The Student Room Group

All nighters

Scroll to see replies

Original post by siani-chan
I have had far too many cereal-in-glass, squash-in-bowl incidents to justify any all nighters. :facepalm:

PMSL!!! :biggrin:

I've only ever done an all nighter once - got up at 12.30pm on the Sunday and went to bed at 11.45am on the Monday. However, I set an alarm to wake up at 3.30pm so it didn't mess up the whole of Monday. I didn't actually feel too bad tbh. Took a couple of longer mornings in bed to catch up on sleep, but yeah wasn't too bad. I have had two near all nighters in the last month or so - but that was mainly due to staying out clubbing until the VERY VERY early hours :biggrin:
I usually work until quite late in the early morning when I've got deadlines (I work better under pressure) but I've only gone past the 5am mark once and it was pretty awful.
I did get to see the sunrise though, which was nice - especially when you've downed a massive bottle of knock-off Red Bull, a load of coffee, and you've been philosophising for 8 hours straight. Strange experience, don't think I'd recommend it though.
Reply 22
However starnge it would sound, sometimes I even enjoy the experience of all-nighters.
The fact is I'm most productive late at night and under really huge pressure, so I've had quite a few all-nighters so far (dangerously many in the last months...). I'm doing an engineering degree so I don't need accuracy and coherence in writting that much which makes pulling an all-nighter easier, and thanks to this, I'm really satisfied of the grades I got for the assignments done overnight
And why do I enjoy it? I love seeing the sunrise, when I open the window and hear all the birds out there, I like the feeling of being awake at such strange times, and above all when I meet an important deadline early in the morning, the satisfaction from what I've done and what I can still do in this beautiful, long day is overhelming.
This all is true under only one condition. I need some 2-3 hours of sleep at any time during the following day. xD
Reply 23
spent 16 hours straight in the library the other day, got so much done. I only find all-nighters useful though when it's absolute necessary to get on top of things, but usually they just make me tired the next day and thus unproductive.
Reply 24
i am not looking forward to my potential all nighter in a few weeks time, stupid 24 hr coursework. Anyone have an idea on what supplies I should take bearing in mind I'll be starting at midday?

last time we had something similar (2 years ago) we spent about 12 hours doing the coursework, this time i think it will be worse, mainly because i don't understand the topic...
I've been unintentionally doing one tonight to get a lab report done. FML.

What's depressing is that this is like a tiny spec of dust on the total mess that is my workload.

My brain is starting to hurt with all this academic jargon.

I'll get there. Hopefully.
(edited 12 years ago)
personally, I don't understand the point in pulling an all nighter. Why leave it until the very last moment, just do the work the few days before it's due. I procrastinate a lot, but seriously, just do it a couple of days before.
I think it is easy. When I was 11 or 12 I really fancied playing games. But my plan was busted when my mum came in at 3:30 in the morning. Turns out that my headphones were not plugged in properly and she could hear everything. Now I do it about every fortnight, or whenever I don't wanna go to bed. Instead of coffee and energy drink, I have always used chewing gum. The minty flavour keeps me wide awake and it doesn't rot my teeth.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Are occasional all nighters to get work done more benefitial than not? By this I do NOT mean last minute revision, I just mean some extra time at university when the workload is rather high, or perhaps indeed for revision (but again not last minute). Assuming the all nighters are occasional, would I gain from these, or would the sleep deficit from the one night, kill some other work time in efficancy lacking or just sleep?

It's never worth it. My health suffered greatly from lack of sleep and I can safely say it was the worst feeling of my life
Reply 29
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Are occasional all nighters to get work done more benefitial than not? By this I do NOT mean last minute revision, I just mean some extra time at university when the workload is rather high, or perhaps indeed for revision (but again not last minute). Assuming the all nighters are occasional, would I gain from these, or would the sleep deficit from the one night, kill some other work time in efficancy lacking or just sleep?

If I am honest it depends what year you are in like in my first, second and even third year I could leave work until last minute and pull a couple of all nighters it messes your sleep pattern though! But I am in final year know and would advise anyone to plan their time efficiently and get plenty of sleep because you can not leave dissertation until last minute or even pull all nighters! Well I certainly can not anyway Im tired from just working all day ahah! Hope this has helped could you please fill out my dissertation survey it should only take 30 seconds! Thanks in advance! https://docs.google.com/a/student.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/forms/d/1-s0fcNoXPjS5JNnDVmyPwoNF2yjerEDTZ4b6mqw1ggM/viewform

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending