The Student Room Group

Problems Sleeping in the Same Bed

Hey
Well, basically, the title says its all. I have problems sleeping in the same bed as my boyfriend. We only have single beds, but we're both very thin, so its not as though we hugely restricted in terms of space. But I just can't do it. I continually wake up every 45 mins or so, I get frustrated, and all that I want to do is push him out so that I can have the bed and go to sleep.
It's stupid, because if he comes to see me in the morning and gets in I can easily sleep all cuddled up, or if we're having a snooze in the middle of the day it's fine. It's only at night that I cannot for the life of me get to sleep if he's in the bed.
Do you think that once we're married and have a double bed, it will get easier? Because of the space issue? I sleeptalk/walk etc etc, and I'm wondering if maybe its just because I'm not at ease with him hearing me talking and things when I'm not aware of what I'm saying or doing. Maybe psychologically that is why I can't get into a deep sleep (I sleeptalk every single night, and I'm not sure how frequent the sleep walking is, but its quite often). Or maybe I just need to try some sleep rememdies?
I know this sounds like a stupid issue, but I keep hurting my boyfriend's feelings but commenting on what a rough night I've had or saying that I'd rather sleep alone.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe you should tell him exactly what you just wrote im sure he will understand
Reply 2
Little Girl Red

Do you think that once we're married and have a double bed, it will get easier? .

Definitely.

Having slept in both a single bed and a double bed, and have a similar problem, yes, I'm sure.
As it happens, I've found that on the (depressingly rare) opportunities that I've found myself sharing a bed with a woman (double or otherwise), I can find it hard to sleep; I feel hot and cramped (and I don't just mean when I've just bedded fat birds), somehow. I like my own space in bed, really; just as well, being as the 'other half' of my bed looks set to remain unoccupied for the forseeable future.
Reply 4
yup i found it hard to sleep too, ketp waking up all the time, but it was only like once a week that we got the opportunity so didnt bother me too much altho my then bf could sleep fine (until i woke him up lol)
Reply 5
Yeah, even in a double bed I have trouble sleeping with someone else there. Once I ended up awake all night, I only got to sleep when he got up to have a shower in the morning!
Reply 6
I've had so many problems with our stupid beds too! When my (ex) boyfriend came to stay we could never sleep well, and we'd feel totally rough and sleepy the next day. He actually did try to sleep on my chair in the end, but obviously that wasn't a great solution. Last time he stayed I got a camp bed for the duration, but that isn't really practical for you guys!

I'm sure it's just down to the single bed. Have you not ever slept in the same bed before? My ex and I both have double beds at home and when I stayed over we were usually fine - my sleep wasn't ever quite as good as normal, but so so much better than a single bed cos you can be quite a distance away from each other. I really don't know how couples can sleep all romantically entwined, I need my space! Anyway, I guess you just have to put up with it this year, sorry :frown:.
Hey guys!
I'm so relieved to hear that loads of other people have the some trouble :smile: I thought that because he can sleep comfortabley, it was just all my problem.
We've both got single beds at home too, but I've slept in his bed before (twice). This was because his parents were away, and because it was a huge novelty and I'd been looking forward to it for ages, it wasn't that bad. I still woke up and stuff, but I was enjoying it too. Now I just get way too frustrated!
It's so relieving to hear that other people experience this too. I'm not the only one!!
Reply 8
Single beds are certainly harder to sleep in. Especially after having the luxury of a double bed.
Reply 9
Pretty Boy
try two single beds beside each other with a short distance between em

How do you propose getting an extra single bed into my uni room, clever boy?

LGR, you're not alone at all! I'm just about getting used to it, but if I'm drunk, or slightly ill, or in any way not absolutely happy and comfortable, then I can't sleep. We slept in a double bed when on holiday in the summer and in the spare room at his house and it was absolutely fine, it's just the space issue.
Reply 10
I cant sleep well in my uni bed as it is. Not tried with my girlfriend yet. You'ld think if you were paying £80/week you would get more than a camp bed with 3/4 thickness mattress...
Reply 11
hmmm maybe i'm weird. my bf is 6'8 and a rugby player and we have no probs sleeping in our eensy weensy single uni beds! hmmmm.
Reply 12
Pretty Boy
you're b/f is a 2nd row ?

indeed. good guess. unless you know him..?! lol
Reply 13
Pretty Boy
I play rugby, he's not fittin in anywhere else!

well maybe the back row but they're usually 6 ft 4 max

rugby players are awesome :smile:
Oooh rugby banter! I played today for the first time in about a year, forgot how good it feels to take someone down. Perfect conditions too; bit of rain (nothing heavy) and soft ground. I love it! :biggrin:
Handy
Definitely.

Having slept in both a single bed and a double bed, and have a similar problem, yes, I'm sure.

i dunno about that. i have found that double beds are certainly alot better for sleeping in, but it still takes a long time of regulary sleeping together (as in a couple times a week plus) before you both adapt to each other.
Reply 16
It's taken a year to get used to it, but now we sleep very comfortably in single beds. I do have a double bed at home though and it is a bit better, especially in the morning etc when reading the paper/having breakfast in bed or at night if one of us wants to read for a bit while the other is sleeping..
Reply 17
i've done it before in a single, but i'm so used to having a queen size bed all to my self i'm like... "having space issues" lol
Reply 18
Tip for the boys who have trouble sharing a single or even double bed: Have sex and then immediately role over and go to sleep, forget the after sex hugs just switch off and you'll have no problems. I guarantee this will work, I mean guys always want to go to sleep after sex right? I can't guarantee your girlfriend won't feel annoyed at you doing this.
Reply 19
Jack0
Tip for the boys who have trouble sharing a single or even double bed: Have sex and then immediately role over and go to sleep, forget the after sex hugs just switch off and you'll have no problems. I guarantee this will work, I mean guys always want to go to sleep after sex right? I can't guarantee your girlfriend won't feel annoyed at you doing this.
Great advice there. ^o) I'd certainly feel annoyed. Although I do want to go to sleep myself after sex but that's only *after* the cuddles and stuff.

Anyway, I used to have trouble sleeping in the same (single) bed with my boyfriend. Now I'm used to it though and usually don't have any problems in either his or my bed. He can't sleep properly in my bed though cause he thinks it's too small :rolleyes: Of course, I don't usually have problems sleeping anywhere.. so that might help slightly.

Latest

Trending

Trending