The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE MODULAR 5MB1H Higher Tier UNIT 1 Answers March 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MrG

If you worked out all these probabilities and added them together you would get the same answer thats on the mark scheme. BUT its very easy to miss one out.
Thanks! Should be more careful next time:s-smilie:
Original post by FitaJ3T
HI, I understand Eric winning a single game= 0.3, Isobel winning =0.6, draw= 0.1 (Total = 1), all i did was figure out the inverse fraction ((0.6x0.6x0.6)+(0.1x0.1x0.1)) since it was the easiest and less time consuming and then i reversed it to find the actual answer. Looking at the unofficial mark scheme, the did 0.7 to the power of 3. I dont know why they did that!! Did they add 0.1 to 0.6?? (Isobel+Draw). If they did, why?? Is it right??(after all it is unofficial).:confused:

Its absolutely right to be honest.Though its unofficial,its done by someone who's very experienced :smile:
Original post by MrG
They did that because its the probability that Eric looses OR Draws a game (ie doesnt win) if you cube this you get the probability that Eric Doesnt win a game in three trys so taking this away from 1 would leave you with the probability he wins at least 1.

Where you went wrong is you assumed win win win was the only option however the questions states he wins at LEAST 1 game so he could win 1 game 2 games or all 3, so theres a huge amount of combinations.

for example:

WWD
WWL
WDW
WDD
WDL
WLW
WLD
WLL
DWW
DWD
DWL
DDW
DLW
LWW
LWD
LWL
LDW
LLW

If you worked out all these probabilities and added them together you would get the same answer thats on the mark scheme. BUT its very easy to miss one out.

Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are?
Reply 43
Original post by vamos talal
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are?

No they don't. They will not be published until just before results day.
Reply 44
When do we get the results for this exam and can anyone predict the grade boundaries? I took 5MB1H in November and came out with 91/120 which is a mid B. I was hoping for an A but I don't feel I did as well in this paper mark-wise, but from previous comments I would like to hope the boundaries are lower. My raw mark on the November paper was 43/60.
Reply 45
Original post by Tommo96
When do we get the results for this exam and can anyone predict the grade boundaries? I took 5MB1H in November and came out with 91/120 which is a mid B. I was hoping for an A but I don't feel I did as well in this paper mark-wise, but from previous comments I would like to hope the boundaries are lower. My raw mark on the November paper was 43/60.

Results are out on Thursday. Boundaries usually appear the day before.
Reply 46
Original post by gdunne42
Results are out on Thursday. Boundaries usually appear the day before.

Reply 47
Original post by Tommo96

Boundaries are
A* A B C D
52 44 35 26 20
are you certain and a 100% sure about these boundries?thanks for help.
Original post by gdunne42
Boundaries are
A* A B C D
52 44 35 26 20

are u sure about these boundries?
Reply 50
Original post by vamos talal
are u sure about these boundries?

Yes they are on the edexcel web site

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1203%20GCSE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries.pdf
What did everyone get? I got 99/120 UMS, so about 49.5/60 marks, sort of what I predicted after doing the exam. So glad that I got an A though as people in the set below got C's and someone in set 1 got a B. So I think I did quite well for set 3! Hope everyone else did well :smile:
Reply 53
I did bad. I got 77. A poor performance in comparison to November's 91.
120/120!!!!!Thats a feat!!!
Reply 55
Original post by sabreena96
was this a calc paper or non calc?

Calc
So guys how Did u find the exam?? What questions did u find difficult?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Was it just me who thought that the answer for the last question here was wrong? the person answering didn't take into account that there could have been some draws not just losses... i may be wrong but...
also for the survey one it says he isnt just asking one gender hes asking the customers in his table soo... again i may be completely wrong but if someone could tell me why id be really grateful!
wait doesn't matter, I'm an idiot.... my question about the survey still stands though even though i just mucked up the last one
can anyone explain the survey question to me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending