Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LOTR: Why were there no black hobbits?

Announcements Posted on
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Why the **** does he need to have black people in the world he created in his mind? It was not his job to pander to the modern day PC brigade and alter what his imagination gave him.
    Well as one person previously stated, he stuck indians in the book...fighting for sauron. Seems as though all the darkies were on the losing side.

was tolkien a racist?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Shire wasn't exactly an African climate maybe? It would be really out of place to have black hobbits in a place with the same weather conditions as rural England.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh the Moors have been everywhere since the 800's, and there have been black people here since at least the Roman empire. But the point is it's a nostalgic, idealised view.

"There'll always be an England
    While there's a country lane,
    Wherever there's a cottage small
    Beside a field of grain."

That kind of thing.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuvel)
    The Shire wasn't exactly an African climate maybe? It would be really out of place to have black hobbits in a place with the same weather conditions as rural England.
    Well, I see black people today in britain, living in non-tropical climates.

What's the difference?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I wonder if any black actors auditioned for parts as hobbits. If none auditioned, how come? If some auditioned, how come none of them got the parts? There are lots of hobbits as background roles/crowd shots/etc; can we really say that none of the non-white actors who auditioned were good enough to work in the background of a crowd shot, which I can't imagine takes that much talent?

The races of the hobbits aren't specified in the book as far as I know, so there'd be no harm in having non-white hobbits if we had actors who would be good at playing them. I'm not saying that we should deliberately make non-white people play them just to fulfil some mythical quota, but it's quite weird that that hasn't happened organically.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    As a black man, don't you feel offended?
    No.

Are you offended there are no white smurfs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well as one person previously stated, he stuck indians in the book...fighting for sauron. Seems as though all the darkies were on the losing side.

was tolkien a racist?
    I heard he was an honorary grand high dragon master of the klu klux klan. :holmes:

I knew there was something fishy about frodo.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    No.

Are you offended there are no white smurfs?
    Yes.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    I heard he was an honorary grand high dragon master of the klu klux klan. :holmes:

I knew there was something fishy about frodo.
    I think that you are onto something. :holmes:
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, how many black characters where there in the game?

I can't remember any in the film, nor in the book. There were Brown people, (The Haradrim and the Easterlings) but no Black people...
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    To be fair, I wonder if any black actors auditioned for parts as hobbits. If none auditioned, how come? If some auditioned, how come none of them got the parts? There are lots of hobbits as background roles/crowd shots/etc; can we really say that none of the non-white actors who auditioned were good enough to work in the background of a crowd shot, which I can't imagine takes that much talent?

The races of the hobbits aren't specified in the book as far as I know, so there'd be no harm in having non-white hobbits if we had actors who would be good at playing them. I'm not saying that we should deliberately make non-white people play them just to fulfil some mythical quota, but it's quite weird that that hasn't happened organically.
    Well seeing as the films were shot in New Zealand then most of those auditioning for extras roles would have been white.

They did have non-whites in the film though, a lot of those playing Orcs or Urak Hai (and the guy who played the witch king of angmar) were of Maori descent.

Oh and two of the scale doubles for the Hobbits (at least two, it may even have been three) were either Thai or Indian.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people don't get sarcasm. Funniest thread I've seen in a while.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:

was tolkien a racist?
    None of the Easterlings or Southrons were ever described as being Indian or Black, I think they were described as 'Swarthy', but that doesn't necessarily mean that they were supposed to be Indian, he may have visualised them as looking like Southern Europeans.

But most interpretations (ie, films, illustrations etc.) have made them look sort of middle eastern or north african because they are from the east and the south of their world so we place tham as being from the east and south or our mental map of the world.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historophilia)
    None of the Easterlings or Southrons were ever described as being Indian or Black, I think they were described as 'Swarthy', but that doesn't necessarily mean that they were supposed to be Indian, he may have visualised them as looking like Southern Europeans.

But most interpretations (ie, films, illustrations etc.) have made them look sort of middle eastern or north african because they are from the east and the south of their world so we place tham as being from the east and south or our mental map of the world.
    Irrespective on how you label it, the fact remains; they had a tan.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    EPIC! :rofl:
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having a tan, doesn't equal being middle Eastern.

They were supposed to be from the South or the South East, stands to reason that they would be darker skinned as they would be warmer.

After all the Southrons had giant elephants, so clearly they are from a hot climate.

But it doesn't equal Tolkein being a racist, most of the bad guys in LOTR aren't even human at all, or if they were once human (like the Nazgul), they were white humans.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They did, but they were killed off so quickly at the start of the film that you didn't notice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wave)
    They did, but they were killed off so quickly at the start of the film that you didn't notice.
    LOL
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historophilia)
    Having a tan, doesn't equal being middle Eastern.

They were supposed to be from the South or the South East, stands to reason that they would be darker skinned as they would be warmer.

After all the Southrons had giant elephants, so clearly they are from a hot climate.

But it doesn't equal Tolkein being a racist, most of the bad guys in LOTR aren't even human at all, or if they were once human (like the Nazgul), they were white humans.
    What the hell are you talking about, tolkien was an outspoken nazi sypathiser!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tolkein.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	134878  
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha this thread is funny.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 5, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.