Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To make the UK better?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a pretty simple question what would you do to make the UK a better place? Realistically or theoretically it doesn't matter! Threads are going up all the time on how the UK is bad, "we just have a irresponsible attitude to the beauty of nature." and one day we might be reduced to a prison, criminal invested country or what not! I fail to accept this and I know we're pretty glum right now but I'm sure in maybe that far off distant future we'll bounce back!

So again I ask you TSR what would you do to make the UK a better place?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Generate more jobs, so people can come off benefits. I know it's not that simple cos we haven't really got the money to create more jobs and even if there were more, some people are lazy so CBA to get a job.

I'm glad the government are raising the school leaving age cos then people can get a-levels or equivilent BTECs/ NVQs so can actually get a half decent job. Plus it stops 16-18 year olds just dossing about all day, it gives them something constructive to do. But everyone should be entitled to the same standard of education, so perhaps bringing back something similar to the 11+ and then grammar schools for those that pass. BUT IMO 11 is too young to basically decide your whole future so either make it older and high schools start in year 9 like they used to where I'm from or make it easier for kids not at grammar schools to transfer if they improve a lot.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Secularisation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Equal educational opportunity for all would be the main thing. Teachers should be paid more to encourage more talent into the profession. All classes in schools should be setted, so that the bright/hard working students aren't held back by badly behaved ones, or ones who don't follow the work easily, and the badly behaved ones, or ones who struggle, are given the attention they need. This may necessitate bigger schools or at least bigger 6th forms, as A level classes are already quite small.

People should be able to leave school at 14 and 16 (but not be forced to) to take on an apprenticeship or similar work which will lead them into a career. This should not be done on a financial basis but on the basis of academic ability: I don't see a reason why people who are never going to flourish at school, and have no intention to do so, should be forced to stay on until they are 18.

The number of people going to university should drop significantly, however ability to get in should become more based purely on ability rather than whether you were schooled in a good area. Ideally university intake should be around 10-20% (this sounds really low, but think of all the people who leave university with effectively useless degrees, and all the jobs that now require degrees that never used to. For years, we survived with only 5% of people going to university. Anything less than a 2:1 these days seems worthless.) However, there should be a drive for those who don't go to university to pursue careers.

Finally, exams should be based on ability in a subject, rather than time management under pressure, and exam skills. This will make exams fairer and mean students actually have to learn the subject (and read the books for English literature, for example).

If this would work, then the educational divide between rich and poor should shrink, graduate jobs would become more valuable, people wouldn't feel like their only path is to £45000 debt from a degree (In fact, with a lower intake, fees would probably drop or disappear, making it even fairer for people from poorer backgrounds). Bright people would be able to flourish, and the less bright people would be given the support they need to reach their potential.

Oh yeh, and another thing, get rid of advertising. Everywhere. Just no more adverts. It would probably work in the long term. XD
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Free fried chicken for everyone.

Free year passes to Disney land for eveyone.

Any prime minister in power has to do any speech in a costume alternating from any character in whinne the pooh to bugs bunny in looney tunes

yay for a happy UK
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The one thing that can make the whole world/anywhere a better place:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I also agree that secularisation would make the UK a better place and also a ban on narrative news articles.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To me, just a few changes would make the world of difference:

- Get out of all these ****ing wars which it feels like we're entering every 5 mins.
    - Stop giving so much aid to other countries
    - stop giving so much of the government's money to charities, let the taxypayer have more money in their pocket and allow them to choose which charity to support.
    - DECRIMINALISATION OF DRUGS (big one)
    - Legalisation of Marijuana
    - Making it impossible for all those ****ing chavs to keep being parasites. People say "its only a minority that cheat the system", yet on shows like Jeremy Kyle every day they manage to find different people who clearly cheat the system, its messed up.
    - Get rid of EMA completely, if its not already happening.

Gonna get a whole lotta negs; get at me dawg :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Put some people with some ****ing sense in charge of the country. I don't know much about politics but if ever I catch BBC Parliament, all they do is shout over eachother and the speaker tries to 1up someone from the other team and make all the arse-lickers behind them cheer and wave their papers. I can't believe these morons actually have some sort of decision making power.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confuzzled92)
    -Ban production of reality tv shows.
    -A cap on high income.
    This, and this again.

We have created a nation of zombies. Fuelled by cr*ptastic tv to keep them from thinking. Clever move by the 'higher powers' really. Keep the mindless worker bee's entertained. Stop them questioning and finding out whats really going on.

How to make the UK better...well thats a tricky question. Most people will say 'more jobs, less people on benefits...maybe better education? Less immigration'. Stereotypical responses.
    My personal beliefs go as follows-

1) We need a COMPLETE government change. Not just in the UK. The way things are run is horrendous. The banking system plunges the nations people into serious debt. The entire system is corrupt.
    So step one; get a pure, uncorrupt government in power who want genuine change for the good of the people.

Until this happens the UK and the rest of the world will not be happy.

2) After the government change we need to seriously sort out these areas=

a) Education. Is it really right to allow private education? As a privatley educated child I know first hand that the education is not necessarily better but it does create a 'particular individual'. We need a standard decent level of education for everyone. We need the future generations to want to learn. Teachers must have a serious passion for their subject. The entire way of teaching needs to be changed and adapted for certain individuals. Some kids simply can not learn by reciting from books. Others find practical activities no help. If required have separate classes. Let these children get to their max potential and enjoy it!

Then for genuinely gifted children schools to nourish there gifts from an early age. But at the same time don't hinder the 'not so gifted children' into thinking they are not as good.

b) Health care. The UK definitely has one of the best health care systems in the world. Contrary to what people say..If we break a leg or require an serious operation it is done and sorted. In america you are screwed if you don't have insurance or the cash in hand...Some country's like Egypt have 'free healthcare' but its appalling.

What does need changing is- we need more hospitals. Which provides more jobs. And a better standard of care. Again we need people to be passionate about their jobs.

c) Military. Get rid of it. (And this comes from a forces brat whereby every adult I knew up to the age of 18 was military related.) Humans need to learn to cooperate. Stop being divided by nations and start being united by a species and member of earth.
    The cost of world war 2 could have created a Utopian society for EVERY HUMAN ALIVE. Just something to think about.

Not to mention the defense systems in each country are again...one of the most corrupt.

d) Jobs. If children are passionate about their education and can pick a job they are passionate about. Then we can become damn happy humans. We also need to get rid of some jobs. This consumerist world we have created is appalling. We do not need 100 clothes shops selling the same ****e stuff with different tags on.

Buying stuff is not helping anyone. But only hindering those who really need the money.

How is it fair for one person to earn 25 million a year....and some earn less than 0.1% of that? Its not. So as quoted person above said, a cap on income.

So yes, create more jobs that help people. Help society. Help evolution and progression.

Science for one needs to be encouraged. And void of all corruption (which is is currently reeked in).

3) The most controversial of all! Yay, got to love it.
    A serious, serious thought on life and death. Regarding the elderly, highly disabled and birth rate.

The more people we have the worse off we are. That is fact. Obviously too few people is as equally bad but their if a definite middle ground of the optimal amount.

There are hundreds..thousands of children who need adopting. Why is it fair to create more humans when we have plenty that need parents? This mentality that we can 'only love our own' is what holds us back in many aspects of our life. This needs to be addressed. As done the insane birth rate of the planet. People laugh, but seriously. The one-child policy will come into effect if we do not cut down our births our selves. As much as they like to snub that idea..there is only so much land space people! We require shelter, food and nature to survive!

The elderly. Now this one is the trickiest. These people have lived and 'aided society' for their whole lives. Now is their time to chill. But in my opinion when you are staring into space drooling with no recollection of who you are. Its bordering on cruel to keep them alive. As with highly (note the use of highly please before I get attacked) disabled people. What kind of life are they living? We as a society need to question whether its for the good of the person to keep them alive.

So in conclusion. Everything needs to changing. The way people think. The way people live. The way we run our species as a whole.

Phew that was interesting. Serious rant formed.

Meh, do your worse TSR. Not doubt i'll be hung-drawn and internet quartered for this post.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Outlaw fractional reserve banking
    2. Create debt free money
    3. Implement a Land value tax
    4. Abolish all the complicated benefits (particularly housing benefit) and substitute it with a negative income tax
    5. Abolish the NMW
    6. Abolish many government departments for things like consumer protection
    7. Introduce a school vouchers scheme
    8. Take away public sector unions bargaining rights
    9. Legalise drugs
    10. End the wars
    11. Abolish corporation tax
    12. Try to consolidate the current position in Europe, that is preserve the common market.
    13. End subsidies to business
    14. Raise the speed limit on motorways and lower it on dual carriage ways, it is insane that some dual carriageways with really tight exits and entrances are 70mph.
    15. Abolish national insurance taxation, which is a regressive tax and is really borne by the employee.

More might come to me later....
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Meh, do your worse TSR. Not doubt i'll be hung-drawn and internet quartered for this post.
    Reporting for duty.

1) If you don't think politicians have a serious desire to do good, I think you're kind of deluded. You're forgetting that politicians aren't omnipotence, they have to work within a system.They can't just snap their fingers and their ideas are implemented. You're also forgetting that psychological research has shown us that power itself can corrupt people.

2) Inequality in terms of education will always exist. What's to stop parents getting free tuition for their children? What's to stop parents home tutoring their children? Children with well educated parents will always have an advantage.

3) Getting rid of our military won't do nothing. Yes, it would be nice to live in your utopian fantasy but alas the world doesn't operate that way. Wars whether you like it or not, solve problems. It would be nice to be able to communicate and with a genocidal, imperialistic maniac but alas we can't. We will just resort to the olden days where the strongest or the one who has access to rocks/spears win.

4) A cap on income has serious economic disadvantages. Money is a motivator for many people and capping them won't result in more money to give to people. Also, do you mean only income (as from employer) cap or all income cap because people like Larry Page/Mark Zuckerberg have a $1 dollar salary yet are making billions. Also, this is another point. Did you know that Mark Zuckberg is planning on giving 99% of his money to charity once he dies? Him and a couple of other billionaires.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    have all people who go on the jeremy kyle show shot.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly and foremostly, I would stop ****ing with the constitution, particularly if I was in a government with the afront to call itself 'conservative'.

Statutory regulation of the press, renogiation of our terms of membership of the EU, and eventual reintroduction of the death penalty would also be on the agenda. I'd then like to stop Britain's overseas territories serving as cesspits for the world's dirty money and undermining the free market with absurd tax policies; substantially increase military spending; reinstate hereditary Peers and ban any donation to a political party from an organisation or company or which comprises more than, say, 0.1% of its total funding, the shortfall coming from tax revenue. As far as the economy goes, I think a reduction in corporation tax; an increase in taxes on inheritance, property, and unearned capital gains; and an investigation into making VAT less regressive could do a lot of good.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobW)
    Firstly and foremostly, I would stop ****ing with the constitution, particularly if I was in a government with the afront to call itself 'conservative'.

Statutory regulation of the press, renogiation of our terms of membership of the EU, and eventual reintroduction of the death penalty would also be on the agenda. I'd then like to stop Britain's overseas territories serving as cesspits for the world's dirty money and undermining the free market with absurd tax policies; substantially increase military spending; reinstate hereditary Peers and ban any donation to a political party from an organisation or company or which comprises more than, say, 0.1% of its total funding, the shortfall coming from tax revenue. As far as the economy goes, I think a reduction in corporation tax; an increase in taxes on inheritance, property, and unearned capital gains; and an investigation into making VAT less regressive could do a lot of good.
    Why the reintroduction of death penalty and increase in militarily spending?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    4. Abolish all the complicated benefits (particularly housing benefit) and substitute it with a negative income tax
    5. Abolish the NMW
    9. Legalise drugs
    10. End the wars
    12. Try to consolidate the current position in Europe, that is preserve the common market.

Apparently I give you too many positive ratings, but i'd just like to show you my appreciation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    5. Abolish the NMW
    9. Legalise drugs
    10. End the wars

See above for the best answer! I would have given you rep if I weren't out for the day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All chavs should be placed in a small area in order to provoke controlled genocide.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tax the richest a bit more, instead of always taking everything away from the low earners
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Why the reintroduction of death penalty and increase in militarily spending?
    On the death penalty...I'm well aware that countries who use it don't tend to have lower crime rates than those who do; but given the vast array of variables that can affect crime levels, I think it better to examine our experience of the effect of the threat of death in everyday life rather than make a spurious effort to derive a causal link from the international comparisons I mentioned. Everyone, or damn near almost everyone, is afraid of death to an irrational degree. That is to say, people would in practice generaly prefer a lifetime of modest unhappiness to a swift and painless death even when the latter would be better in utilitarian terms. Thus we can expect the death penalty to be a more effective deterrent, relative to the amount of harm it causes criminals who are not deterred (and convicted), than any other punishment. I also take the view that granting someone a swift exit from a miserable life is if anything more humane and mercifull than confining them to a lifetime of drudgery, hard labour, and buggering in prison showers.

I'd favour an increase in military spending not because I like war or threatening war, but because there are plenty of countries out there who do, and rightly or wrongly, I genuinely believe that Britain is a force for good in the world. Better we threaten other countries at gunpoint than Iran or North Korea.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obfuscator)
    Equal educational opportunity for all would be the main thing. Teachers should be paid more to encourage more talent into the profession. All classes in schools should be setted, so that the bright/hard working students aren't held back by badly behaved ones, or ones who don't follow the work easily, and the badly behaved ones, or ones who struggle, are given the attention they need. This may necessitate bigger schools or at least bigger 6th forms, as A level classes are already quite small.
    Whats it like in schools now? When I was at secondary school I think Maths was setted straight from year 7, then everything was setted from year 9 onwards.

I don't think it really does make that much of a difference though, in years 10-11 I chose History for a free option and that class was mixed. So we had people from A band to C band all in the same class and everyone achieved what they should. I think it can have a good effect on the less bright kids, when you shove them all into the thicko class, with more people that will just piss about for every lesson then it is sort of just saying to them "There you go kids, you're thick and we don't give a **** about you". Not really inspiring them to try harder is it. Obviously Maths and Science need to be setted but the rest I'm not convinced.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.