The Student Room Group

Israel threaten pre-emptive strike on Iran

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aj12
An attack on Israel is very very unlikely. The Israelis know this. However the worry of a nuclear Iran is not that it would attack Israel but the other consequences and destabilisation that would come with a nuclear armed Iran.

That brilliant euphemism, 'destabilisation', which generally means it threatens Western (and sometimes Israel's too, but that's a lot less relevant for the Western leaders than you might think) interests in the region. Is it not destabilising for the US to intervene everywhere in the region, set up client states, invade countries, etc, or for Israel to be a nuclear state, invade and occupy countries around it, etc?

As for attacking nations does that really matter when they have constantly been supporting terrorist groups throughout the middle east as well as supporting dictatorship in Syria?

Again, so the US doing this ten times more has no significance?
Reply 61
Original post by I Persia I
Did he say that wasn't terrorism? :lol:

He implied that Iran is the terrorist whilst America/Israel are the good guys. Further to his examples, I merely added some more relevant ones that puts things into perspective.

So because America supports all those dictatorships lets let Iran support terrorist groups that like to put bombs in school buses. The truth is the US does all of that to maintain its hegemony which is disgusting frankly because of the sheer hypocrisy. But what you have to realise is that Iran has had no role at all in the Israel-Arab conflict until the mullahs decided to poke their noses in on purely ideological grounds which, quite frankly has been a burden on the Iranian people themselves and the threats made make them susceptible to invasion when they're gonna be the ones getting bombed if Israel decides to invade. Aj isn't justifying America's actions, you're justifying Iran's actions because of America's actions.

Is Iran not part of "Arabia"? Does it not feel threatened by all those American bases on it's borders as well as it's Sunni neighbors who would love to exterminate the shia's. Look at the picture below and tell me which country is the one under threat.

I think you overlook the fact that the Iranian regime shoots people when they come out to protest and is helping Syria to do just that; BUT WAIT! That doesn't matter as long as they hate Israel and America.

At least the Iranians OWN up to it although that makes not one jot of a difference.

The Americans are still supplying the Saudi's and Bahrani's with tanks, planes and weapons to crush the "rebel protesters" whilst on the diplomatic front are advocating military force in Syria and Iran. That is the REAL HYPOCRITICAL objective here.
Reply 62
Original post by Bishy786

Is Iran not part of "Arabia"?

Erm NO!
Reply 63
Original post by Ferdowsi
Erm NO!

My bad. :smile:
Reply 64
My bad. :smile:

Your map doesn't say that much to be honest.

Iran has gained immensely beyond their wildest dreams from the removal of their old enemy Saddam and the installation of a Shia government that is very much influenced by Iran in Iraq. In Afghanistan, Iranian special forces fought alongside the Americans to capture Herat in the early stages of the war and the Taliban were long a foe of the Iranian regime, they were close to invading all the way through the 1990s. Of all the countries in the region, Iran has gained the most by American interventions. It is the Saudis who lost out because they lost their buffer with Iran in Iraq.
He implied that Iran is the terrorist whilst America/Israel are the good guys. Further to his examples, I merely added some more relevant ones that puts things into perspective.

Well in my opinion they're both the terrorists in more ways than one. Regardless you can't defend Iran for the fact that it hasn't invaded another country in a couple centuries seeing as using proxies is technically the same.

Is Iran not part of "Arabia"? Does it not feel threatened by all those American bases on it's borders as well as it's Sunni neighbors who would love to exterminate the shia's. Look at the picture below and tell me which country is the one under threat.

I don't understand what you mean, Iran is not part of Arabia, Arabia is just the Arabian peninsula, I'm confused I have no idea what you're on about and Iran is no more an Arab country than the UK is one. Iran wouldn't be under threat if it didn't have such a hostile approach towards Israel and the US. It's feeding them and giving them more reasons to beat the war-drums and making itself more prone to invasion. The US bases around Iran would pose no threat to it if it's fanatical leaders didn't keep baiting Israel.

At least the Iranians OWN up to it although that makes not one jot of a difference.

The Americans are still supplying the Saudi's and Bahrani's with tanks, planes and weapons to crush the "rebel protesters" whilst on the diplomatic front are advocating military force in Syria and Iran. That is the REAL HYPOCRITICAL objective here.

You're right; it doesn't.

...and the Iranian regime are supplying Hamas, Hezbollah to do their dirty work for them and keep poking Israel. Funding Assad to shoot his own people so it can have a like-minded dictatorial neighbour so they can happily defeat the Great Satan that is America with complete indifference to the position of its own people. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that two wrongs don't make a right.
Reply 66
Your map doesn't say that much to be honest.

Iran has gained immensely beyond their wildest dreams from the removal of their old enemy Saddam and the installation of a Shia government that is very much influenced by Iran in Iraq. In Afghanistan, Iranian special forces fought alongside the Americans to capture Herat in the early stages of the war and the Taliban were long a foe of the Iranian regime, they were close to invading all the way through the 1990s. Of all the countries in the region, Iran has gained the most by American interventions. It is the Saudis who lost out because they lost their buffer with Iran in Iraq.

It shows the American bases primed to attack Iran. Regardless of collaboration between Iranian and Americans, the situation has now changed, for the worse.
Reply 67
It shows the American bases primed to attack Iran. Regardless of collaboration between Iranian and Americans, the situation has now changed, for the worse.

You do realise that these mullahs want to be bombed. They will use it as an excuse to abuse the Iranian people even more.
Reply 68
Well in my opinion they're both the terrorists in more ways than one. Regardless you can't defend Iran for the fact that it hasn't invaded another country in a couple centuries seeing as using proxies is technically the same.

I'm not saying that Iran is the "good angel" in all this but just suggesting that people should put things into perspective. Like:

(1) No evidence has been found of Nuclear weapons.

(2) Iran has complied LEGALLY with every IAEA request.

(3) Whilst all the fuss has been made that Iran supports "terrorist" groups, no one has made a pipsqueak that America continues to support the Bahrani and Saudi regime who are crushing down on their own protesters with weapons supplied by America itself.

I don't understand what you mean, Iran is not part of Arabia, Arabia is just the Arabian peninsula, I'm confused I have no idea what you're on about and Iran is no more an Arab country than the UK is one. Iran wouldn't be under threat if it didn't have such a hostile approach towards Israel and the US. It's feeding them and giving them more reasons to beat the war-drums and making itself more prone to invasion. The US bases around Iran would pose no threat to it if it's fanatical leaders didn't keep baiting Israel.

Let's get this down to the nuts and bolts:

Who is the problem in the Middle East? Muslims or Jews

...and the Iranian regime are supplying Hamas, Hezbollah to do their dirty work for them and keep poking Israel. Funding Assad to shoot his own people so it can have a like-minded dictatorial neighbour so they can happily defeat the Great Satan that is America with complete indifference to the position of its own people. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that two wrongs don't make a right.

Maybe if the US stopped backing and cosying up to the Saudi's, maybe we'll get a more positive reaction from Russia and China who have been vetoing military action.

Or and let's again puts things into perspective:

Rockets vs Tanks - Which one is worse?
Planes vs Mortars - Which one is worse?

And you seem to be under the misapprehension that Hizbullah instigates wars when they are the self-defending party which couldn't be said the same for the Saudi's.
Reply 69
You do realise that these mullahs want to be bombed. They will use it as an excuse to abuse the Iranian people even more.

Mad mullahs, eh?
Original post by Aj12
An attack on Israel is very very unlikely. The Israelis know this. However the worry of a nuclear Iran is not that it would attack Israel but the other consequences and destabilisation that would come with a nuclear armed Iran.

As for attacking nations does that really matter when they have constantly been supporting terrorist groups throughout the middle east as well as supporting dictatorship in Syria?

For the third time now please could you tell me when was the last time Iran have attacked or bombed another nation? The Israeli Prime Minister did state to Obama, "The Jewish state will not allow those who seek our destruction the means to achieve that goal. A nuclear armed Iran must be stopped". The do seem adamant that Iran would aim nukes at them!
Wouldn't a pre-emptitve strike that be illegal under international law or something?

Oh wait! I forget. Israel has never been good in following laws. Such a shame that they then turn around and claim another country (Iran) should not do what is essentially allowed of them under the law. i.e - possess nuclear technology.

basically same as what i think. I dont condone the political situation in Iran nor their stance on nuclear weapons but it is legal for them to have nuclear power. They have said they dont want a bomb.
I'm not saying that Iran is the "good angel" in all this but just suggesting that people should put things into perspective. Like:

(1) No evidence has been found of Nuclear weapons.

(2) Iran has complied LEGALLY with every IAEA request.

(3) Whilst all the fuss has been made that Iran supports "terrorist" groups, no one has made a pipsqueak that America continues to support the Bahrani and Saudi regime who are crushing down on their own protesters with weapons supplied by America itself.

1) Of course not, they haven't made them yet. :rofl:

2) I beg to differ. It has repeatedly refused to declare several sites and when they were caught out they said they were going to declare them anyway.

3) As I said before here you are, making a pipsqueak about it and you only have to have an open mind to know that America's being hypocritical.

Let's get this down to the nuts and bolts:

Who is the problem in the Middle East? Muslims or Jews

:rofl: First of all to put it into context Israel didn't threaten Iran. It's been the warmongering on the mullahs' part after they decided they wanted Israel destroyed for some obscure reason because their ideology advocated it. Iran is not an Arab country, the Israel-Arab conflict has absolutely nothing to do with Iran. The mullahs have no right funding proxies there because they are getting involved in something that has nothing to do with them. The mullahs themselves see the Arabs as more of an enemy than Israel so this comparison is idiotic as there will never, ever be unity in the Middle East amongst Muslims and I hope there never is either.

Maybe if the US stopped backing and cosying up to the Saudi's, maybe we'll get a more positive reaction from Russia and China who have been vetoing military action.

A very optimistic view. :lol: China and Russia don't want the US to throw its weight around so they're using their veto as a feeble show of strength. By vetoing the criticism of Assad's actions they want to show that they will not just follow America's lead on this one.

Or and let's again puts things into perspective:

Rockets vs Tanks - Which one is worse?
Planes vs Mortars - Which one is worse?

And you seem to be under the misapprehension that Hizbullah instigates wars when they are the self-defending party which couldn't be said the same for the Saudi's.

Defending itself against what? Hezbollah was created by Iran and Khomeini decided to send Revolutionary Guards there to train militants as a 'resistance' group. They don't seem to be doing much resisting by constantly firing rockets into Israel are they? That's a whole different argument and frankly, this has nothing to do with it. As I said before the mullahs have no right to poke their nose into the Arab-Israel conflict so whether Hezbollah attacked first or otherwise, it doesn't justify their actions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by levantine
basically same as what i think. I dont condone the political situation in Iran nor their stance on nuclear weapons but it is legal for them to have nuclear power. They have said they dont want a bomb.

Well it's obvious they'll say that but it's obvious they're after a bomb. It's so they can throw their weight around without fear of reprisal from America or Israel, not for use. They shouldn't be allowed nukes, period. As for an invasion, definitely not.
Original post by s.a.u
obama's only saying that to keep the jewish voters. i highly doubt that it is going to happen.

Not all Jews are zionist.
First of all to put it into context Israel didn't threaten Iran.

While neither is really that much of a threat to the other, there's more grounds for saying Israel is a threat to Iran than vice versa.

It's been the warmongering on the mullahs' part after they decided they wanted Israel destroyed for some obscure reason because their ideology advocated it.

That 'obscure reason' is most likely to distract the Iranian populations from their low living standards and authoritarian regime, by blaming it on Israel. It's nothing new in history. It's all talk.

Iran is not an Arab country, the Israel-Arab conflict has absolutely nothing to do with Iran.

First part true, second part I'd dispute. They're not directly involved, but it's had a lot of knock on effects on Iran.

The mullahs have no right funding proxies there because they are getting involved in something that has nothing to do with them.

Whereas when the West do it, it's all OK?

A very optimistic view. :lol: China and Russia don't want the US to throw its weight around so they're using their veto as a feeble show of strength. By vetoing the criticism of Assad's actions they want to show that they will not just follow America's lead on this one.

I'd advise you to take a look at the number of US vetoes compared to Russian and Chinese ones in recent decades (the USSR vetoed a lot in the first few years of the UN, but that really skews Russia's stats).

Hezbollah was created by Iran

No, Hezbollah was created due to the radicalisation of communalist groups such as Amal thanks to the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982.

As I said before the mullahs have no right to poke their nose into the Arab-Israel conflict so whether Hezbollah attacked first or otherwise, it doesn't justify their actions.

So when Israel supports its favoured factions in Lebanon, that's OK, but when Iran does it it's bad? And that's without even starting on the US.....
It's so they can throw their weight around without fear of reprisal from America or Israel, not for use.

If you think there'd be no chance of reprisal, you're living in cloud cuckoo land.
Original post by anarchism101
If you think there'd be no chance of reprisal, you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

The same way I saw the US invading Pakistan instead of Afghanistan even though Pakistan have nukes.

Original post by anarchism101
While neither is really that much of a threat to the other, there's more grounds for saying Israel is a threat to Iran than vice versa.

As I said before Iran initiated it...

That 'obscure reason' is most likely to distract the Iranian populations from their low living standards and authoritarian regime, by blaming it on Israel. It's nothing new in history. It's all talk.

First part true, second part I'd dispute. They're not directly involved, but it's had a lot of knock on effects on Iran.

For example? The Shah seemed pretty content with staying out of it.

Whereas when the West do it, it's all OK?

Where did I say that?

I'd advise you to take a look at the number of US vetoes compared to Russian and Chinese ones in recent decades (the USSR vetoed a lot in the first few years of the UN, but that really skews Russia's stats).

Why do you keep jumping to conclusions. How did me explaining the reason for China and Russia's veto somehow make me an American lover. Bishy said that 'we'd see more positive results from China and Russia' and I implied that the Chinese and Russians hold no sympathy for the Syrian people rather they want to maintain their control and not have the US throw its weight around.

No, Hezbollah was created due to the radicalisation of communalist groups such as Amal thanks to the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982.

It might not have been created by them I'm not sure. But I know for a fact they wouldn't hold as much influence they do now if they hadn't been funded by the mullahs. I also know for a fact that several thousand Revolutionary Guards were stationed in Syria and Lebanon during the early 80s.

So when Israel supports its favoured factions in Lebanon, that's OK, but when Iran does it it's bad? And that's without even starting on the US.....

No. I was just mentioning the Iran bit... Why does the US and Israel having favoured factions justify Iran to do the same. As you said they're doing it to distract their population but I can jump to conclusions too. You're justifying their support for Hezbollah and Hamas when, as I stated, they haven't historically played a part in the conflict until Khomeini decided to go on a religious adventure.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78

For example? The Shah seemed pretty content with staying out of it.

1973 OPEC oil crisis.

But yeah I agree, the current position of Iran and Israel is just moronic beyond words.
Reply 79
Original post by levantine

Glad to see someone agrees with me.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending