Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PASS identification petition

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    This petition calls on parliament to make it an offence for establishments which require proof of age, for example off-licences and nightclubs, from refusing those who attempt to prove their identity via any cards with the government sponsored PASS logo.

The scheme is pointless unless retailers are forced to accept them, with the PASS logo indicating the legitimacy of the card.

It is unfortunate that people are expected to take passports or driving licences on night outs. The nature of such nights out are such that important documents are easy to lose.

The petition also calls for guarantees that nightclubs cannot be punished for admitting people who use PASS identification.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I think this needs a bit more expansion.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, this needs much expansion if to be workable.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Erm, I think this needs a bit more expansion.
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Agreed, this needs much expansion if to be workable.
    Just on a constitutional point, this isn't a bill. The idea is for OP to start a petition for what he would like changed, which he has done. His idea is then debated and voted on and if it passes, the expectation is that the TSR Government or an MP will develop this idea into a bill.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then no, not until there is some kind of expansion.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It has the potential to be a good idea.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    And this should be an offence because?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware any private establishment has every right to refuse entry if they believe the ID is not sufficient.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    As far as I am aware any private establishment has every right to refuse entry if they believe the ID is not sufficient.
    That's the point. The id IS legal.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree with the petition, as a member of the Government I'm publicly saying that I support this; thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    And?

I have known people who have been refused because the bouncers believe the ID to be insufficient proof of age. They have every right to do so.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Then no, not until there is some kind of expansion.
    I don't think there's any need for expansion, as Metro says: it's not a bill and therefore it can get away with being rather vague. The problem is obviously that there are establishments which are refusing ID that the British Government itself deems to be valid forms of identification.

And this petition is to make it so private establishments must accept ID with the PASS Logo.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    And?

I have known people who have been refused because the bouncers believe the ID to be insufficient proof of age. They have every right to do so.
    And I'm trying to stop them having the right to.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Retaillers already have to accept it legally as far as i'm aware...
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather just support scrapping the scheme tbh, making it an offence won't change much for a very long time.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    This can be a grey area. I worked in a bar (owned by Barracuda which has 400+ pubs/bars) for 18 months and was told not to accept the citizen cards (these may be what is being referred to) because they are easily forged.

I would appreciate somebody quoting the legislation but i believe that while government has a list of approved identities, businesses are not obligated to accept them and can demand just a driving license or passport.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    But should the government try to impose or influence the judgment of said establishment (be it a bar, UN or whatever) and should they be able to dictate and influence such terms even if an establishment disagrees?
    Many places thrive on braving the right to turn away it refuse people for a whe host of reasons. If a situation arises where the establishment is unsure you'd want them to be forced to accept them in? If so my next question would be, would that establishment still be liable for any consequences?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    The PASS cards are easily forged, thus no one accepts them.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agree with this as it should technically have the same weighting. When did it become normal to carry around the photocard of your driving license. It's a weird concept.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    Agree with this as it should technically have the same weighting. When did it become normal to carry around the photocard of your driving license. It's a weird concept.
    Who doesn't carry around their driving licence? if you are driving you need it on you at all times (along with the counter-part, can be shoved in the glove compartment).
Updated: March 9, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.