The Student Room Group

M1 help needed please!

I'm a bit stuck on the following question, can someone please give me some guidance?

3. A particle of mass 5 kg is pulled across a rough horizontal plane by a string inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane is 0.6. Find the acceleration of the particle when the tension in the string is 55 N
Reply 1
Original post by ssej
I'm a bit stuck on the following question, can someone please give me some guidance?

3. A particle of mass 5 kg is pulled across a rough horizontal plane by a string inclined at 45 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane is 0.6. Find the acceleration of the particle when the tension in the string is 55 N

Have you drawn a diagram?
Next step is to resolve the forces acting on the particle, and then use F(resultant) = ma.
Reply 2
Look at the forces acting on the particle.

You have its mass acting down, friction acting opposite to its direction of motion and tension in the string at 45 degrees.

Resolve this tension into horizontal and vertical forces.

Use Fr = mu*NR to figure out the net force acting on the particle, hence its acceleration.
Reply 3
I've drawn a diagram and have attempted to resolve in both directions, I don't really understand the tension bit though.
Reply 4
Original post by steve10
Look at the forces acting on the particle.

You have its mass acting down, friction acting opposite to its direction of motion and tension in the string at 45 degrees.

Resolve this tension into horizontal and vertical forces.

Use Fr = mu*NR to figure out the net force acting on the particle, hence its acceleration.

Ohhh! Okay, I understand now. I was just being a bit stupid. Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest