Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Final year no job

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm in my final year of university, wanted to start a career in management consultancy straight out of university as ive already had a gap year before uni. i applied to about 8 firms unsuccessfully but i've shot myself in the foot by leaving it too late. i know i should have applied earlier and i didn't apply to any of the big 4 so i know ive only got myself to blame.

is anyone in a similar position? what plans have you got in the summer to improve applications?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was in an identical situation to you last year

When I realised I wouldn't have a job straight out of uni I simply focused on getting good degree results. Then after graduation I started applying for jobs and looking to bolster my CV. I eventually ended up applying to grad schemes starting Autumn 2012, which is something I didn't plan on doing. I managed to secure one and luckily they asked me to start 6 months early, so I like to think I haven't lost too much time.

Keep sending out applications and don't get demotivated by rejections. Also re Big 4, they hire all year round so keep checking their websites. Good luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just concentrate on getting a good degree before you start worrying. If you need to take another gap year then take one - when you start working you'll be glad you did and realise there really is no rush!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in your position. I know it's hard, but I'd concentrate on getting through your exams first and then apply like mad for jobs within your area of interest. You'll find a job in the long run, but I appreciate it must be both unnerving and frustrating.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyoyomo)
    i'm in my final year of university, wanted to start a career in management consultancy straight out of university as ive already had a gap year before uni. i applied to about 8 firms unsuccessfully but i've shot myself in the foot by leaving it too late. i know i should have applied earlier and i didn't apply to any of the big 4 so i know ive only got myself to blame.

is anyone in a similar position? what plans have you got in the summer to improve applications?
    you realise that the Big4 have still some open consulting positions left? What kind of consulting do you want to do anyway? 8 firms is not many, considering a lot are still hiring.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    you realise that the Big4 have still some open consulting positions left? What kind of consulting do you want to do anyway? 8 firms is not many, considering a lot are still hiring.
    i want to go into strategy or operations consulting. deloitte is not hiring for those programmes now, neither is ey or pwc. i applied to kpmg so i dont think i can apply again for a year.

do you know of any other consulting firms that are still hiring?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.