The Student Room Group

Access to HE - Oxbridge Applicant?

Hello There,

I am currently in the process of applying to study an Access Course in Business Studies and at the same time, I am also studying an AS and A Level in Mathematics.

My main objective is to attend university as an Undergraduate and then to study Economics.

I have a keen interest in Economics and I am very enthusiatic in the subject, which in turn was the key catalyst in my decision to further my education and gain a degree in the subject.

I am hopeful of attending Universities such as Cambridge and Oxford, which I know may sound very ambitious and a bit farfetched, however, I believe my drive, commitment and hard work will show if I get the chance at an interview.

When it comes to an application, which will be October 2012, I will be very much so underway studying a Full A level in Maths and also the relevant Access Course to Economics, which I am capable of acheiving top grades in (hopefully)

Here is a list of my previous employment which in my opinion is pretty relevant to the subject:

Paralegal - Solicitors Office
Advisor - Co-Operative Bank
Trainee Legal Assistant - Soilictors Office
Advisor - BT.

As you can see these are not the worst jobs for what I want to do, and plus I am only 20.

Do you think it is even slightly credible that I may have a shot of getting Accepted into Oxbridge? Is it even worth trying? Has anybody done this before or knows of a similair story?

Sorry for the essay guys, and thanks for any feedback.
You'd have to contact both universities directly and ask them if they accept Access to HE courses and whether having just the one A level in Maths will be enough in their view to prepare you for their courses.

It may very well be that they will not view you as suitably qualified, but you'd have to check directly with them.
Oxford state that they prefer a mix of Access and A-Levels, which you will have. So, with a good PS, reference and predicted grades I don't see why you couldn't at least get to interview.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/vocational_quals.html

A guy on my Access course got into Cambridge a year or so ago to study history (again, taking an A-Level at the same time). I think one of the major reasons alot of Access students don't try is because of the early deadline. Most people I know hadn't started looking at unis till around November, and it's a monumental step deciding you want to even restart your education, never mind applying to Oxbridge a month from the beginning. If you want to apply, I say go for it. Don't think that Acces is something that's going to hold you back. Just try and make sure you tick as many of their boxes as you can.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have already contacted both universities, and they have both said that they would accept and consider Access Course Students. And then when I informed them that I would have an Alevel in Maths they seemed much more warm to that idea. I think the A level in maths makes my application 10times stronger. Hopefully!
Original post by Jay-K-08
Hello There,

I am currently in the process of applying to study an Access Course in Business Studies and at the same time, I am also studying an AS and A Level in Mathematics.

My main objective is to attend university as an Undergraduate and then to study Economics.

I have a keen interest in Economics and I am very enthusiatic in the subject, which in turn was the key catalyst in my decision to further my education and gain a degree in the subject.

I am hopeful of attending Universities such as Cambridge and Oxford, which I know may sound very ambitious and a bit farfetched, however, I believe my drive, commitment and hard work will show if I get the chance at an interview.

When it comes to an application, which will be October 2012, I will be very much so underway studying a Full A level in Maths and also the relevant Access Course to Economics, which I am capable of achieving top grades in (hopefully)

Here is a list of my previous employment which in my opinion is pretty relevant to the subject:

Paralegal - Solicitors Office
Advisor - Co-Operative Bank
Trainee Legal Assistant - Soilictors Office
Advisor - BT.

As you can see these are not the worst jobs for what I want to do, and plus I am only 20.

Do you think it is even slightly credible that I may have a shot of getting Accepted into Oxbridge? Is it even worth trying? Has anybody done this before or knows of a similair story?

Sorry for the essay guys, and thanks for any feedback.

High grades in Access Plus As in AS and A2 Mathematics, should position you very well. Make sure the PS gets across your interest in Economics and how that interest has manifested its self. If you have a couple of specific areas, which based upon your observation and pondering, demonstrates an insight beyond normal A level economics then that will help. Your pondering do not have to be correct, just coherent. Try and relate your work experience and any hobbies to the demands of studying at undergraduate level and your chosen subject. "Do this implicitly rather than explicitly, you only have 4000 characters for your PS so you have to "kill as many birds as you can with each stone". Doing Access and A level shows great commitment.

Also analyse the vulnerabilities in your "application package", and work out the refutations.

All the best and I hope it works out, you should be able to wack an application in for Oxford or Cambridge (you have to choose one or the other) and 4 other top Unis.
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply! That is the response I was hoping for. That fills me with so much more confidence and motivation, at least now i know it has been done before.

I just need to put the hard work in now and just hope for a shot at an interview. And as you rightly said, I just need to tick as many boxes as possible.

And yes 'Evening Sunrise'. I hope you are right. I feel a lot better about the whole situation now, so i am going to give it my best shot.

Thankyou so much for the advice, It has been a massive help!
Thanks for your reply! That is the response I was hoping for. That fills me with so much more confidence and motivation, at least now i know it has been done before.

I just need to put the hard work in now and just hope for a shot at an interview. And as you rightly said, I just need to tick as many boxes as possible.

And yes 'Evening Sunrise'. I hope you are right. I feel a lot better about the whole situation now, so i am going to give it my best shot.

Thankyou so much for the advice, It has been a massive help!

Your welcome. To be honest when I read posts like yours I generally think oh no someone else who swallowed the wrong coloured pill. I responded the way I did, because of a) some related work experience, b) the rhythm of your post, c) you are creating a plan a long way out.

So it is down to you now.
Reply 7
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have already contacted both universities, and they have both said that they would accept and consider Access Course Students. And then when I informed them that I would have an Alevel in Maths they seemed much more warm to that idea. I think the A level in maths makes my application 10times stronger. Hopefully!

If you want to do Econs at Oxbridge, you don't get brownie points for Alevel Maths as it is an ESSENTIAL requirement at both. Without it your app goes straight to auto-reject.

On a whole yes they 'accept' access courses (in context) esp for PPS, medicine,History, English. Economics & Law are fiercely competitive. Do your research & make sure the DOS at the college you wish to apply to does. Very Important! Some don't regardless of what their website says or admin staff tells you over the phone. I learnt this first hand from attending the mature student summer school @ Cambridge.

If you have a week to spare in July, make an app for the summer school. You get a taster week plus I found it a good way to test the strength of your application (you have to write a ps and list your existing qualifications and proposed course of study) & see if you are on par with other candidates in your field & correct any shortcomings.

(& yes there is a chap that did an access course & Alevel Maths that got an oxbridge interview so it is possible)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending