The Student Room Group

Are rich people more important than poor people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sternumator
May be it would be other professions that changed jobs more but the wages of highly or semi highly skilled people would fall and the low skilled wages would increase. People need a higher wage to persuade them to change jobs because they have better alternatives. The only people that wouldn't have better alternatives are people provide services only to ther poor, like the ones you pointed out, providing these things only costs the rich money so it is good that those jobs have been got rid of.

The flaw in your argument is the premise that they would have better alternatives. They wouldn't.

Without the working poor and their individually small, but collectively very large expendable income, millions of semi-skilled workers (junior and senior retail mangers, white collar financial service workers ect etc) would find themselves unemployed. In the absence of semi-skilled work, semi-skilled workers would be forced to take menial jobs. Supply would remain high and wages would remain low.

Original post by Sternumator
If I were to give injections that cured cancer who you value it more, people with cancer or people without cancer? If I built a building in London who would value it more, a londoner or a north korean who cannot travel to london?

This is just reductio ad absurdum. A North Korean's valuation of a building in London which they cannot travel to is utterly meaningless.
Reply 61
No, because its the poor people that do all the work, "rich" people a.k.a people who lead can always be replaced by other people who can lead or sit in offices and make decisions, but people who do hard labour can't be replaced as easily.
Original post by Chucklefiend
The flaw in your argument is the premise that they would have better alternatives. They wouldn't.

Without the working poor and their individually small, but collectively very large expendable income, millions of semi-skilled workers (junior and senior retail mangers, white collar financial service workers ect etc) would find themselves unemployed. In the absence of semi-skilled work, semi-skilled workers would be forced to take menial jobs. Supply would remain high and wages would remain low.

This is just reductio ad absurdum. A North Korean's valuation of a building in London which they cannot travel to is utterly meaningless.

As with the doctor example I am using extreme examples to illustrate my point better. How about somebody who can make an income of £1 million a year from running the building as a hotel or someone who can make 0.9 million a year by renting it out as flats?
neither one is more important, the rich couldn't be rich without the poor and would be poor themselves and the poor wouldn't have work or money without the rich...
Original post by the bear
You only have to look at wealthy pop "stars" like addelle ... she is rolling in it but is a complete waste of a considerable amount of space which could be used for a donkey sanctuary or a biscuit factory

I disagree, I think she's a good singer despite being quite gobby.
Reply 65
NO! :biggrin: I just thinkt hat they make an effort to stand out and WORK HARD, however having said that it might be that the poor are so, not because they are lazy or don't work but because of the places they are and the upbringing or environment. :smile:
Reply 66
A rich man creates jobs. A poor man does the job the rich doesn't want to do.

In every society there will need to be a working class, you don't expect the rich to assemble their own Rolls Royce now do you?
In my opinion everyone is important for the economy as if there is no poor people who would do trivial jobs that seem less important usually but have much importance if one ponders deeply.
Original post by Cool Kid
What about the mechanisation of the work force? Many low paid jobs can/are being mechanised.

Yeah so that greedy employers can cut labour costs and increase their profit. I dont see how that equates to rich people being more important.

And also: who makes the machinery that allows for some jobs to be mechanised? :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by MrHappy_J
Yeah so that greedy employers can cut labour costs and increase their profit. I dont see how that equates to rich people being more important.

And also: who makes the machinery that allows for some jobs to be mechanised? :holmes:

So are you saying businesses shouldn't try to be efficient? :s-smilie:
Engineers make the machinery, and engineers don't tend to be poor.

It's a sad reality that most of the poor are not academically gifted and we live in a world where there is little need for those who are not academically gifted because robots tend to do their job better.
The rich might create jobs but without the poor, there would be no jobs to create because of supply and demand. Economically speaking, both are as important as each other as an economy cannot function without either.
So are you saying businesses shouldn't try to be efficient? :s-smilie:
Engineers make the machinery, and engineers don't tend to be poor.

It's a sad reality that most of the poor are not academically gifted and we live in a world where there is little need for those who are not academically gifted because robots tend to do their job better.

So theres no need for bus drivers, nurses, cleaners, plumbers, electricians, waiters and catering staff?

...if you say so.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
So theres no need for bus drivers, nurses, cleaners, plumbers, electricians, waiters and catering staff?

...if you say so.

Where did I say we don't need anyone who isn't academically gifted? :s-smilie:
Protip - read what is written and don't substitute words.
Where did I say we don't need anyone who isn't academically gifted? :s-smilie:
Protip - read what is written and don't substitute words.

"we live in a world where there is little need for those who are not academically gifted"-your own words.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by AbuAK
No, because its the poor people that do all the work, "rich" people a.k.a people who lead can always be replaced by other people who can lead or sit in offices and make decisions, but people who do hard labour can't be replaced as easily.

Well really it's the other way around. Pretty much any one can work say on the shop floor, but it's not every one that can turn a company around and make a big profit. It's the workers that are more replaceable than the top CEO's
Original post by de_monies
Well really it's the other way around. Pretty much any one can work say on the shop floor, but it's not every one that can turn a company around and make a big profit. It's the workers that are more replaceable than the top CEO's

...and employers rely on workers to make something of the company.
...and employers rely on workers to make something of the company.

In a theoretical scenario of a supermarket, the workers on the floor are more dispensable than the guys at the top, because there are more people at the bottom that can do the same job
Original post by de_monies
In a theoretical scenario of a supermarket, the workers on the floor are more dispensable than the guys at the top, because there are more people at the bottom that can do the same job

how does that mean that rich people on a whole are more important? explain to me how a top earning footballer for example is more important than a nurse?

i used to live with a man who worked full time at mcdonalds and spent the rest of his free time volunteering as a paramedic. he didnt earn a penny from it but he saved lives. how is that less important than being a manager at a CEO? all they do is twiddle their thumbs making decisions that will probably have a negative effect on the lives of their employees but will bring them a great big fat cheque.

all this reminds me of a song lyric from sweeney todd. "The history of the world my love, is those below serving those up above. How gratifying for once to know, that those above will serve those down below!"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
If it wasn't for the poor, then the rich wouldn't be rich.
this is the most stupid question I have ever heard, of course they aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending