Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

To make the UK better?

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Reporting for duty.

1) If you don't think politicians have a serious desire to do good, I think you're kind of deluded. You're forgetting that politicians aren't omnipotence, they have to work within a system.They can't just snap their fingers and their ideas are implemented. You're also forgetting that psychological research has shown us that power itself can corrupt people.
    If you don't think politicians are corrupt then you are the deluded one mouse. They do have to work within a system. But who created this system? Surely there are 'people at the top'. Surely whoever is governing should 'create the system'. Politicians nowadays 'have no balls'. I don't think I forgot that at all. In fact I believe I covered that point quite nicely using the word corruption in every sentence. But I am guessing you are trying to say that in my 'perfect world' corruption will still overtake due to power. I believe differently. I believe some people are born without greed and apathy. Sadly these people are not 'at the top'

2) Inequality in terms of education will always exist. What's to stop parents getting free tuition for their children? What's to stop parents home tutoring their children? Children with well educated parents will always have an advantage.
    But they need not exist. The plans I stated above will take YEARS to come into play. Its not an overnight job. It will require slightly changing the mentality on one generation. Then slightly changing the mentality of the next...If we create a society that isn't driven by wealth and greed only passion. Then extra tutoring is not needed. Passion itself will drive people

3) Getting rid of our military won't do nothing. Yes, it would be nice to live in your utopian fantasy but alas the world doesn't operate that way. Wars whether you like it or not, solve problems. It would be nice to be able to communicate and with a genocidal, imperialistic maniac but alas we can't. We will just resort to the olden days where the strongest or the one who has access to rocks/spears win.
    Again you are missing the point. Wars don't solve problems. It creates them. Wars create destruction, pain, death and most of all the desire for revenge. They perpetuate the problem.

Regarding genocidal, imperialistic maniacs. Why would people like that exist in the 'perfect society'? Humans have the ability to be happy. But through control and forcing unhappiness via money worries and other things (though lets be honest money is numero uno in 99.9% of issues) we make ourselves unhappy.

4) A cap on income has serious economic disadvantages. Money is a motivator for many people and capping them won't result in more money to give to people. Also, do you mean only income (as from employer) cap or all income cap because people like Larry Page/Mark Zuckerberg have a $1 dollar salary yet are making billions. Also, this is another point. Did you know that Mark Zuckberg is planning on giving 99% of his money to charity once he dies? Him and a couple of other billionaires.
    Serious economic disadvantages..interesting. As someone who wants to see a complete bank reform I have to disagree. I despise how money is run and created in this world.

That's very admirable of Zuckerberg. However they could probably do with the money now. Not in how ever many years whereby he will pootle around on earth frittering it away on fast cars and big houses..No. If he really cared he would use his amazing brain to help others now. Yes fb can do good. Incredible good for charities etc. Its still full of cr*p. Bar Bill Gates who seems a genuinely awesome guy. I don't admire billionaires at all.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobW)
    On the death penalty...I'm well aware that countries who use it don't tend to have lower crime rates than those who do; but given the vast array of variables that can affect crime levels, I think it better to examine our experience of the effect of the threat of death in everyday life rather than make a spurious effort to derive a causal link from the international comparisons I mentioned. Everyone, or damn near almost everyone, is afraid of death to an irrational degree. That is to say, people would in practice generaly prefer a lifetime of modest unhappiness to a swift and painless death even when the latter would be better in utilitarian terms. Thus we can expect the death penalty to be a more effective deterrent, relative to the amount of harm it causes criminals who are not deterred (and convicted), than any other punishment. I also take the view that granting someone a swift exit from a miserable life is if anything more humane and mercifull than confining them to a lifetime of drudgery, hard labour, and buggering in prison showers.

I'd favour an increase in military spending not because I like war or threatening war, but because there are plenty of countries out there who do, and rightly or wrongly, I genuinely believe that Britain is a force for good in the world. Better we threaten other countries at gunpoint than Iran or North Korea.
    Fair enough, what crimes would warrant death penalty? Would treason?

