The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Offer from Notts! Commiserations to those missing out this year, if I could donate an offer then believe me I would! I have no idea which one I am going to choose, any advice would be much appreciated.
Original post by Bob Kelso
Offer from Notts! Commiserations to those missing out this year, if I could donate an offer then believe me I would! I have no idea which one I am going to choose, any advice would be much appreciated.

congratulations! Come to london!
Reply 302
Original post by lcsurfer
Sorry to hear that... friday the 13th is sucking for a lot of people.
im out aswell 2 pre and 1 post interview. It sucks, but there will be something better around the corner for you,
like i have found to keep me entertained for a year or 2 :smile:

Well I'm devastated, of course, but I'm definitely going to reapply next year. I'm in the process of applying for masters courses, but I'm afraid it might be a bit late now. :s-smilie:

My family aren't very supportive of the whole thing, they keep suggesting medical physics/technician and, frankly, I'm sick of it. It's disheartening.
Original post by Annora
Well I'm devastated, of course, but I'm definitely going to reapply next year. I'm in the process of applying for masters courses, but I'm afraid it might be a bit late now. :s-smilie:

My family aren't very supportive of the whole thing, they keep suggesting medical physics/technician and, frankly, I'm sick of it. It's disheartening.

yeah, well my degree isn't exactly a science on so most people look confused at me when i say i want to do medicine haha.
I know it's very disheartening the rejections! one of the reasons ive taken this job is too see the world a bit more before i 'settle' down as it seems for 4+ years.
Have you got feedback from all your interviews? I'm still waiting on Warwick to get mine
Is there a Facebook group for Notts GEM people?? :smile:
Reply 305
Rejected form Notts.

Got the "feedback" in the post today. Not that I am averse to criticism but they have rated my communication skills in the bottom 20% of candidates, which is the exact opposite of the extremely detailed six page feedback report the Civil Service provided to me after the Fast Stream Assessment Centre.

Off to Oxford I go then! I am sure my inability to communicate will fit in quite well there...
Reply 306
Original post by HLS
Rejected form Notts.

Got the "feedback" in the post today. Not that I am averse to criticism but they have rated my communication skills in the bottom 20% of candidates, which is the exact opposite of the extremely detailed six page feedback report the Civil Service provided to me after the Fast Stream Assessment Centre.

Off to Oxford I go then! I am sure my inability to communicate will fit in quite well there...

I guess they look for different kind of communication techniques... the type of applicants are probably also quite different... :smile: which college are you going for at oxford? I suppose the same as your supervisor?
Reply 307
Original post by anoldbaby
I guess they look for different kind of communication techniques... the type of applicants are probably also quite different... :smile: which college are you going for at oxford? I suppose the same as your supervisor?

Probably - I will find out what the problem was soon enough anyway. I hardly ever smile which probably didn't help!

I went for Lincoln College but didn't get it - I'd imagine because nobody in the College has research interests anywhere near my research proposal. Unfortunately I only discovered that this formed quite a large part of selection criteria after I had applied so Lincoln was not a very good choice!

I haven't been allocated to another college yet. It is a pity we can't express second and third preferences - for some reason I was totally convinced we could but when I telephoned Graduate Admissions they assured me I was just being delusional and this system was abolished years ago.

My supervisor is actually retired so he is not formally a full member of any college. He is an emeritus fellow of All Souls' College but I can't apply there. I am however planning to sit the Fellowship Exam this year!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HLS
Rejected form Notts.

I am sorry to hear about Notts, but it's great that you have a fantastic opportunity ahead of you. All the best, in whatever decisions you make.
Original post by Bob Kelso

Awesome news, I'm very happy for you.
Original post by Annora

Don't listen to them. Whilst it's natural for your parents to want you to be settled and getting paid, that shouldn't come at the price of doing a job you dislike!

I wouldn't do a masters degree either unless you're totally in love with your current field of study and can realistically see yourself one day doing research or whatever if GEM doesn't work out. MScs are expensive, difficult and you don't get any financial support. Wouldn't you rather save that money for GEM next year, or at the least go on holiday? :p:
Reply 311
Original post by lcsurfer
yeah, well my degree isn't exactly a science on so most people look confused at me when i say i want to do medicine haha.
I know it's very disheartening the rejections! one of the reasons ive taken this job is too see the world a bit more before i 'settle' down as it seems for 4+ years.
Have you got feedback from all your interviews? I'm still waiting on Warwick to get mine

I got feedback from Warwick that just said I scored highly in communication and teamwork, but low in empathy and integrity. Which is odd because I think it's more the opposite!

Notts gave me a breakdown and I scored high on work experience and personal reflection but low on everything else. :s-smilie:

Original post by Democracy
Don't listen to them. Whilst it's natural for your parents to want you to be settled and getting paid, that shouldn't come at the price of doing a job you dislike!

I wouldn't do a masters degree either unless you're totally in love with your current field of study and can realistically see yourself one day doing research or whatever if GEM doesn't work out. MScs are expensive, difficult and you don't get any financial support. Wouldn't you rather save that money for GEM next year, or at the least go on holiday? :p:

It's not just my parents, though. My aunt is an oncologist and she keeps saying that she doesn't think it's worth reapplying. I don't know what she means by that, but it sucks coming from her as obviously her opinion means a lot to me.

I'm basically considering a masters because it will give me another option if I get rejected in the second round. I don't know if I could do the HCA thing full time for another year - there are no training opportunities and I feel pretty isolated living with my parents and commuting to work. I don't know what the best thing to do is.
Finally found this thread again!

How's everyone doing?

I'm about to hit the crunch time at Imperial. First exam on Tuesday, then 10 weeks of neuroscience... fantastic. Boooo.
Original post by Hantheman
Finally found this thread again!

How's everyone doing?

I'm about to hit the crunch time at Imperial. First exam on Tuesday, then 10 weeks of neuroscience... fantastic. Boooo.

Hey good luck with the exams!! That will be me this time next year- preparing for first year exams. Just enjoying time off before September arrives! Hows first year been for you Hantheman, is graduate entry medicine as intense as everyone says? How have you managed?
Original post by groovyangel2008
Hey good luck with the exams!! That will be me this time next year- preparing for first year exams. Just enjoying time off before September arrives! Hows first year been for you Hantheman, is graduate entry medicine as intense as everyone says? How have you managed?

Imperial's is pretty renowned for being tough. I have mates at King's and theirs is a bit easier, but then Imperial get some of the highest grades post-med school so I guess it pays off. Grad Entry will be tough regardless, but it's also really easy to get caught up in it all. People have more free time than they realise and you just need to work hard and make the most of your free time when you have it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm about to take on the monster that is student finance...anybody got any hints or tips?

I went on their calculator thing and it seems to think I could get the entire £9000 for tuition whether I live with my parents or not, but nothing else. Which obviously isn't right...
Reply 316
Original post by Emerald Rose
I'm about to take on the monster that is student finance...anybody got any hints or tips?

I went on their calculator thing and it seems to think I could get the entire £9000 for tuition whether I live with my parents or not, but nothing else. Which obviously isn't right...

Maybe they want to give you more money? :tongue:
Original post by Doctor.
Maybe they want to give you more money? :tongue:

I'd truly love to think so, but having filled out the form it's since told me I'm getting a total of nothing for anything. So I've submitted it, I'll give them a while to sit on it before phoning them up to make sure they know what they're doing. I don't hold out much hope there :rolleyes:
Reply 319
I think I've decided on Warwick, Nottingham GEP, Newcastle GEP and Durham/Newcastle 5-year as my four choices for next cycle. That's assuming I get a reasonable UKCAT score - but if I go over the material again, I shouldn't get lower than last time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending