The Student Room Group

Should 2.2s and thirds be scrapped...

Scroll to see replies

My boss has a 2:ii

and a masters

and a phd

and a prodigious history of getting papers published in prestigious journals.

My cousin has a 2:ii

and a jag

and a job paying £45k a year (outside of london)

My university grade helped me get funding for my masters and allows me to apply for graduate schemes. Less than 10% of graduates get onto graduate schemes and most of them have high drop-out rates/ are generally ****e jobs. Research is an area of interest to me, but employment is irregular and not generally high paid.

A 2:i/1st is not a golden ladder to the top nor is a 2:ii a snake to the bottom. A 2:ii is still impressive and in areas such as stem courses not a barrier to gainful employment
Original post by callum9999
Sorry - I simply cannot stand talking to you any more. You've now crossed the line from amusing to actually starting to annoy me and quite frankly, you aren't worth my time if you're going to act like a 5 year old.

Thanks for the apology. I can't simply stand talking to you either. You act like a drama queen! You throw a hissy fit at every turn! You are a child throwing toys out of the pram!
Everytime, you twist my words, you insult me and when I merely respond, you act as if you have a big chip on your shoulder. Enough is enough. I can't do this anymore. If you want to act like a Prima Donna, you do that. I am no longer going to put up with it. Go back to your cabinet.

Perhaps you need another world trip, silly mare! Stop acting like some Socialite!

I am better than this. I am a simple man and can no longer follow the Callum's Cruise. We're different. Some of us just happen to have a higher level of morality, a better attitude and are a nicer person.

You really are horrible. I never done this. I let you insult me and I brushed that aside.I been nothing but nice to you. You really know how to attack someone. It is sad. It is really really sad. Can't believe that I apologised because I genuinely felt bad cos I thought I really hurt your feelings, I actually apologised and you revelled in that and twisted the knife :frown:

This whole thing is really terrible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Llamageddon
My boss has a 2:ii

and a masters

and a phd

and a prodigious history of getting papers published in prestigious journals.

My cousin has a 2:ii

and a jag

and a job paying £45k a year (outside of london)

My university grade helped me get funding for my masters and allows me to apply for graduate schemes. Less than 10% of graduates get onto graduate schemes and most of them have high drop-out rates/ are generally ****e jobs. Research is an area of interest to me, but employment is irregular and not generally high paid.

A 2:i/1st is not a golden ladder to the top nor is a 2:ii a snake to the bottom. A 2:ii is still impressive and in areas such as stem courses not a barrier to gainful employment

Have a friend who got a 3rd. He's about to walk into a 25k job, which increases when he progresses with the relevant IT qualifications that the company will train him for.

It can happen, but you just don't hear much of it.
Original post by H.JJJ
Have a friend who got a 3rd. He's about to walk into a 25k job, which increases when he progresses with the relevant IT qualifications that the company will train him for.

It can happen, but you just don't hear much of it.
You don't hear many people getting 3rds. Don't know about your university but at UCL they're mostly filtered out before that point and go on to study elsewhere, usually quite successfully unless they're into drugs or just chronically lazy. I honestly don't believe a 2:ii is a bad grade though. Sure, it's not fantastic and you close doors with it, but it's still an achievement that leaves many doors open. A 3rd too is still a pass and most companies really don't give a ****.
Reply 124
Original post by Llamageddon
You don't hear many people getting 3rds. Don't know about your university but at UCL they're mostly filtered out before that point and go on to study elsewhere, usually quite successfully unless they're into drugs or just chronically lazy. I honestly don't believe a 2:ii is a bad grade though. Sure, it's not fantastic and you close doors with it, but it's still an achievement that leaves many doors open. A 3rd too is still a pass and most companies really don't give a ****.

True. This guy had a few circumstances that influenced his personal life, which the uni thought were a bit ambigious and didn't see it as extenuating circumstances. Unfortunate really, he could have got a better result if the uni (aston) cut him a little slack.
Reply 125
interesting thread
Nope keep them i think it shows a lack of effort on their behalf.
Original post by The_Male_Melons
No, not really. 'Eck following your logic (and I know quite a lot of employer do this), actually prefer and choose candidates with a 2.1 (66% or above) and a first.

Really if you have a 2.1 less than 65%, you will be treated the same as a person with a 2.2.

Are you suggesting anyone with less than 65% to have a "pass mark" instead?

Btw, most employers are now wanting a consistent 2.1 and will look at your 1st year even though it is not counted. By a consistent 2.1, I mean 66% or above for every single module in every year. I am not even kidding about that. It is just not big companies, SME are going that way as well.

They also will focus on the degree you are doing as well, so MM aren't even considered. Even the uni is considered.

How would you equate this to an OU degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending