Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Confused about the whole bursary process

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the requirements is to successfully be accepted for department of health bursary.

I want to do mental health nursing and I was wondering if they look at your house income. My dad earns the most in the family and it is around 50-60, 000 a year. Hopefully it doesn't affect me.

Does anyone know about the NHS bursary?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiet:))
    One of the requirements is to successfully be accepted for department of health bursary.

I want to do mental health nursing and I was wondering if they look at your house income. My dad earns the most in the family and it is around 50-60, 000 a year. Hopefully it doesn't affect me.

Does anyone know about the NHS bursary?
    I'm assuming you're dependent on your parents, i.e. under 25, no kids, etc. The NHS bursary for nursing is income-assessed, yes, I'm fairly sure they use similar thresholds to student finance so I think you would be means tested out of it, sadly. Your parents are expected to make a contribution to your living costs at that income level. However, the NHS will still pay your fees and you can receive a non means-tested reduced rate maintenance loan from student finance, which is roughly half the usual maintenance loan.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glittersticks)
    I'm assuming you're dependent on your parents, i.e. under 25, no kids, etc. The NHS bursary for nursing is income-assessed, yes, I'm fairly sure they use similar thresholds to student finance so I think you would be means tested out of it, sadly. Your parents are expected to make a contribution to your living costs at that income level. However, the NHS will still pay your fees and you can receive a non means-tested reduced rate maintenance loan from student finance, which is roughly half the usual maintenance loan.
    This is absolutely right.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you, I just wanted to know if they will pay for the degree that is what im worried about.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    However will it affect my uni application because of this? it is one of the requirements

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 5, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.