The Student Room Group

why does the stroma contain starch grains

why does the stroma contain starch grains ? I wasn't too sure but i thought it may be to store energy in the form of glucose for respiration ?
Also
The vacuole pushes the chloroplasts and cytoplasm to the edge of the cell - why? How does this help the cell to carry out its function ?
Reply 1
Original post by Rushika
why does the stroma contain starch grains ? I wasn't too sure but i thought it may be to store energy in the form of glucose for respiration ?
Also
The vacuole pushes the chloroplasts and cytoplasm to the edge of the cell - why? How does this help the cell to carry out its function ?

Starch acts as the cells energy storage, and is a product of photosynthesis. When the cell needs energy it can break down starch into glucose.

The function of the chloroplasts is to carry out photosynthesis, and for this it needs light. Light is more accessible at the edge of the cells and allows chloroplasts to carry out more photosynthesis than if it were in the middle of the cell.
Original post by Rushika
Also

In photosynthesis, the light-independent reaction (also known as the Calvin cycle) takes place in the stroma of a chloroplast, during which glucose is synthesised. The glucose which is not used up in respiration (or other processes) is stored in the stroma in the form of starch grains.
Reply 3
Original post by Eloades11
Starch acts as the cells energy storage, and is a product of photosynthesis. When the cell needs energy it can break down starch into glucose.

The function of the chloroplasts is to carry out photosynthesis, and for this it needs light. Light is more accessible at the edge of the cells and allows chloroplasts to carry out more photosynthesis than if it were in the middle of the cell.

As we're on the topic of energy storage in plants, would oil droplets be another way in which glucose can be stored and accessed for energy? The reason I'm asking is that in an A Level Biology paper I saw oil droplets on a diagram of a chloroplast as opposed to a starch grain. I'm assuming they do the same thing?
Reply 4
Original post by Cetacea
As we're on the topic of energy storage in plants, would oil droplets be another way in which glucose can be stored and accessed for energy? The reason I'm asking is that in an A Level Biology paper I saw oil droplets on a diagram of a chloroplast as opposed to a starch grain. I'm assuming they do the same thing?

Yep that's also correct.
Reply 5
Original post by Eloades11

Thankyou :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending