru Jason
Completely disagree. RTD turned the show into a sci-fi eastenders. Doctor and Rose, will they or won't they? Its was a little pathetic. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the episodes, they were ok, I just feel Matt Smith is a far better Doctor.

Also, any excuse to pull this out again.

I don't see what you're getting at? Your point is very ambiguous and has no backing. Please elaborate.
Original post by Miracle Day
I don't see what you're getting at? Your point is very ambiguous and has no backing. Please elaborate.

Ok, the Doctor liked Rose and fancied him back. They are different species. To a time lord like the Doctor, human are pets, like dogs are. RTD forgot this alot. Only when he realised that he couldn't put them together then he came up with possible in my opinion the worst storyline of creating a human Doctor.

Once Rose was trapped in the other universe, she should have been left there... with no way back otherwise its undoing its own 'laws of physics' if you understand my meaning. It broke all the explanations that were written in just so they could end up together. Talk about Deus ex machina. At least the Doctor/River Song storyline is more plausable.
Ok, the Doctor liked Rose and fancied him back. They are different species. To a time lord like the Doctor, human are pets, like dogs are. RTD forgot this alot. Only when he realised that he couldn't put them together then he came up with possible in my opinion the worst storyline of creating a human Doctor.

Once Rose was trapped in the other universe, she should have been left there... with no way back otherwise its undoing its own 'laws of physics' if you understand my meaning. It broke all the explanations that were written in just so they could end up together. Talk about Deus ex machina. At least the Doctor/River Song storyline is more plausable.

To be honest I never thought the Doctor-Rose crush storyline was prominent at all. It had very little affect on the storyline and I don't even know why you've refered to it as an issue? :s-smilie:
I completely agree with you. The first time when I really started to think "what the hell is going on?" is the episode (one of the first with Amy) with multicoloured Daleks and spitfires in space in bubbles of air. I have seen almost even episode twice but could not bring my self to finish that one.

Also RTD had brilliant twists at the end of his series, the last series from SM I knew that he was going to be in the tesselector (or however it's spelled) from the moment it was in that episode. It's was completely unimaginative and down right stupid. "Oh no they killed the doctor! Wait! It wasn't the Doctor, it was the Doctor in a suit!" Urh. This is the last chance I give it too. It's just getting silly.
To be honest I never thought the Doctor-Rose crush storyline was prominent at all. It had very little affect on the storyline and I don't even know why you've refered to it as an issue? :s-smilie:

Its was pushed in our faces all the time when she was in it, (ok maybe not every episode), but it was there. Even after she was left in the universe, she continued to have a major impact on the show, (like in the early martha jones epidodes.) Ok I understand he had lost a friend, but the storyline kept dragging it back up. Then there was the final episodes of Donna series when she came back. How does that work. 'Trapped for ever in another universe'... except when she pops back every so often.

In Moffat's series we havn't seen rose once and to be honest I'm glad. All the good episodes in the RTD series were written by Moffat, for example, Blink and the silence in the library 2 parter.

Again, some things about RTD writing I did like. I think that Ecclestone was the best doctor we've had since the show returned and most of those episodes were by RTD. Maybe my grip is with tennant or maybe rose or just the combination of the two. All I know it that it always got on my wick.

Although I see your point, I disagree with the points in bold. Humans arn't pets or seen as pets. In the end of time the doctor told wilf he though humans looked like giants to him. And having a relationship with your best friends baby who was trained to kill you and is older that your friends is more plausable? Please.

To the OP, I can see your point too. The first four series were connected and seem to be going somewhere. Now it is all over the place and spends half the show explaining situations made far to complex just to seem clever. Some episodes are good and I felt series 6 was better than 5 but I guess change must happen.
Its was pushed in our faces all the time when she was in it, (ok maybe not every episode), but it was there. Even after she was left in the universe, she continued to have a major impact on the show, (like in the early martha jones epidodes.) Ok I understand he had lost a friend, but the storyline kept dragging it back up. Then there was the final episodes of Donna series when she came back. How does that work. 'Trapped for ever in another universe'... except when she pops back every so often.

In Moffat's series we havn't seen rose once and to be honest I'm glad. All the good episodes in the RTD series were written by Moffat, for example, Blink and the silence in the library 2 parter.

Again, some things about RTD writing I did like. I think that Ecclestone was the best doctor we've had since the show returned and most of those episodes were by RTD. Maybe my grip is with tennant or maybe rose or just the combination of the two. All I know it that it always got on my wick.

Actually it was barely ever mentioned. The cracks of the universe were fading or something because Universes were getting destroyed, if it's fiction it
it's plausible.

Oh what! It's much more realistic to dwell on the loss of a friend for a few episodes than to totally forget her.

And Silence in the library was awful.
Reply 129
I don't think it is as good, but I still enjoy it. It's better than most other Saturday night TV shows.
Reply 130
One of the things that really bothered me was how they keep trying to up the stakes each time they do a finale, so it's the fate of the world at stake, then it's the fate of the universe, then it's the end of time. I felt like when they brought Amy in they could have started off a bit smaller and built up to an epic finale. Sometimes it's enough just to have the lives of a few dozen characters at stake, so long as they've made us care about them enough.

Also, I agree that it used to be a family show and now it's just a kids' show.

And I think I remember seeing quite a few episodes where the characters knew more than the audience, which just seems completely ridiculous as far as I'm concerned, as the best episodes IMO were the ones where the audience uncovered the problem along with the doctor.

I don't think it's gonna improve TBH.
Actually it was barely ever mentioned. The cracks of the universe were fading or something because Universes were getting destroyed, if it's fiction it
it's plausible.

Oh what! It's much more realistic to dwell on the loss of a friend for a few episodes than to totally forget her.

And Silence in the library was awful.

Ok, I feel some of these points are just subjective and that we are no going to agree. I understand about losing a firend so I will conceed this. :biggrin:

Howerver there is this. (Was a bit much)

And this is probably the worst acting ever.

Get over yourself, tennant, you're suppose to be a time lord. Regeneration to you is like sneezing.
Completely disagree, in RTD's tenure as the lead writer he wrote very few episodes I could watch more than once. Two of the best episodes of the 10th doctor were Moffat written, as mentioned, and there have been some great storylines by Moffat and the other writers during the last two series. The introduction of River Song was genius, which I believe was a Moffat idea.
I totally agree. I used to absolutely love Doctor Who the first 2 seasons, I thought it was amazing. The 3rd season went downhill a little bit, but the 4th season was an improvement over the third, especially due to Catherine Tate's humour, but it wasn't as good as the first 2. Then when Moffat took over and Smith became the new Doctor, it went massively downhill, to the point that I barely think its worth watching.

I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but during the Moffat/Smith era Doctor Who just seems so ridiculous, illogical and nonsensical that it irritates me.
I haven't watched it in about three series now. Lost interest slightly before David Tennant left and stopped watching entirely after the first series with Matt Smith, because the storylines were becoming utterly absurd and went way beyond decent, gritty sci-fi that even Christopher Eccleston's episodes managed let alone the originals.

There's a lot more I could say about why I don't like it but I'm quite honestly not too sure where to begin. The bottom line is, though, that as a reboot it's veered too far away from the originals and really can't be considered to be the same thing.
(edited 11 years ago)

Whilst I liked Chris Eccleston as the Dr and cannot deny that DT is gorgeous

I am going to agree with this poster ... and with the OP

With Smith and Moffat, Dr Who has returned to being the children's show that it was and should be

Kids drama with enough of a twist to keep parents interested

RTD played to a different audience ... perhaps they have lost out but those of us who were not interested in the romantic elements can now reclaim the show
I completely agree with you. For all the reasons that you've mentioned, I just don't enjoy it any more. Also, I actually think that River Song is the most irritating character I've ever seen on television.
I'll probably get negged for this but whatever..

Ever since Moffat and Matt Smith took over I've been thoroughly dissapointed with watching the show. The writing is much worse than RTD's and I do not like the direction they've aimed the show in. Doctor Who now seems like it's aimed at a much younger audience compared to that of the RTD era and now and again I even feel uncomfortable watching some of the scenes. How they cling on to such stupid things like "Fish fingers and custard" and "ragged man"

I also feel like it's much harder to connect with the show. Seeing events happen in modern Earth, seeing BBC news headlines, seeing an Eastenders clip on Doctor Who meant the show seemed much more relevant.

Not only this but I also feel like I'm watching a different show. RTD tied in Doctor Who, Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood so nicely. So what? Nobody on Earth could die and Amy/Rory never thought of mentioning it to the Doctor? Okay..

Anyway that's my rant. Hopefully some of you feel the same. It's definitely not an age thing because sometimes I still happily enjoy rewatching old episodes and have tried my best to like Moffat and Smith but just can't. If today's episode isn't amazing I'll probably not watch it again.

I'm of the completely opposite opinion, but we'd live in a boring world if we all liked the same thing and a fair number of people have said what you have. Likewise, a number of people prefer the current style to RTD's style.

I love Smith as the Doctor, the over-encompassing story arc has gripped me for the last two series and whilst it has been more childish at times, I'm pleased they've not been as Earth-based and without the news reports.

I see the Doctor as an eccentric, slap-dash alien figure and as much as I liked Tennant, I don't think he was quite written that way.

It is great to see a television programme can cause such debate.
Reply 138
I think the show is terrible now. Matt Smith is just so insincere, he cannot compete on the emotional range of David Tennant or Christopher Eccleston and the show has become boring because it all seems to be one big joke.
I quit around the <whatever his name is> era (the current Dr, forgot his name). It isn't the same anymore unfortunately, I too feel embarrassed with regards to come of the scenes... my brothers are sitting in the room too, that makes it a lot worse.

Quick Reply

Latest