Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Islam isn't the worst religion.

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    how is fasting positive in practical terms?

and theres nothing wrong with consuming alcohol as long as its in reasonable amounts
    Fasting in Islam is a way for us to empathise with the poor people who have no food.
    When you fast, you go for 15 hours without food, and we only do that for 30 days. People who have no food live their whole lives like that, and not just for 15 hours, but even days. And they die as a result of that.

Fasting is also a great way of dieting ;D LOL Ah, but yes, in Islam, when we fast, we also try to change our habits too. The month of Ramadan is the opportunity of doing good, doing better than before.

For example, my dad used to smoke quite alot. He realised that smoking is not very good for our body and Ramadan forbids smoking. When he fasted, it also stopped him from smoking. Yes it is very difficult but it's worth it in the end and my dad smokes no more! Staying away from those cigarettes for 30 days made sure he stayed away from them for good!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fasting is quite possibly the worst way of losing weight aswell . . .

Especially if you're only eating at night, not only are you starving yourself of nutrients and energy, you're more likely to put on weight if you just pig out in the evenings. In the same way that you should eat breakfast else you end up putting on weight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facdroit)
    -+Islam is often portrayed as the worst religion.
    I disagree, I think Islam has a lot of positive things to it which every person can learn from.
    Some of the beliefs are of course a little extrem to modern western civilisations but it doesn't deserve all the bad rep it's getting.
    Just to elaborate a bit: Some of islam's practices are very positive in practical terms: fasting , prayer(the physical movements) , not consuming alcohol etc.
    If we're able to differentiate between which parts of Islam are positive and which are not, what's the purpose of the religion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it defo isnt the worst!
    i mean come on it prohibits you from drinking alcohol-alcohol is just bad for the body so whats the point of drinking it?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantafreakinga)
    it defo isnt the worst!
    i mean come on it prohibits you from drinking alcohol-alcohol is just bad for the body so whats the point of drinking it?
    In small quanitties it has positive effects as it contains antioxidants.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    Fasting is quite possibly the worst way of losing weight aswell . . .

Especially if you're only eating at night, not only are you starving yourself of nutrients and energy, you're more likely to put on weight if you just pig out in the evenings. In the same way that you should eat breakfast else you end up putting on weight.
    fasting is not about losing weight its about having an understanding of the less fortunate and remembering the time the prophet introduced the quran (the holy book) and whats so bad about putting on a few pounds for a MONTH you can just burn it off afterwards!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    How is this positive? The only thing that makes sense from those three is the no alcohol, I suppose you could argue for health reasons. But, I don't need a fairy tale book to tell me what is good and bad for me thanks, I can make my own decisions.

Edit: Also, the link you gave to Wikipedia clearly states that fasting 'may' have benefits. It's not been proven conclusively. In any case, it's irrelevant.
    Hello my 40k friend, You go on about Fasting being not postive, but if u were a Muslim u would understand it is, as it strengthens your spirtual side and makes you alot stronger as a person mentally.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    more than 80 % of the population have more than the acquired limit
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    More bad than good as a whole imo, don't you think? :holmes:
    The same can be said about ALL religions.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantafreakinga)
    fasting is not about losing weight its about having an understanding of the less fortunate and remembering the time the prophet introduced the quran (the holy book) and whats so bad about putting on a few pounds for a MONTH you can just burn it off afterwards!
    I know, I didn't say it was just about losing weight, but people mentioned it as a positive so I thought I would point out that's it's not a good way to lose weight.

(Original post by liquid394)
    Hello my 40k friend, You go on about Fasting being not postive, but if u were a Muslim u would understand it is, as it strengthens your spirtual side and makes you alot stronger as a person mentally.
    But weaker physically as it drains your energy . . . :rolleyes:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    religions are only positive because people ignore the bad bits. If someone really, truly, 100% followed christianity (everything commanded in the bible), they would have committed some seriously heinous crimes. Islam may have some radical ideas, but at least muslims don't pretend parts of the Qu'ran don't exist and then criticise other religons for being 'violent' like christians do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fasting is going to starve the body of nutrients so how's that positive? :holmes:

And consuming alcohol in small quanitites is good for you as it contains antioxidants . . . :holmes:
    The point of fasting is to teach self control and to raise awareness of poverty in the world. Fasting also encourages us to abstain from bad deeds and to promote good. No-one can always be good, but fasting acts like a promise to Allah so it gives us another reason to. Personally, I enjoy fasting because it's a challenge

Who drinks alcohol moderately these days? The cons out weigh the pro's when it comes to alcohol. Alcohol can lead to addiction, depression, stroke and cirrhosis of the liver. Alcohol usually ends up leading to bigger sins being commited.

I dont see how people can think religion is a bad thing, theres many aspects that can be "perceived" as bad but most of it teaches how to lead a good life.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know, I didn't say it was just about losing weight, but people mentioned it as a positive so I thought I would point out that's it's not a good way to lose weight.

But weaker physically as it drains your energy . . . :rolleyes:
    Islam only states that the ones that are physically able are allowed to fast
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    More bad than good as a whole imo, don't you think? :holmes:
    No, I don't think so.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar.)
    Who drinks alcohol moderately these days? The cons out weigh the pro's when it comes to alcohol. Alcohol can lead to addiction, depression, stroke and cirrhosis of the liver. Alcohol usually ends up leading to bigger sins being commited.

I dont see how people can think religion is a bad thing, theres many aspects that can be "perceived" as bad but most of it teaches how to lead a good life.
    I do, I have maybe one or two glasses of wine a week, as do my parents. I personally can't see how most of it is a good thing, it just gives you often silly rules that make your life more difficult for no actual proven reward at the end of it. And it's the reason for many wars which kills millions of people.

Islam only states that the ones that are physically able are allowed to fast
    I didn't mention that. Even if you are fit and well it still drains your energy which makes daily tasks more difficult.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Islam is stupid. Just as Christianity and Judaism are stupid. The Abrahamic religions have both good and bad things, but they certainly have been a force for bad in the world, Christianity in the past, and Judaism and Islam today.

They're not bad or one isn't the 'worst', they're just stupid religions with stupid beliefs and that leads stupid people to do stupid things.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do, I have maybe one or two glasses of wine a week, as do my parents. I personally can't see how most of it is a good thing, it just gives you often silly rules that make your life more difficult for no actual proven reward at the end of it. And it's the reason for many wars which kills millions of people.

I didn't mention that. Even if you are fit and well it still drains your energy which makes daily tasks more difficult.
    Not really lol, i used to play football and mountain bike when i was fasting |
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're right, it's not the worst; but it's still awful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say fasting wasn't positive. I just said, it hasn't really been proven conclusively either way.

You said in your OP "I think Islam has a lot of positive things to it which every person can learn from." Now your saying I have to be a Muslim to understand. Make your mind up.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Those silly rules include things like donating to charity, treating your elderly with respect, caring for the world, keeping clean as well as telling us to abstain from things which are harmful for us for instance eating pork. Pork can be contaminated with parasites and worms which we can then be infected with. I've heard 1 in 6 americans have these worms in their muscles. Im not too sure on this but theres usually a grain of truth somewhere in there.

It has also taught and inspired many discoveries in science. The Qu'ran states how the earth revolved around the sun. It also details information about the foetus and conception. At the time when the world was considered flat, the Qu'ran had stated that it was in fact spherical. All this was over 1000 years ago.

Usually war is a result of greed and power. Fasting does make tasks more difficult, otherwise it wouldn't be a challenge of willpower.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.