Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering transferring to York

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student at St Andrews University, and am still struggling to settle in. Despite the great academic reputation, I am finding it isolating and claustrophobic and have struggled to make friends.
    I went for an interview at York in February and they offered me a place to start 2nd year there in September.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to say or to go? Is there anyone at York who could give me an honest opinion of what it's like to study there?

Thank you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    *Bump*

Was just browsing around and thought this person deserved an answer to her query.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well...I love York, loads of opportunities to get involved with stuff, a great mix of people and still a very good academic reputation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've spent nearly 3 years here, and I've enjoyed it a huge amount. There's a great community feel, and the departments appear to be, on the whole, excellent at teaching. The city is a fair size as well - much bigger than St Andrews. There's a lot of cultural stuff going on most of the time, and a plethora of quite impressive drinking establishments too.

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for in a university? I might find it easier to answer your queries if you specify that a little better.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of reputation St. Andrews is definitely the tier above York. Buut, in the grand scheme of things these things don't matter too much. If you're miserable at St. Andrews then go for it.

It's a small place, some people love it, some hate it!

(Original post by annarose1)
    I'm a first year student at St Andrews University, and am still struggling to settle in. Despite the great academic reputation, I am finding it isolating and claustrophobic and have struggled to make friends.
    I went for an interview at York in February and they offered me a place to start 2nd year there in September.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to say or to go? Is there anyone at York who could give me an honest opinion of what it's like to study there?

Thank you

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 30, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.