The Student Room Group

TSR Graduate entry medics and applicants society! Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JumpingJonny
I'll be doing the same :smile:

Ah, I remember your username from somewhere- can't think what from though :tongue: - did you apply for medicine the year before starting biomed, like I did?
Original post by Waterstorm
Exciting to see some more people in the same boat :biggrin:

How come SGUL was your only choice?

I was applying for deferred entry which left me with only 4 choices: King's (KCL), St George's (SGUL), Southampton and Keele. I did terribly in my UKCAT which ruled out King's and Southampton and didn't like the look of the Keele course (which is being discontinued anyway), leaving SGUL as my only option.

Good luck to everyone deciding whether to apply and/or preparing to apply :smile:
Original post by lcsurfer
Im still undecided at the moment to risk applying again (only to warwick) due to not being in the UK as of end of May with this job and unable to predict where i will be come february if i do get an interview... Agh choices choices

I can see your predicament and can understand why you wouldn't want to risk applying again. Good luck with your decision though, I wish I had your experience tbh and as people say a year isn't that long.
Original post by the_alybot
Just thought I'd get a bit of info. upfront from people that are currently applying. Would you say doing a degree in Optometry and then applying for graduate entry medicine is a viable pathway? Would I still be eligible for the 4 programme because I've never heard of anyone doing Optometry and then Medicine. I got 4 rejections again this year and my only offer is Optometry and my heart is still very much set on doing Medicine as a post-grad. So if I choose to firm my offer I still want to know I am eligible to apply for graduate programmes :smile:

You should be eligible for 4 year programmes though probably not all for example Oxford only takes experimental science grads and some courses want post-graduation healthcare experience. Doing a quick UCAS search and checking out the websites of the courses that come up should help. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing how the funding situation or competition for places will change over 3 years. Have you already had a gap year, many people get in during this year and grad entry is more competitive (though probably not as bad as people think) and likely to become more so.

I'm (hopefully) graduating in pharmacy this year and re-applying during my pre-reg year. Just out of curiosity does optometry have the equivalent of a pre-reg year?
Reply 364
Original post by FrenziedPenguin
£5,500 is th maximum outside London providing you fall into the right income bracket. I had lots of issues with SLC and they refused to acknowledge that I was entitled to be income assessed. I had to get my MP to write to them in the end but they soon discovered thier mistake after that.

It also depends on the length of course. If it's a long year you'll get more.

Newcastle, being 45 weeks, is assessed as an extended course so I've been awarded £6662 maintenance for this coming year.
For all you lot applying in September I have a couple of GAMSAT practice question books, the UKCAT 600 questions book, a NEC AS Biology course folder and text book and a couple of OU Science text books.

I don't particularly want to throw them away so if anyone wants anything drop me a pm please :smile:
Original post by adsyrah
It also depends on the length of course. If it's a long year you'll get more.

Newcastle, being 45 weeks, is assessed as an extended course so I've been awarded £6662 maintenance for this coming year.

I finally got the correct assessment (today in fact) and for London on a long course the max available is £8,735.
Reply 367
Original post by apotoftea
For all you lot applying in September I have a couple of GAMSAT practice question books, the UKCAT 600 questions book, a NEC AS Biology course folder and text book and a couple of OU Science text books.

I don't particularly want to throw them away so if anyone wants anything drop me a pm please :smile:

Hey, so does this mean you got in?
Original post by sanjivani
Hey, so does this mean you got in?

Nope, never re-applied :smile:
Reply 369
Original post by lcsurfer

Congrats Katie! and sanjivani if you want it... you'll get it!

:smile: Thanks. Do you know yet where you are going with your role? Good luck with that.
Reply 370
Original post by apotoftea
Nope, never re-applied :smile:

:smile: I can understand. Last week I was analysing if I should move on as well.
Reply 371
Original post by the_alybot
Just thought I'd get a bit of info. upfront from people that are currently applying. Would you say doing a degree in Optometry and then applying for graduate entry medicine is a viable pathway? Would I still be eligible for the 4 programme because I've never heard of anyone doing Optometry and then Medicine. I got 4 rejections again this year and my only offer is Optometry and my heart is still very much set on doing Medicine as a post-grad. So if I choose to firm my offer I still want to know I am eligible to apply for graduate programmes :smile:

I agree with manupalace but just wanted to add a little bit. In my experience GAMSAT GEMs and those who do not specify science degrees as entry req seem to be more relaxed about it. I did meet a couple of people applying to Notts GEM with Optometry. I don't know if you would like to email the GEM schools directly for advise? Most are very happy to help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Witty Username
Me! :smile:

Ah, I remember your username from somewhere- can't think what from though :tongue: - did you apply for medicine the year before starting biomed, like I did?

How are studying and med preparation going for you mates? tbh I have been busy studying and will probably only start preparing for med application in summer:colondollar:
Original post by Crystalline
How are studying and med preparation going for you mates? tbh I have been busy studying and will probably only start preparing for med application in summer:colondollar:

Yeah, got far too much work to do with exams at the moment. Don't have time for anything else. Can't wait for it to be over though, and I'll start preparing properly after.
Original post by Crystalline

Ditto, just trying to get through my uni exams atm. I've got the summer to prep, so it's more important to try my best not to fail my exams right now! :biggrin:
Random question, but if I've failed a module (we only need to pass 11 out of 12 units to get a honors degree), that wouldn't go against me would it?
Reply 376
Is there a Warwick offers day? I thought they told us to keep a certain date free but cant remember when it was and haven't been sent anything yet... thanks!
Reply 377
I think it was a while ago?
Original post by Lizzylu
Is there a Warwick offers day? I thought they told us to keep a certain date free but cant remember when it was and haven't been sent anything yet... thanks!

Do you mean the open day for those with offers? If so, last year it was at the beginning of July. So I imagine it would be similar this year. :smile:
Reply 379
Random question, but if I've failed a module (we only need to pass 11 out of 12 units to get a honors degree), that wouldn't go against me would it?

If you get the overall honours degree, and the grade specified by the Med Sc you are applying to then I don't see why it would go against you.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending