Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stress and Anxiety help required :)?

Announcements Posted on

Hey
    So I recently did my January exams (A2) and I've always been a person who worries more than most but I think it is probably getting to the extreme.
    I also set myself VERY high standards (I want A*A*AA for my A levels) which basically always push me to the limit and i'm very competitive and always want to be the best at school and get the highest in all of the tests and answer all the questions in class etc. (sad, I know) This doesn't end at school, though - I also work in a hairdressers and I always want to be the best 'saturday kid' there too. Whenever I don't understand something, sometimes all I can do is panic and stress out. Stressing out is pretty much what I do and I know for sure I can't handle it. But I don't even know how do get rid of stress!
    The problem is, is that I do go out with my friends and I see them at school and I love shopping and ice skating, but whenever I'm doing these things, I think to myself 'Oh, I should really be doing work, not being here' and that stresses me out even more! None of this relaxing stuff seems to even help, it just sometimes can make it worse?
    I've got so stressed recently that i've actually become quite ill. I've had panic attacks and I shake sometimes, feel sick, get bad tension headaches and a just aches all the time. This did go away in february when I didn't have too much to worry about but was horrendous in January and is gradually getting worse again now it's March and I know why, it's because I'll be finding out what uni (if any) i'll be going to soon and I just am sick of waiting. Driving me NUTS.
    My mum is wanting me to go to a stress management/councelling thing at her work so I should really be going to that soon and i've also had previous help from my school when I was doing GCSEs. But has any one got any other ideas on what I can do to help myself? How to get rid of stress without actually worrying that I'm doing something wrong by doing so? (prefferably not expensive although I do have a Wii with Wii fit if thats any help?)

Sorry for the really long post, I just hope someone out there can give me some advice! x
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are many ways to relax and you should be able to find one that fits your schedule and your lifestyle. Here are a few ideas:

Aromatherapy: A few drops of certain essential oils can do wonders and drugstores and health food stores even sell some mixes that are targeting a specific area like stress, mental awareness, fatigue, depression, etc. You can find out more about specific oils here: http://www.relaxation-at-home.com/aromat…

Reading: If you have a few minutes to spare, then reading a few pages or a chapter is a great way to relax and think about other things.

Meditation: Once again, if you can commit a few minutes early in the morning or whenever you have a chance, then learning to meditate could help you relax: http://www.relaxation-at-home.com/relaxa…

Tea: I would try to stay away from strong coffee and strong tea, but there are plenty of herbal teas that can help you relax like chamomile and other herbal teas or tisanes: http://www.relaxation-at-home.com/health…

Exercise: This is one of the best ways to relax. Go out for a jog, do yoga or pilates, or even go for a walk around where you live. Pay attention to your surroundings and you'll soon forget about your worries.

Sleep: You should aim to get at least 8 hours of sleep and some people need more. When you don't get enough sleep, your body and mind aren't ready to handle the stressful situations you come across.

Learn more about stress and how you can reduce it!

Best of luck and keep trying natural remedies before resorting to medications and drugs that can damage your body.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had General Anxiety disorder. I understand how you feel about some relaxation things making you more stressed (it's difficult to take your mind off it)
    My best way of coping with my worries is to talk about them. This sounds really sad and stuff but it helps me a lot. Not just some creep sitting at the other side of a desk but a person (better if they are the opposite sex as they don't think the way you do) that you trust that will help you to realize it is nothing to worry about.
    Talking helps! Especially when they are close to your heart and won't judge you
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take Valium.

Works for me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi i had extreme anxiety at college doing a2, i got aaaa for as, having previously got cccd at as, so i was sooo shocked, plus i didnt have support from mates etc. dont panic in an exam! is my advice as i did and i couldnt function for 3 weeks after, so ask to go in a room on ur own before u panic. you sound okay in the fact uv got mates, make the most of it, go out with them and be happy its a welcome break and support from work
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You could always take up smoking :dontknow:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous)
    hey
    so i recently did my january exams (a2) and i've always been a person who worries more than most but i think it is probably getting to the extreme.
    I also set myself very high standards (i want a*a*aa for my a levels) which basically always push me to the limit and i'm very competitive and always want to be the best at school and get the highest in all of the tests and answer all the questions in class etc. (sad, i know) this doesn't end at school, though - i also work in a hairdressers and i always want to be the best 'saturday kid' there too. Whenever i don't understand something, sometimes all i can do is panic and stress out. Stressing out is pretty much what i do and i know for sure i can't handle it. But i don't even know how do get rid of stress! :s
    the problem is, is that i do go out with my friends and i see them at school and i love shopping and ice skating, but whenever i'm doing these things, i think to myself 'oh, i should really be doing work, not being here' and that stresses me out even more! None of this relaxing stuff seems to even help, it just sometimes can make it worse?
    I've got so stressed recently that i've actually become quite ill. I've had panic attacks and i shake sometimes, feel sick, get bad tension headaches and a just aches all the time. This did go away in february when i didn't have too much to worry about but was horrendous in january and is gradually getting worse again now it's march and i know why, it's because i'll be finding out what uni (if any) i'll be going to soon and i just am sick of waiting. Driving me nuts.
    My mum is wanting me to go to a stress management/councelling thing at her work so i should really be going to that soon and i've also had previous help from my school when i was doing gcses. But has any one got any other ideas on what i can do to help myself? How to get rid of stress without actually worrying that i'm doing something wrong by doing so? (prefferably not expensive although i do have a wii with wii fit if thats any help?)

sorry for the really long post, i just hope someone out there can give me some advice! :d x
    stress inoculation training!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same and i don't know what to do anymore.
    (Original post by MarshyMallowyFace!)
    I had General Anxiety disorder. I understand how you feel about some relaxation things making you more stressed (it's difficult to take your mind off it)
    My best way of coping with my worries is to talk about them. This sounds really sad and stuff but it helps me a lot. Not just some creep sitting at the other side of a desk but a person (better if they are the opposite sex as they don't think the way you do) that you trust that will help you to realize it is nothing to worry about.
    Talking helps! Especially when they are close to your heart and won't judge you
    you said you 'had' , what did you use to get rid of it or how do you manage it ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I mean have
    It isn't so bad now, my 'boyfriend' and I are working through it and he asks his psychologist about new things that I can do to help every week (He had cancer and is going through post-traumatic stress)
    A lot of the things are on the internet.
    With Anxiety there is often at least one thing that you are completely neutral about, hardly worrying more than a person without anxiety. For me, this is horses and working with children.
    I spend at least 24 hours a week doing these things, therefore I relax myself, and it takes me longer to work myself up.
    Also, with things you get very very very stressed and worried about (for me that would be driving and the beach) go to them/do them with a person you trust and that likes that thing. I prefer with only one person that knows about my GAD as then I can talk it through and they understand if I get too scared and want to leave.

Also, don't dive straight into things. I couldn't even look at the sea without having a panic attack, but now I can stand on the steps down to the beach. Take it slowly, be daring but don't try and kill yourself about it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=MarshyMallowyFace!;3671069 7]Sorry I mean have

With Anxiety there is often at least one thing that you are completely neutral about, hardly worrying more than a person without anxiety. For me, this is horses and working with children.
    I spend at least 24 hours a week doing these things, therefore I relax myself, and it takes me longer to work myself up.

That's a brilliant point... thanks!
    For me it would be gardening and walking the dogs on a beach.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey
    So I recently did my January exams (A2) and I've always been a person who worries more than most but I think it is probably getting to the extreme.
    I also set myself VERY high standards (I want A*A*AA for my A levels) which basically always push me to the limit and i'm very competitive and always want to be the best at school and get the highest in all of the tests and answer all the questions in class etc. (sad, I know) This doesn't end at school, though - I also work in a hairdressers and I always want to be the best 'saturday kid' there too. Whenever I don't understand something, sometimes all I can do is panic and stress out. Stressing out is pretty much what I do and I know for sure I can't handle it. But I don't even know how do get rid of stress!
    The problem is, is that I do go out with my friends and I see them at school and I love shopping and ice skating, but whenever I'm doing these things, I think to myself 'Oh, I should really be doing work, not being here' and that stresses me out even more! None of this relaxing stuff seems to even help, it just sometimes can make it worse?
    I've got so stressed recently that i've actually become quite ill. I've had panic attacks and I shake sometimes, feel sick, get bad tension headaches and a just aches all the time. This did go away in february when I didn't have too much to worry about but was horrendous in January and is gradually getting worse again now it's March and I know why, it's because I'll be finding out what uni (if any) i'll be going to soon and I just am sick of waiting. Driving me NUTS.
    My mum is wanting me to go to a stress management/councelling thing at her work so I should really be going to that soon and i've also had previous help from my school when I was doing GCSEs. But has any one got any other ideas on what I can do to help myself? How to get rid of stress without actually worrying that I'm doing something wrong by doing so? (prefferably not expensive although I do have a Wii with Wii fit if thats any help?)

Sorry for the really long post, I just hope someone out there can give me some advice! x
    Be careful that you don't stress yourself out over stress! Given that you sound like what they call an 'A' type personality you might start striving very hard to be stress free....

First accept that you will always feel competitive and as if you want to achieve very highly. It is natural for you. You can use it to your benefit as a spur to work hard and get things done and achieve a lot.

Secondly, as you've recognised, excess stress can tip over into being non useful. Someone described it to me like this once: Its like a tyre... not enough air (like some people) and it doesn't move the car well, just the right amount of air and everything is fine, fill it up too much and you start bouncing down the road, out of control.

So you have to 'let out some air' and you will have to learn to do this in a way that you can continue to use all the way through your life as you're unlikely to become a totally laid-back personality who doesn't care much about results. You need to build up a kind of set of things that work for you.

Rather than try relaxation techniques try exercise that burns up excess adrenalin (which you probably have a lot of)... jogging, aerobic exercise, a martial art, swimming, anything really... the Wii fit is a good idea..

Remind yourself that a short break will make you even better at working, memorising and achieving things.

Going to a stress management course is an excellent idea. There is also lots of advice on line about techniques for dealing with stress.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 12, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.