And I agree with you on Britain being a force of good but I don't think a militarily spending would do much. We're one of them most powerful countries now especially for our size. Iran and North Korea just don't and can't match up militarily. And we've got nukes. It doesn't make much sense for a country like ours to increase our spending considering we'll most likely never be a superpower again. There's the USA which is pretty much similar to Britain that threatens other countries hence no need for us to do it ourselves.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    That's very admirable of Zuckerberg. However they could probably do with the money now. Not in how ever many years whereby he will pootle around on earth frittering it away on fast cars and big houses..No. If he really cared he would use his amazing brain to help others now. Yes fb can do good. Incredible good for charities etc. Its still full of cr*p. Bar Bill Gates who seems a genuinely awesome guy. I don't admire billionaires at all.
    why use their products if you don't admire them? they do more good than you and people who are benefit scroungers. Don't bring class into this because there are lots of poor people who have succeeded. they contribute to a better standard of living for everyone including the people who can't be bothered to do anything useful and who don't benefit society. i know lots of millionaires who now work for not-for-profit businesses who help charities and small businesses succeed. why is Bill Gates so special he may give more than everyone else to charity but there are loads of rich people who give lots to charity. these millionaires give more to charity than you and why is it bad that rich people can't give back to society by enjoying themselves and buy expensive products? if there was a cap do you really think people would try this hard to succeed even if there was a cap there wouldn't be a better standard of living for the poorer people it would get worse because there is less technology and new resources.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    These are not in any particular order.
    1) IMMIGRATION. This needs to be tightened up immediately. Britain is a small island, and we cannot act as some sort of care home for people all over the world. The only people allowed in should be people who we NEED, ie. people who have skills that no one else in Britain has/there is a lack of in Britain. As it is, we need to completely shut the border until we have sorted the new rules out.

2)EDUCATION. Needs to be returned to the three Rs and more standard (dare I say it?) old fashioned methods of teaching. I'm sorry, but I never learnt anything from teachers flashing up things on powerpoint presentations. A good mix of old, good techniques mixed with new ones could create a really well balanced method of teaching. Grammar schools should never abolished. I go to one and TBH I cannot imagine it any other way. The top performing kids are allowed to shine at grammar school, due to similar levels of ability and less chance of rowdy kids and bullying (for being clever).
    Children should continue to be allowed to leave at 16, and the number of people going to university needs to be SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. Years ago, very few people actually had degrees, and things were obviously better back then in terms of how many had jobs, and not having a degree didn't make people any less able to do a lot of jobs, did it? Simple fact: University isn't for everyone. It's unfair to put people at a worse position just for not having a degree that wouldn't particularly make them any better at a certain job.

3)MULTICULTURISM. I'm sorry, but I despise multiculturism. It doesn't work and it's an insult to Britain, TBH. The tensions and feelings will never go away. If you want to have a different culture, then you can't stay in Britain, end of.

4)JUSTICE. Our justice system needs a kick up the backside. Can't really say more than that. Young people who commit crimes should be set into the army, not prison. Plus, prison needs to be MUCH tougher. You know, actually make people afraid of going there?

5)PRESERVATION. Haha, it's sad but true that this is probably the last thing on most people's minds on here, but it's very important to me. We need to preserve our countryside, our historic buildings, etc.

6)INDEPENDANCE. Haven't thought about this enough to say how it should be done, but I strongly think Britain needs to be a lot more independent. We need to make things ourselves, not rely on other countries. If it means we miss out on a few things that we simply can't get ourselves in the UK, then so be it.

7)LEARN FROM THE PAST. I mean the good things, not bad things. A mix of the charm of the past and the luxuries and knowledge of today's world could create a fantastic Britain. It would be so good if we could bring back the age of the high street shops ie. The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, lol. You know, family run, small businesses. I wish that when we build buildings, we could built them with the quality and sophistication that our ancestors did. Look at the buildings we build nowadays - all so plain and ugly looking, no pride in them at all. Then look at old buildings - built with wooden floors, exquisite architecture and detail. If only people would pull their heads out of their a*ses and see the beauty that Britain had before it was messed up with people trying to be "modern" and "cheap".

They're just a few of my ideas. May add more if I think of them.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think they should lower the age for proper punishment. There was this fifteen year old in my area who only got two years in prison for killing someone. He then came out of jail and stabbed someone, and got away on bail. He's recently breached his bail. If he had been given a proper imprisonment then this wouldn't have happened, he's literally getting away with everything. The sickening thing is, it's not just him. It's happening all over the UK.

Oh, and I agree with the post above that the form of punishment needs to be a lot of stricter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    1. Outlaw fractional reserve banking
    2. Create debt free money
    3. Implement a Land value tax
    4. Abolish all the complicated benefits (particularly housing benefit) and substitute it with a negative income tax
    5. Abolish the NMW
    6. Abolish many government departments for things like consumer protection
    7. Introduce a school vouchers scheme
    8. Take away public sector unions bargaining rights
    9. Legalise drugs
    10. End the wars
    11. Abolish corporation tax
    12. Try to consolidate the current position in Europe, that is preserve the common market.
    13. End subsidies to business
    14. Raise the speed limit on motorways and lower it on dual carriage ways, it is insane that some dual carriageways with really tight exits and entrances are 70mph.
    15. Abolish national insurance taxation, which is a regressive tax and is really borne by the employee.

More might come to me later....
    Whilst I am libertarian on the far left scale, many of these are good and most importantly: realistic suggestions.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    why use their products if you don't admire them? they do more good than you and people who are benefit scroungers. Don't bring class into this because there are lots of poor people who have succeeded. they contribute to a better standard of living for everyone including the people who can't be bothered to do anything useful and who don't benefit society. i know lots of millionaires who now work for not-for-profit businesses who help charities and small businesses succeed. why is Bill Gates so special he may give more than everyone else to charity but there are loads of rich people who give lots to charity. these millionaires give more to charity than you and why is it bad that rich people can't give back to society by enjoying themselves and buy expensive products? if there was a cap do you really think people would try this hard to succeed even if there was a cap there wouldn't be a better standard of living for the poorer people it would get worse because there is less technology and new resources.
    Erm 1) Why would I bring class into this? It has nothing to do with this. Then again TSR paranoia is required at times.

Do you know of these millionaires or do you know them personally. Because the ones i've personally met are sad sad human beings. One case being a lonely middle-aged guy with 4 ridiculously expensive cars and bloody suit of armour in his living room and he has the mentality of a 13 year old. No charity work being done there. Nice guy...at times. But certainly not the charitable kind. They are greedy, selfish and have little to no concern of others to the point they believe 'poor people' brought it upon themselves.

Bill Gates is special because he now works with his charity, full time.
    I also like the fact he is not giving his children his money and is installing into them that hard work is required to achieve. He seems to have a very nice mind.

2) Regarding the cap.

Why must money be the be-all and end-all of everything? Why should money motivate us? In my perfect society people do things because they want to. Not because they have to. I personally understand that money is required in our current world. I am not stupid. But I abhor it. I despise it. I wish it didn't exist. People are obsessed with money. Which at the end of the day is numbers and time. Life itself! Rather than having this rich lifestyle hailed by all as the ultimate goal. Why don't we aim to be happy? Because money sure doesn't equal true happiness. It equals fear, paranoia and short-term 'happiness' that never gives real satisfaction. The wealth we accumulate during our lives is merely borrowed anyway. I'd rather live a happy life, in the gutter. Than a rich one, sitting amongst fake people who just want to be 'part of the game'.

3) Interesting that you say it would make 'poor peoples' lives worse by creating less resources and technology. Why? Why would it make less 'stuff'? In fact why are people so obsessed with 'stuff'?

In fact i'll leave this awesome guys words here. Humans are obsessed with stuff. Its hilarious.

/
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) Ban New Labour I jest.
    2) Pull out of the EU
    3) Abolish all taxes and replace the 11,000 page tax code with a simple land value tax covered in 4-5 pages.
    4) Abolish all benefits and replace with a universal non-means tested Citizen's Dividend.
    5) Privatise the BBC
    6) Cut all wasteful spending and distribute the savings into the aforementioned Citizen's Dividend
    7) Overturn the smoking ban
    8) Legalise drugs, this is the 21st Century Goddammit!
    9) End all immigration for 5 years.
    10) Deport all illegals.
    11) Referendum on a federalist UK to give Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland more power.
    12) Abolish the House of Lords
    13) Repeal the Human Rights Act
    14) Repeal all unnecessary laws and regulations.
    15) End all foreign wars and rebuild our defensive capacity.
    16) Abolish foreign aid.
    17) Abolish the NMW
    18) Legalise full Sunday trading.

That's about it, it's sort of a mixture between uber-libertarian domestic and social policies coupled with a BNP-lite border policy. Things are never straightforward!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    re write the tax code including a 20% flat rate, cancell all immigration from muslim countries, make unemployment benefits only available to those who worked at least 5/ 10 years, destroy and rebuild aprox 90 % of the housing stock, allow gay marriage, abolish a large chunk of CCTV, raise taxes on alcohol, renew prox 90% of infrastructure, cut BBC license fee, cut development aid, invest in educating teens about pregnancy, regorm nhs, increase freedom of speech, cap all public workers pay at 150,000
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    have all people who go on the jeremy kyle show shot.
    Including Jeremy Kyle
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Erm 1) Why would I bring class into this? It has nothing to do with this. Then again TSR paranoia is required at times.

Do you know of these millionaires or do you know them personally. Because the ones i've personally met are sad sad human beings. One case being a lonely middle-aged guy with 4 ridiculously expensive cars and bloody suit of armour in his living room and he has the mentality of a 13 year old. No charity work being done there. Nice guy...at times. But certainly not the charitable kind. They are greedy, selfish and have little to no concern of others to the point they believe 'poor people' brought it upon themselves.

Bill Gates is special because he now works with his charity, full time.
    I also like the fact he is not giving his children his money and is installing into them that hard work is required to achieve. He seems to have a very nice mind.

2) Regarding the cap.

Why must money be the be-all and end-all of everything? Why should money motivate us? In my perfect society people do things because they want to. Not because they have to. I personally understand that money is required in our current world. I am not stupid. But I abhor it. I despise it. I wish it didn't exist. People are obsessed with money. Which at the end of the day is numbers and time. Life itself! Rather than having this rich lifestyle hailed by all as the ultimate goal. Why don't we aim to be happy? Because money sure doesn't equal true happiness. It equals fear, paranoia and short-term 'happiness' that never gives real satisfaction. The wealth we accumulate during our lives is merely borrowed anyway. I'd rather live a happy life, in the gutter. Than a rich one, sitting amongst fake people who just want to be 'part of the game'.

3) Interesting that you say it would make 'poor peoples' lives worse by creating less resources and technology. Why? Why would it make less 'stuff'? In fact why are people so obsessed with 'stuff'?

In fact i'll leave this awesome guys words here. Humans are obsessed with stuff. Its hilarious.

/
    unless you want a communist society money will ALWAYS motivate every one (because why would you get a job, you say you should do things because you enjoy them but do you really think most people enjoy their jobs?) i do agree with the video our society is based on consumerism but this is impossible to remove unless it changes after generations and generations of people choosing a different interest instead of consumable items unless you want the holy communism? you still haven't mentioned what i said about why use the evil gift givers products if they are so evil. you can simply never buy from big corporations and i think you said you wanted small butchers and bakers guess why this system stopped because it was inefficient and people preferred to spend less money on food. Rich people may be more useful for society but consumers are more powerful (this is the same with consumers and politicians). if what you are saying is believed by most consumers the big corporations would close down, thousands of jobs would be lost more people on befits but the good ol' family butchers ho employers a miniscule amount will be allowed to flourish. but luckily consumers are more clever and more greedy for this to happen.

like i've said in my last post there are more people than just Bill Gates who works with charities and gives large donations they just usually don't bring as much attention to themselves as Bill.

Do you give millions of pounds to charity to help the poor?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reducing the high levels of rape, robbery without doubt...
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    3) Abolish all taxes and replace the 11,000 page tax code with a simple land value tax covered in 4-5 pages.
    5) Privatise the BBC
    8) Legalise drugs, this is the 21st Century Goddammit!
    9) End all immigration for 5 years.
    so what about the poor who live in London who have an artificially inflated house price anyway or those who inherit? why should they be taxed, they might not be able to afford it...?
    why do you wish to privatise an institution like the bbc?
    so you want crack heads and heroin addicts walking willy nilly around our countries streets?
    the last one barely dignifies an answer...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Federalise the country.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nothing can be done. The UK is a lost cause.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    so what about the poor who live in London who have an artificially inflated house price anyway or those who inherit? why should they be taxed, they might not be able to afford it...?
    why do you wish to privatise an institution like the bbc?
    so you want crack heads and heroin addicts walking willy nilly around our countries streets?
    the last one barely dignifies an answer...
    1) You're not "poor" if you have a £250k+ asset in central London, you're one of the richest people on the planet!
    2) Because it's a biased left-wing propaganda machine, believe it or not they should actually paying us for monopolising the public's airwaves. So instead of you sending them £100 per year for a T.V licence they'd be sending you a cheque for £100 because you're sacrificing your right to use a common resource. Does that help change your mind?
    3) Would you turn into a crackhead tomorrow if crack was legalised?
    4) Their our borders we can do what we like with them. This is often forgotten.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make football tickets cheaper. :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Legalise, regulate, and tax all drugs.
    Legalise, regulate, and tax brothels.
    Get rid of national insurance.
    Install an educational voucher system, with govt. enforcing some minimum standards (e.g no creationism ect)
    Keep a tight lid on public spending in the long term (ie, run a surplus in the good times).
    Cut VAT, fuel, and income tax, phase out corporation tax.
    Bring in land/wealth taxes.
    Get rid of free bus passes, winter fuel allowance ect and simply increase the state pension slightly.
    Get rid of EMA and any other schemes like it, and instead favour cutting taxes for those on low incomes-they should be able to afford to send their children to school in the first place.
    Look at getting rid of the minimum wage at least until age 21.
    Cut back on public funding to charities, which should be funded by individuals.
    Reform aid with the main emphasis on reducing birth rate.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    1) You're not "poor" if you have a £250k+ asset in central London, you're one of the richest people on the planet!
    2) Because it's a biased left-wing propaganda machine, believe it or not they should actually paying us for monopolising the public's airwaves. So instead of you sending them £100 per year for a T.V licence they'd be sending you a cheque for £100 because you're sacrificing your right to use a common resource. Does that help change your mind?
    3) Would you turn into a crackhead tomorrow if crack was legalised?
    4) Their our borders we can do what we like with them. This is often forgotten.
    have you not checked the house prices in britain lately? london, regardless of where in london, is one of the most expensive places to live ... for 250k you can get a small house ... for 250k up north youll get a lot more bang for your buck on the housing markets.
    no it doesnt its not a 'biased left wing propaganda machine' as you so elequently put it ... its one of the most reputable broadcasting services in the world admired in many many countries for its ability to provide non biassed and truthful infomation.
    what has that got to do with what i put to you? and regardless, no i find drugs rather distasteful.
    again youre missing the point, how in any way would closing our boarders for five years make a damn bit of difference? firstly youd loose the influx of skilled foreign labour that keep this country ticking over and befor eyou say some crap about them taking british jobs ra ra ra they take the jobs your ordinary british slob wouldnt touch with a barge pole and do them a damn sight better either way plus after your '5 year closure' they would just come through again so youve essentially just delayed your 'problem'
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharri5)
    Nothing can be done. The UK is a lost cause.
    Reminds me of the last 8 lines of this:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 11, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.